One fissure presently (2013) - last major one in 2004

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

One fissure presently (2013) - last major one in 2004

Postby snsd » 04 Feb 2013, 13:13

- I had my first “serious” fissure back in 2004; (I say “serious” because I think I may have experienced relatively minor fissures for much of my life – but confused them with hemorrhoids)
- it felt like I was passing razor blades when having a bowel movement; literally thought I was going to die
- mostly recovered after about 5 months - then came back very briefly about 5 months later – only for a couple of days
- recurred November 2012 - so was pretty good for almost 8 years!
- I actually thought I had internal hemerrhoids because my bowel movements are NOT painful this time around
- I actually do have a single external hemerrhoid but it's not causing me problems
- had a colonoscopy a week ago and all is fine
- doctor prescribed Diltiaxem with a Glaxal base cream and sitz baths - but no improvement
- am probably in the tub for at least an hour a day total – 2-3 times
- I have always eaten well - literally drink nothing but water (and lots of it), whole grain breads/pastas..., oatmeal, fruits, vegetables every day...
- I am never constipated - average 3-4 bowel movements per day
- I am currently taking about 3 teaspoons of Metamucil per day which is really helping to bulk up my stool as the fissure often makes it difficult to fully evacuate the bowel when it contracts
- pain typically sets in 30-60 minutes after a bowl movement
- it sometimes doesn't last long; other times hours
- sometimes I get relief in the tub
- thankfully, I've been able to get good night's sleep (7 hours) lately
- I seem to get the most relief lying face down on top of a large yoga ball - with my stomach centred on the ball; I think it somehow relieves the pressure or relaxes those taught sphincter muscles
- have been housebound for the better part of the last 2 months – although once in a while, I’ll go 3-6 hours with little discomfort
- will be seeing my doctor again in a week so we’ll see what happens
- like most people, at my wits end
snsd

Topics: 1

Re: One fissure presently (2013) - last major one in 2004

Postby delasama » 04 Feb 2013, 13:40

sorry to hear about your fissure. i havent been able to get a job in months because of my fissure. and now i feel like im gonna have to rack up the doctor bills after i see a crs soon.good idea about the yoga ball :)
delasama
King Fissure

Topics: 31

Postby snsd » 04 Feb 2013, 13:45

Actually, I lost my business in 2004 because of my fissure. Fortunately, I now have a very understanding boss who allows me to work from home. I literally lie on top of the yoga ball with my computer in front of me. However, I'm going to have to figure out out how to fix my wrenched back/neck - because of trying to use the computer while on top of the yoga ball - once the fissure has healed!!!
snsd

Topics: 1

Postby delasama » 04 Feb 2013, 14:16

i started off with three teaspoons a day per my doctor and it helped alot until day 7 when i had some painful bulky ones. i finally talked to a crs on phone and he said to continue with metamucil, but also take miralax night and morning.which i have been doing for a few days and i have had poop that is perfect tecture(like tooth paste). i take full dose of miralax night and in morning. i only take one teaspoon of metamucil though. been thinking about adding another teaspoon in mornings
delasama
King Fissure

Topics: 31