New issue after lis!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

New issue after lis!

Postby Deleted User 1775 » 14 Feb 2013, 13:47

Hello everyone! I am having irritation, burning and inflamed feeling inside my anus still thinking it was my fissure. I had lis surgery done a little over 4 months. My butt has never been 100% normal even after the surgery. Well yesterday I went to a new CRS which let me tell you surgeons are not the friendliest people. She took a look and said she does not see any fissures, piles or even my incision site. That is great news, but she said that I have redness and irritation in there. I do have some mild leakage after I go to the bathroom. After I go I usually take a shower and then use a blow dryer to dry off that area. But thru out the day I have to re wipe especially after I walk. I hope this will go away some day. Anyone out there have any off these issues please let me know. I don't want to go to another doctor but I might have to. It bothers me so bad that it feels like I have a fissure still. She also said my anal pressure is low but didn't say anything else. The questions I had she said that I have to see a gastro that is not her speciality. This whole fissure thing has cost me so much in money I don't know if I can afford to keep going to try and figure what is going on. Any info would help.
Thanks!
Jd
Deleted User 1775

Re: New issue after lis!

Postby jr2 » 14 Feb 2013, 14:31

jdchurch
I'm so sorry you're still having irritation and problems after your surgery, and even more trouble getting in to see a communicative, more helpful doctor. Though I haven't had surgery I've known many people on various boards who have had it and what you are describing isn't at all unusual. Actually, it isn't that unusual for any type of surgery. The lingering irritation could be due to a variety of different things. Do you notice an increase in irritation based on foods you eat? You might try cutting out acidic foods such as citrus, tomatoes, tomato sauces, coffee, etc., as well as anything spicy including onions and garlic. It also couldn't hurt to try a short course of hydrocortisone just to see if you get some improvement in the redness and irritation. A week or two won't be long enough to cause any skin thinning or degradation. Also, there is a possibility there might be a yeast issue in the area, and you could ask your doctor about trying a nystatin cream if all else fails.
You mention re-wiping after you walk. What are you using to wipe? Sometimes this wiping can cause very minor skin tears that are not anal fissures, but more like tiny abrasions from the wiping, and you set up a vicious cycle where you wipe because you're irritated but the wiping in the long run causes more irritation, and then little yeast colonies get into these tiny abrasions and cause irritation.
These things can get really difficult to pinpoint, even for a doctor, so usually you have to become your own detective, but honestly, some people who have had LIS have these irritations for many months after surgery, so you're not alone.
I hope you feel relief soon!
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Deleted User 1775 » 14 Feb 2013, 19:32

Thanks jr2! I still do a fissure diet, soft foods and lots of vegetables and fruit. I only drink water. I do not eat anything you mention. I am going to have to find a gastro that can prescribe me hydrocortisone. I just get worried that I feel that inflamed burning area and worry its a fissure. Maybe your right with the toilet paper but I try to be careful and just dab. I bought some bag balm and I am going to try that. I just hope it goes away soon. Thanks again for some feedback. I hope you are pain free from a fissure.
Deleted User 1775

Postby aimonaali » 15 Feb 2013, 10:29

I have the same problem with the leakage three months after LIS. Execpt I only feel burning on my incision site and it's quite mild. It's still annoying as hell having to wipe multiple times after BM. Jr2, do you remember members in here saying that the problem went away eventually?
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Postby sadies-day » 20 Feb 2013, 18:02

I can relate as well. Had LIS about 8 months ago. Still have irritation following any BM that causes me to wipe several times (the best BMs are the ones that leave no mess since then there's no irritation). Not sure what the irritation results from as I never had any before the fissure issue. For whatever reason, the skin is more sensitive down there now. Maybe because it's too thin after using too many topical creams before the LIS.
Anyhow, things that have helped me are significantly increasing my fiber intake (Metamucil 2-3 times/day), drinking lots of water, avoiding popcorn (I want to try that lady finger kind that's supposed to be almost hull-less), and cutting way back on coffee (at least during the work week). The later seemed to result in very sticky BMs that were difficult to clean up afterwards. Also, before I go I apply some lubricant that makes the first wipe significantly easier. Other products that have helped are Balneol cream (if additional cleaning is necessary), coconut oil for minor irritation, and Calmoseptine for any significant irritation. I still hope someday to get back to my pre-LIS days but after 8 months, I'm starting to think this is my new norm.
sadies-day
Salt Bather

Topics: 13