dosage error?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

dosage error?

Postby coconut » 06 Feb 2013, 11:25

I got a prescription for diltiazem 2% yesterday. The prescription reads that I should be using one inch of the stuff three times a day.
Other people on these boards have been using a pea sized amount 2/day. I tried this and I seem to be having both positive effects and side effects. (I'm slightly dizzy and fuzzy headed, and I don't have a lot of energy.)
Does anyone have a prescription for this much cream? Maybe other people's cream is compounded for more than 2%?
Please lend me some insight. I think this doctor is COMPLETELY clueless. He also really botched putting me on Nitro, saying that it wouldn't cause migraines when everyone and your mother will tell you the stuff does cause migraines. And he keeps "threatening" me with surgery, warning me that I might be incontinent for the rest of my life and that surgery is the last thing I want, even if the pain I'm in is debilitating. Yes, I'm getting a new doctor, but I feel like I might need to write a letter or something while I do so, in the hopes that he won't do this to the next poor soul who comes to him with this problem.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Re: dosage error?

Postby jr2 » 06 Feb 2013, 11:34

A one-inch blob does sound like a big blob. I wouldn't be concerned about three times a day, that's actually pretty standard, but generally most doctors just say a pea sized amount. The side effects may dissipate for you as you continue using it. Keep in mind a lot of people develop a reaction to the diltiazem so watch for signs of itching, burning, and irritation. Nifedipine was a much better choice for me as it caused no skin reaction, but the diltiazem, which was ok in the beginning, eventually caused my skin to blister! I have noticed though that whether diltiazem or nifedipine, these both cause disruptions with my menstrual cycles, pelvic pain, and hormones (it's like being PMS all the time), probably a rare side effect, and probably related to my endometriosis, but there was another member who had problems with her cycles as well and had to stop using it due to heavy menstrual bleeding it caused in her. Just some more information, for what it's worth. We're generally told by doctors these topicals don't get absorbed that much into the bloodstream, but some of us have had systemic side effects that can be unexpected.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby coconut » 06 Feb 2013, 11:49

^oh, this stuff is in my blood stream, alright. That's good to know about the cycles. Mine can be temperamental. I just started my cycle last night, so I wonder if the medicine and my cycle hormones are interacting and making things more dramatic.
I have read on here that people get bad skin reactions to D. I've had a little bit of mild itching in the affected area, which worries me because I'm so sensitive to everything I've tried so far. I even had to have a prescription for a steroid cream to clear up a butt reaction to the chestnut cream stuff I tried when doctor #1 told me that this is just a hemorrhoid. (She mistook the tag for a hemmi.) It sounds like the itching is AWFUL when you really develope a sensitivity to the stuff, so I'm hoping that this won't happen to me. It really does feel like I'm on a very short road to surgery. :(
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby CrackinUp » 06 Feb 2013, 12:41

My instructions say to use an inch twice a day, which is what I'm doing. Not had a single headache! I would love to be able to use a third shot some days... my IBS made me go twice today Image
Do you think an extra dollop is safe?
CrackinUp
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby coconut » 06 Feb 2013, 13:05

^ Everyone here seems to be using a pea sized bit three times a day. I've researched quiet a bit and I haven't seen 1 inch 3/day anywhere else. I don't think that would be safe for me, but I'm already experiencing side effects with the pea sized amount. I did read one study that saw no difference, effectiveness wise, between 2 and 3 applications per day.
Call your doctor and ask! That's their job. (Assuming they know their job. Grrrr...)
I sympathize with the 2nd poop dilemma. I've had a second and third yesterday and two so far today! Its torture. My rhythms are off because I had a bad migraine with diarrhea and it threw everything off down there.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby coconut » 14 Feb 2013, 11:10

So it turns out that Dilt. is usually perscribed at .2% and I've been getting 2%, which means that I've been overdosing even without using the full inch long amount that the doctor suggested. I've been using 10 times the recommended amount. No wonder why I'm getting dizzy and pale after applying the stuff!
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby jr2 » 14 Feb 2013, 12:20

Coconut
actually, it is nitroglycein that is prescribed at .2%. The diltiazem IS correctly prescribed at 2%.
jr2

Postby coconut » 14 Feb 2013, 13:24

Really? The CRS said that it should have been .2%. Maybe he mis-spoke. That's actually reassuring.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby coconut » 14 Feb 2013, 13:25

I was hoping I could cut it with another lotion and get the benefit without the side effects. bummer.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby jr2 » 14 Feb 2013, 14:11

here's just one of many studies that shows the dosage for nitro. is .2% and for diltiazem is 2%
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20206340
jr2