New issue 5 days post op???

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

New issue 5 days post op???

Postby Mamalucia » 05 Feb 2013, 13:57

I am 5 days post op from a fissurectomy. I noticed while in a sitz bath today a new lump that is tender to the touch and uncomfortable when sitting. Not AF type pain, but like a nasty bruise type of discomfort. I've felt that pain for a couple days but didn't want to go poking around being so fresh from surgery. Well I took a look and it's a pea sized lump. My fissure was/is at the 6'oclock position this lump is at the 9'oclock position about an inch or two away from the anus. I have a call into the medical assistant at my CRS office but was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?
Mamalucia
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Re: New issue 5 days post op???

Postby jr2 » 05 Feb 2013, 17:55

Did you also have LIS? Or just fissurectomy?
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Mamalucia » 05 Feb 2013, 21:07

Just a fissurectomy
Mamalucia
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Mamalucia » 06 Feb 2013, 09:56

Seeing a CRS at my surgeons office today since mine is on vacation. Hopefully he'll be able to tell me what the lump is!
Mamalucia
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby jr2 » 06 Feb 2013, 11:24

Oh good. From the location you describe, it could be any number of things, and really the only way to know is have it looked at. Let us know what you find out!
jr2

Postby Mamalucia » 06 Feb 2013, 15:17

Apparently it's a common thing to happen with LIS...which is funny cuz I was never told I had LIS done. I was only told I was getting a fissurectomy and didn't see the surgeon afterwards so he could explain what he did. Well my CRS was on vacation so I saw one of the other surgeons today at his office and he said there was a note in my chart for fissurectomy and LIS. Kinda peeved I wasn't informed off the additional procedure but at least the mystery bump was explained.
Last edited by Mamalucia on 06 Feb 2013, 15:18, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typos
Mamalucia
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby jr2 » 06 Feb 2013, 19:12

On the one hand I'm not surprised because from what you said about the lump it sounded like the LIS site to me. On the other hand, when a patient gives consent to any surgery, they are supposed to know exactly what they are consenting to. On the other hand, you mentioned somewhere you weren't having spasms since your surgery, so it really did sound like you had LIS. I'm one hand too many.
This really, really should have been discussed with you thoroughly beforehand, especially issues relating to whether you plan on future children or not and the impact this could have on future decisions about childbirth and the potential impact on sphincter function in the future.
jr2

Postby Mamalucia » 06 Feb 2013, 19:22

My thoughts exactly!! I never consented for it...I would have had it been brought up but that is beside the point. He should have spoke with me about throwing in an additional surgery. He didn't tell me any thing that could have been a side effect either...like incontinence and stuff. I haven't experienced any side effects besides the lump but he should have went over all that with me. When he didn't I thought ok this surgery isn't the same as I've been reading in the forum maybe none of their side effects have anything to do with what I'm having done, then it turns out I had what most people had and didn't even know it! The more I think about it the more upset it gets me!
Mamalucia
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby jr2 » 06 Feb 2013, 19:52

That really is upsetting, at the very least, and probably has legal implications depending on what your consent form actually said (like was there any language giving the surgeon consent to perform something he deemed necessary after you had been anesthetized and fully examined.)
To some extent, it is what it is and you can't go back, but it would at least be worth thinking through a bit should you have some kind of consequence occur as a result of your surgery down the line that requires further tretment, or in some way does affect your childbirth decisions.
jr2

Postby Mamalucia » 06 Feb 2013, 20:28

I don't remember exactly what the papers said but I'm going to ask for a copy of them so I can read through it again. I'm not looking to take legal action against him for it but I would like to confront him about it because its very upsetting. I have two amazing boys and am not looking to have anymore children but never realized this surgery could've compromised the possibility...that just upsets me even more! Ugh!! This guy will be getting an earful at my follow up that's for sure!!!
Mamalucia
Proctosphincteranalogist