surgery advice

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

surgery advice

Postby sotiredofthis » 01 Feb 2013, 14:21

Hi everyone,
Just a quick re-intro about my situation. I developed a fissure in September after 3 days of constipation. I healed and had a wonderful 6 weeks from November until mid-December when I re-tore. Image I have had IBS for over 20 years and apparently you can get fissures from diarrhea (which is what I usually have) as well as constipation. Never knew that. I have a skin tag so I must have had this fissure for a while and just never knew it as it caused me no pain. I was told for years it was a hemorrhoid. Apparently it was never that.
My CRS has prescribed nitro this go around and I see him again at the end of February. Still have pain everyday and it is so hard to just go about daily life as you all know. Oh, to have November back. :)
Here's my question. I am seriously considering LIS but I'm not sure when I should do it. I have a very busy schedule until June 9th! My daughter is in basketball, I have a conference to go to in the beginning of April and a wedding June 1st which I have to drive 8 hours to go to. Honestly, that drive makes me cry thinking about it. Image I don't know if I should wait until June or try to do it now. I have 4 kids at home that I homeschool and life is just so busy. How long will the recovery be? If I do it in March do you think I can still go to my conference in April? It's a 2 hour drive. My cousin had this surgery on a Thursday and was back to work on Tuesday. I have this awful fear of something going wrong and then I'm laid up for months trying to heal a fistula or something. I'm also worried about the incontinence from the surgery that I pray isn't complicated by my IBS and traveling to all of these things I have coming up. What do you think?
Thanks for the advice! Image
Lisa
sotiredofthis
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 33

Re: surgery advice

Postby sotiredofthis » 02 Feb 2013, 17:56

Anybody?
sotiredofthis
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Mamalucia » 02 Feb 2013, 18:50

I'm not much help as I only had a fissurectomy done Thursday and I'm already basically good as new, but from the stories I've read of people getting the LIS surgery most say the recovery is longer then the expected 2 weeks. So if the pain is at a tolerable level or you know what works best for you in managing the pain and not irritating it, I'd wait. However if the pain is unbearable I'd really consider getting it done now, and just do everything possible so help the healing process and not hinder it. Sorry I can't be more help! Hope you can get better advice!
Mamalucia
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby jr2 » 02 Feb 2013, 18:56

Hi Lisa,
It's such a tough question to provide input on. I haven't had surgery, but I have read dozens of stories about postsurgical recovery, and honestly, every single person would have different advice for you because everyone's recovery is so individual. You could be up and around and feeling great within a few weeks, or you could require more time for healing. Then there is always the possibility of complications, as there is with any surgery. Just no way to predict how things will go for you.
I guess it really mostly depends on you and how much pain you're in, and how much you are willing to rearrange other things in your life to make the time for surgery if the need arises to do that.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but with these fissures, there is just so little any of us can count on!
Good luck with your decision!
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby sotiredofthis » 02 Feb 2013, 20:30

Thank you for the advice. I know it's such a personal decision. So wish this was behind me already!
sotiredofthis
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Davo » 03 Feb 2013, 15:07

Hi Lisa,
As jr2 said everybody is different so recovery times depend upon the individual.
When I was planning my LIS surgery i asked my surgeon if I could take a 2 hour flight seven days following my surgery and he advised me not to.
In my personal opinion you should plan to take at least 7-10 days rest before returning to work following surgery. Yes some people return sooner however i would advise against this to give your body a proper chance to fully recover.
I was back up on my feet within five days and returned to work after 12 days.
To get an idea of what to expect day by day following LIS surgery take a look at my diary i posted last year
http://anal-fissure.org/t4589-my-lis-diary-march-2012-fully-healed-in-4-weeks
Davo
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby sotiredofthis » 03 Feb 2013, 16:52

Thanks for all the advice and the links, Davo.
sotiredofthis
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby aimonaali » 04 Feb 2013, 11:50

My experiences are a bit different. My surgeon said I'd be ready to work the very next day. I'm still studying and I went back to school a day after my surgery. It wasn't too bad because I didn't have to sit for long times.
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby sotiredofthis » 04 Feb 2013, 14:32

Wow, you went back the next day! Did you have LIS? How are you doing now?
sotiredofthis
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby aimonaali » 04 Feb 2013, 15:02

Not the next day but the day after that:) English is not my first language, I should have written that better. Anyways, I did have LIS and I was doing just fine until today... It seems I've had a little re-tearing:/ I already started a thread about that. It's a little over two months now since my surgery.
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?