how soon does fissure heal after LIS?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: how soon does fissure heal after LIS?

Postby Davo » 04 Mar 2013, 23:46

thisfissurecankissmybutt wrote:It took me 4 months to fully heal.

Didn't you have other issues though as well as the fissure?
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby aimonaali » 05 Mar 2013, 06:59

I haven't really had any pain in the fissure site after LIS but the incision site does burn sometimes. The fissure was fully healed according to the doctor about two months after the surgery. He said he couln'd see anything there anymore. But last week there was a little irritation when he examined me again.
Is it possible that for some reason the fissure site is now weaker than it was a month ago? Even though it should be more healed. I'm just wondering why it is that It has now opened a little bit even though it's been pain free since the operation.
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Postby Davo » 05 Mar 2013, 07:51

aimonaali wrote:Is it possible that for some reason the fissure site is now weaker than it was a month ago? Even though it should be more healed. I'm just wondering why it is that It has now opened a little bit even though it's been pain free since the operation.

Thats is an interesting point
The sphincter itself gradually heals to about 80% of it's original strength over the course of a year but the process is slow - i can't see any reason why it should weaken following surgery.
However I had similar thoughts to you following my surgery only to discover that it was actually a reduction in swelling. Basically immediately following LIS surgery the area is very swollen and this swelling acts as a kind of barrier and protects the area from irratation and also acts shall we say as a bit of plug :-) I personally found that i felt weaker once this swelling had reduced - also the area was more vunerable to irratation as it no longer had that protective swollen barrier.
After a few weeks things should settle again but should you have any concerns then i would go and see your GP/surgeon again
Davo
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby becsbum » 14 Mar 2013, 18:02

I had my follow up appt yesterday. The doc said everything looks healthy and healed - no more fissure. Unfortunately I am still having lots of trouble with a raw sort of pain especially when I sit. Her theory now is that there may be a nerve misfiring and she referred me to a physical therapist. We are not sure if the fissure caused this problem or if they happened concurrently, but at least it can't hurt that the fissure is healed! Maybe (fingers and toes crossed) that will allow the nerves to calm down so I can sit again. I read about pudendal neuralgia which has me a bit worried but trying to stay relaxed and give it a chance to heal.
becsbum
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby FissureHome » 29 Dec 2013, 09:55

becsbum how are you feeling now and what happen as far as sitting down? My fissure pain is moslty when sitting down rather than BM's..wondering if LIS with help me..?? Davo??
FissureHome
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 16