irritation after healing???

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

irritation after healing???

Postby olioli » 14 Feb 2013, 09:15

Hey Guys, just a quick question that is bugging me, but first as everyone does i'll give up a quick story.
So to be honest my heart goes out to everyone on hear because by the sound of things on here i have had an easy ride. Even though its been extremely debilitating. Around may/june in my last days of university last year, i was at this bbq with lots of meat and lots of beer :D. The next day i went to the toilet and it was painful beyond belief, when i stood up etc, looked back, there was blood everywhere, it was insane. After, a lump appeared just on the outside of my bum to which i then thought it was haemorrhoids. I didnt change my diet or anything and this lump slowly went away along with the slight pain. But then a month or so later the same thing happened again but minus the lump this time. So i changed to diet to a high fibre diet and went to the docs and he said it was a AF and gave me some nitro cream ( i think its referred to as that on here). This really helped but it was still peaks and troffs in terms of pain and blood. Went to docs again and he gave some stool softeners (laxido, to be precise). After this second visit and looks on here i realised that i was eating WAY WAY WAY too much fibre and that was adding bulk to my stools and over stretching my bum, leading to frequent but "minor" AF's.
The situation now is that i am eating healthy but trying to balance fibre intake to not have to much and taking 3/4 of a sachet of the softeners a night. In terms of pain when having a BM, there's none Image, well maybe slightly but nothing that i didn't deem "normal" before all of this kicked off.
The issue now is that during the day after a BM there is some irritation around the outside ( almost like i have used sandpaper instead of toilet paper, but maybe not as severe). THis comes and goes day to day sometimes its less irritated and other days more irritated and i cant find any correlation with it. Its not painful as such just irritated. So has anyone else had this and have you found any correlation yourself that might help.
Also I have been taking 3/4 of a sachet of the softeners for 2 months now, are there long term effects of long term use of these softeners that might make me think of stopping using them?
Cheers guys, any help would be fantastic
oli
olioli

Topics: 1

Re: irritation after healing???

Postby suzyljank » 14 Feb 2013, 09:31

Try a little organic unrefined coconut oil. It really works great and because there are no chemicals in it you can use it as often as you like. It's very soothing and is absorbed quickly. Another suggestion, try and lubricate before you have a bm, that might help too. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby olioli » 14 Feb 2013, 09:41

Thanks Suzy,
To add to the point in terms of the irritatio, the type of pain and location feel different also, so when i knew that my AF was playing it i could feel it inside, this irritation feels very much on the outside, almost unrelated. maybe the AF has caused something new.
I'll definility try coconut oil though, Thanks Suzy
olioli

Topics: 1

Postby wildwildwest » 15 Feb 2013, 02:46

suzyljank wrote:Try a little organic unrefined coconut oil. It really works great and because there are no chemicals in it you can use it as often as you like. It's very soothing and is absorbed quickly. Another suggestion, try and lubricate before you have a bm, that might help too. Suzy

Um, suzyljank, are you suggesting eating unrefined coconut oil, or applying it topically? I'm confused...
Wild
wildwildwest
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby suzyljank » 15 Feb 2013, 03:56

Hi, you can do both. I use it topically, but many on this board eat it too. Suzy
suzyljank

Postby chrstnlc » 15 Feb 2013, 10:37

How do you insert the cream? I'm not sure where the fissure is exactly. I just know it's somewhere inside.
chrstnlc

Postby suzyljank » 15 Feb 2013, 11:06

Hi, I use it on the outside and then put a little on a cotton swab and gently insert a bit. I do it after my shower and before bed.
suzyljank

Postby marg6043 » 16 Feb 2013, 22:50

olioli, that is where I am right now with my healing fissure, the irritation will happen if I do not follow certain "toilet procedures" keeping the are clean with sitz bath after a BM, making sure that you have lubricated the area so the stools do no leave anything behind to irritate the skin, this is very important.
Like suzyljank said with the cotton I used a Q tip dip in vaseline after every BM and gently wipe anything that is left behind, then insert a carlson vitamin E suppository and that keeps the area from minimal irritation.
Now as for toilet paper discard them used baby wipes unescented and never, never wipe hard, always be gentle with the area like its the most delicate skin in your body and trust me the irritation will get better and even will go away. But remember this is a long term change you have to do when you are a fissure sufferer.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby wildwildwest » 17 Feb 2013, 00:06

Long term is apparently right, marg6043, my AF returned after abandoning my high fiber (with supplements) diet. Oh, what a relief it could have been... (damn you, Benefiber, for stopping manufacturing your product).
Costco (in the US) has an identical product to Benefiber, but the containers are so big they won't fit into my cabinets. (I know, it's not an excuse, but it's the only one I have)
wildwildwest
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby marg6043 » 17 Feb 2013, 07:50

wildwildwest, you are right, once you have a fissure life is not the same again, things have to change our everyday routines have to accommodate for the fissure problems, even with surgery to fix the fissure and getting better you always have to be careful.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8