Unusual location

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Unusual location

Postby Bottom Mania » 14 Feb 2013, 00:05

Hi Guys...............Well, I have been reading these posts for a few weeks now, and I guess it is time to join in......you all seem so helpful and
thoughtful with one another javascript:emoticonp(':D')- my wife can only take so much, and as you all say, unless it is happening to you - it's often just "so, you have a sore bum........soldier on". My pain probably hasn't gotten over a 4 to 5 out of 10......so I feel for anyone who reports a 9 to 10 !! My symptoms arrived 2nd Jan 2013............so I am just over 6 1/2 weeks into this HORRIBLE and annoying ailment. It is affecting me
mentally more than physically...........I know it is early days, but any advice on how to shut this out of your mind and not let it overtake your life? I
know there are worse things out there....but I have NEVER previously had ANY issues with my bum for 52 years, so it's all very raw and new to me and it is doing my head in!! I got onto a top CRS 3 weeks in............he said "you have a small, garden variety fissure, but located at 3 o'clock".
Apparently most if not all are located at 12 or 6 o'clock............so this has me thinking that maybe it is a rectal ulcer instead. But the CRS doesn't think so. Two weird things though.........I have NO bleeding whatsoever...and although I have to strain to get things going, I don't get the horrendous sharp pain that a lot of you report. I tend to have virtually no symptoms overnight and on waking of a morn, just a subtle dull presence that escalates once I start to move around. The most depressing part is that I am fit and have always jogged or gone to gym...........now it's just walking and swimming. Now, naturally I was told to try the Rectogesic Nitro cream - not sure if it is helping 2 1/2 weeks in - and now I am 2 days into a Wheatgrass Superbalm that is meant to be a miracle cure for AF - not sure if that has had an effect but it is early days. (Anyone heard of this?...............Google 'Dr. Wheatgrass'....it is an Australian product - (I'm an Aussie). I guess the crux of my posting here is that, when you Google info on AF, it is described as "a tear, or an open ulcer". Isn't there a difference here?? If so, does LIS work
on "ulcers" as well as it does on fissures?? Just putting some thoughts out there guys. Sorry for the long winded and wordy post..........but I think this support forum is a blessing for us all and good on the kind soul, whoever you are for setting this upjavascript:emoticonp('Image')
I shall try and check in every so often.......but I am trying to minimize the amount of time spent sitting on my donut cushion at the computer!!
Bottom Mania
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Unusual location

Postby owmybum » 14 Feb 2013, 03:01

Hi bottom mania, and welcome to the forum!
Lots of board members have good results with the nitro.. Just keep going with it.. It takes a lot of time to start to heal an af.... As for the dr wheatgrass.. There have been mixed reviews on that.. But hey.. Anything is worth a shot!
Are you using a stool softener at all? I would recommend the use of one, along with plenty of water, and healthy eating.
Soaking in the bath after a bm really helps to relax the anal muscles and increase blood flow.
We all suffer from the angst and depression that an af brings, so you have certainly come to the right place for support.
OMB xxx
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Bottom Mania » 14 Feb 2013, 03:07

Hey thanks OMB - very sweet of you to get back to me - yeah, doing all of that that you have suggested - I am a well researched man - have you had LIS? My Dad had it when he was 72 and went onto have no problems at all for the rest of his life (he passed away at 84). I would be nervous about it - not wanting to rush into it of course, but I tell you OMB, I won't be putting up with this for 12 months as other poor souls have!! :-) XX
Bottom Mania
Fibre Addict

Postby owmybum » 15 Feb 2013, 03:43

No... I haven't had lis ...yet!
Unfortunately I am one of those poor souls... On the nhs waiting list!!!
It's great that your dad had it, and it worked so well for him.. Gives you a bit of hope eh!
Just keep doing what your doing and hopefully things will ease up for you. These darn af's take soooo long to even start to improve.
OMB xx
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby marg6043 » 16 Feb 2013, 13:57

Bottom Mania, because your fissure is pretty new give the nitro cream time to work, it make take a few more weeks or a month or two as long as it doesn't get any worst.
LIS is good if your fissure is chronic or have been experiencing pain for a long time, but for a new or first fissure the best way to go is with time and creams, surgery should always be the last thing to do when nothing else work.
Just try to think back and see what could have caused the fissure and change things to help heal faster, perhaps changing your tissue to baby wipes, more fibre in your diet and avoid constipation or too much diarrhea, also sitz bath after a BM helps with any irritation left over from a bm, make sure to keep the area as clean as posible after a bm.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby Bottom Mania » 19 Feb 2013, 21:28

Hey thanks owmybum and marg - well, by the time I get to see my CRS in mid March for a post 6 week cream check up, I would have had the fissure for 10 weeks - IF I haven't cured it!! :-) I am combining Rectogesic and Wheatgrass Balm - the balm I have only had for a week, and it DOES seem to be slowly working!! What kills me is that last Monday, I had an almost pain and symptom free day!! I got so excited, only to be let down the very next day by subtle spasms.......you know, that fullness, golf ball feeling. But today it is just like there is a smooth pencil in there!! So descriptive I know :-) So, maybe I am getting slowly better. I feel sorry for those of us who seem to have horrendously painful spasms. I have had a couple of zingers with the burning, but mostly it is the subtle dull 24/7 tightness. Is that still considered a spasm ? ? Hope you are both going well ladies - chins up!! XX
Bottom Mania
Fibre Addict

Postby marg6043 » 20 Feb 2013, 07:40

Bottom Mania We all had experience the painful effects of a fress or chronic fissure, yes is a pain and discomfort that we will never forget even when the fissure is long gone.
Is good that you have some good days, that is the key, the good days will be mixed with bad days and we will lose hope but things can get better.
Depending of how you can cope with the pain and discomfort of a healing fissure in the long term will dictate you success for natural healing.
But if life becomes too difficult for you to deal with the fissure by all means take all the steps needed to take care of the problem.
Thanks for the chins up, after 8 months of fissure suffering I am doing quite good and in control of the fissure.
I have a follow up in June and will be by then one year that I have been diagnosed properly with this problem .
I know is still there but Is no long painful and I no longer suffer spams.
Take care of yourself and keep us posted on you progress or difficulties .
marg6043
King Fissure

Postby Bottom Mania » 22 Feb 2013, 19:57

Thanks Marg - (that is my Mum's name !) :-) Well, this last week I have had some days where for many hours I am almost symptom free - does this happen ? I had a really good day yesterday and last night....but then...........a monster BM this morning, and we have gone back a little.......ggrrr.........is this a common pattern..........2 steps forward, 1 back etc. ? It's a shame we can't leave our rectums out in the sun for a few days and give it a darn good hosing down!!! (Silly, I know) :-)
I am going to add some epsom salts into my bath from now on - se if this helps. Cheers X
Bottom Mania
Fibre Addict

Postby BenHO » 22 Feb 2013, 21:00

If there's anything i learnt from my AF experience is that we cannot afford to be complacent about what we eat! As of now, i am trying to go on a strictly non-meat diet, at least for a week. Lotsa water, vegetables and fruits...since my AF started, i've lost about 5kg and counting (and am now within the healthy BMI)...hopefully this does not cause other problems..but working in a desk environment, i guess we can afford to lose some calories, no?
BenHO
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby marg6043 » 22 Feb 2013, 21:03

Bottom Mania that is nice to know that I share my name with your mum.
Yes, is like stages of healing, if you read the forums you will see that people are here in many stages of healing, once the spams starts to get better and are less painful you know that something is happening, the irritation will still be there longer but as long as you follow the lubrication before and after BMs with sitz bath to make sure the area is clean you will start having less problems.
They key is to make sure that after a BM is not left overs of stools that can cause problem.
Things are not over by any means but better days are ahead of you, when the better days outnumber the bad ones you still can not let your guard down, we have members that had been healed for over a year to get a set back because they forget that how bad it was.
So just keep doing what makes you feel better and stick with a routine, but remember also that is going to be some bad days also just let hope they are not many.
marg6043
King Fissure