Painless BM but still get spasms

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Painless BM but still get spasms

Postby CrackinUp » 17 Feb 2013, 08:53

I have no pain during a BM, all I feel is a slight itching afterwards but still get spasms (mostly mild) starting almost exactly 3 hours after applying GTN.
I think I've managed to work out GTN lasts roughly 3 hours, because if I apply more after this I get continued relief.
On days where I've had bad spasms I've always strayed from my strict fish and veg diet slightly, so I'm suspicious it's the effect of what I've eaten irritating the skin. It's happened too many times now for this not to be the case.
I had a glass of red last night and am deeply regretting it today. Its been my most painful day in over a week.
Does anyone else find having a coffee or a glass of wine has no effect on BM but increases the intensity of spasms the next day?
CrackinUp
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Re: Painless BM but still get spasms

Postby marg6043 » 17 Feb 2013, 13:52

I am no sure about the coffee been a coffee drinker all my life with no let go, the only complain is that it will give me diarrhea once in while and that is what has caused my fissure.
But the diarrhea is just something I have to live with due to IBS.
Now as for the spams is ways to ease them and that is with pelvic exercises, I don't have spams anymore but I know how painful and troublesome they can be to the point that it will go on and on for days.
The nitro is great for that, one way to ease the spams is letting go when they start, kind of rather than tighten the anal muscle as that is what the anal muscle wants to do naturally, just let go like you are pushing but gently and evertime the anal muscle wants to tighten just keep pushing gently to open up.
That is something I learn to do when one night the pain was so bad I had to get out of bed and lie on the sofa suffering with the pain and right there I did that and about half an hour later the pain eased and I was able to go back to bed, after that every time I had the spams i did the same until it just stopped, is a natural thing to just sit and let go of the anal muscle.
Now if your anal muscle is so tight that this will not help then you need to talk to your doctor about how to ease this spams.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby CrackinUp » 18 Feb 2013, 06:21

I've worked out GTN lasts 3 hours as the pain always comes on exactly 3 hours after using the ointment. If I apply a bit more the pain subsides again, so it's definitely a sphincter spasm.
Today I'm not doing my usual of applying GTN after a BM - instead I'm waiting until 10am. My pain is always worst between 11am and 1pm, with a normal application of GTN made between 8am and 9am. If I'm right, the GTN should take me right through until 1pm and should hopefully mean a completely spasm free day for me.

I can quite happily say I haven't had a single spasm today with the above approach! It's now 12:30pm.
CrackinUp
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby marg6043 » 18 Feb 2013, 07:49

CrackinUp, I am happy that you found something to work with, we all find a way to cope and trial and error is part of the coping mechanism, it takes time and I know that with pain is hard to think that we can find a way to cope.
But see you found a way I hope it keep working for you.
marg6043
King Fissure

Postby GGky1959 » 18 Feb 2013, 16:30

That's what I'm getting....I don't mind the pain or the painless bm's, its the after effect that is the torture. Thus far, I'm having good bm's, creamy tan and smooth.....but afterwards for the next 5-6 hours....nothing but pain pain pain pain and more pain.
GGky1959
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 25

Postby delasama » 18 Feb 2013, 16:59

I feel your pain. My bm is also somewhat painless since I've been on the miralax, but Spasms after bm feel like a charley horse on and off...
delasama
King Fissure

Topics: 31

Postby GGky1959 » 18 Feb 2013, 17:16

delasama wrote:I feel your pain. My bm is also somewhat painless since I've been on the miralax, but Spasms after bm feel like a charley horse on and off...

A charly horse I can deal with, but this razor sharp pain I'm getting is just unbearable. I've taken 4 200mg of Aleve thus far and still the sharp pain is there. It feels like a knife jabbing me in the butt and getting up and moving makes it worse. I just drank a glass of prune juice and so far all I've eatin was a bowl of navy beans. I plan on having another bm before I go to bed, just to medicate myself to sleep since I haven't been able to rest since yesterday. I would give my right arm to go back to work next week normal....just for a full day.
GGky1959
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 25

Postby CrackinUp » 19 Feb 2013, 04:17

@GGky1959 I get that type of pain, it's so painful and there is no escaping it.
In fact it's just decided to have a major go @ me 10am this morning (very painful). Of course following my new routine I had saved my GTN application... I have applied it and 5 minutes later I have total relief.
This will take me right through until around 1pm now, at which point I shouldn't really have any more spasms. I can have some lunch before it wears off and hop in the bath after it does if there is a minor annoyance.
It's such a shame your doctor won't let you try it.
CrackinUp
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby CrackinUp » 19 Feb 2013, 07:06

After 1pm now, and no spasms since applying the GTN. My fissures days are outnumbered... prepare to die fissure!! Or heal at least Image
CrackinUp
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby marg6043 » 19 Feb 2013, 07:19

CrackinUp, good for you, don't let the fissure control you, but rather you are the master of your fissure. :D
Now remember that fissures are unpredictable, so if you have a mild set back go back and do what made you feel better before, that is how you start to get better and better until it just feels good, you know is there but, you control it.
That is the stage I am right now and been for 2 months and counting, but ready for a set back it if comes my way.
marg6043
King Fissure