how soon does fissure heal after LIS?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

how soon does fissure heal after LIS?

Postby becsbum » 22 Feb 2013, 22:12

I posted an intro in the newbies section, but thought I should add my surgery recovery question to this section here. I won't bother you with too much background info...
I had LIS surgery 16 days ago. No fissurectomy or skin tag removal or anything else. My biggest complaint before surgery had been discomfort/pain with sitting. BMs were not nearly so bad as other people described (I know I am lucky about that!) and my doctor said I was an unusual case. She also did say that since I was not typical, she wasn't quite as certain about my prospect of healing after LIS (though she still put it at over 95% chance).
After less than a week I was feeling much better as far as healing from the surgery. Still I stayed off my bum and just lay down or stood or walked. However at around day 12 I had to spend more time sitting than previously (about 4 hours). After that I was feeling every bit as sore as before surgery. Worse, in fact, since now it was not just the fissure site but also the incision area that were bugging me. I'm now freaked out that the surgery has done nothing to heal me (yet). Is it too soon to know? I'm hoping that it is not unexpected for me to still be trying to heal. It just seems like even if it is just starting to heal, I might have felt some improvement, so I am disheartened.
If anyone has any words of wisdom, thanks in advance!
becsbum
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Re: how soon does fissure heal after LIS?

Postby tojo78 » 23 Feb 2013, 20:23

I saw a study where it said the median fissure heal time after LIS is 3 weeks. I'd say the range is about 2 to 6 weeks. Recovery will have some positive milestones in the short run but total recovery will take some time. Keep your head up as you should be entering a period of seeing some positive results!
tojo78
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby becsbum » 23 Feb 2013, 21:16

Thanks Tojo! I am about 2.5 weeks out so hopefully the next few weeks will see some good improvement. I am lucky that my pain is not severe - it's just so annoying to be unable to sit down comfortably! I see my crs at 5 weeks so I should get some more feedback at that point.
becsbum
Salt Bather

Postby SteveR » 25 Feb 2013, 01:28

It's very interesting reading these. I had my LIS on Thursday 21st Feb. I am totally surprised at the lack of pain, although I'm taking things really really slow. I had stitches at the site of the LIS but wasn't told if these dissolve or need to be taken out. What have you been told.
Anyway this is only day 4 and I'm just focusing ahead on week 6 - I so so hope that my two fissures, that I've had since March last year, heal.
Good luck.
SteveR
Salt Bather

Topics: 14

Postby becsbum » 25 Feb 2013, 08:35

Hi Steve, sounds like you are doing great so far! I didn't have any stitches (I had closed LIS) so can't speak to that. Just keep taking it easy. I think I overdid it on day 12 and that has set me back some.
becsbum
Salt Bather

Postby aimonaali » 04 Mar 2013, 08:06

I had a small tear three months after LIS when I went back to my doctor and he was too rough with the examination:/ I feel very worried that the whole fissure is going to open up again. Is it normal for the fissure to retear months after LIS? If it's supposed to be "healed" in three weeks?
I hope someone can help, this thing is really getting me down.
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Postby becsbum » 04 Mar 2013, 16:35

I think you are still more prone to tearing even months after, according to some posters. I am so sorry you tore from the exam though- that just stinks!
I think I am still not healed (almost 4 weeks out) but hoping things are slowly progressing.
becsbum
Salt Bather

Postby LISrecipient » 04 Mar 2013, 22:00

I had open lis three weeks ago and it is definatetly not healed yet. Doctor said she put in three stitches which dissolve in two weeks.
It is gradually improving but not close to healed I think I am a few weeks away from that as it is now
LISrecipient
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Davo » 04 Mar 2013, 23:41

Hi,
It all depends upon the severity of your fissure and how careful you are during the early days post surgery.
My fissure managed to heal in two weeks whereas the NHS (UK National Health Service) quote an average of 2-4 weeks.
Don't worry if you have not healed in 4 weeks though - as long as you are seeing a gradual improvement there should be no cause for alarm
Davo
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 04 Mar 2013, 23:44

It took me 4 months to fully heal (I had LIS and a fistula repair); however, I didn't have much post-op fissure or fistula pain during those 4 months.
Last edited by thisfissurecankissmybutt on 04 Mar 2013, 23:49, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Updated to address DAVO's question
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8