Botox and colonoscopy this week.

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Botox and colonoscopy this week.

Postby PIA » 03 Mar 2013, 00:00

Well here I am 10 weeks on from when I believe I tore a new fissure. I now know I have had a fissure about 5 years ago by the sentinel tag it left. It seems I managed to overcome that without any knowledge.
Anyway at the moment I am virtually pain free. It has been a confronting few weeks as those who have followed on this site would know. The sphincter is still very tight and I believe it will continue to inhibit further healing. So I have taken my CRS's advise and will have a colonoscopy and Botox injections into the sphincter. This will happen this Tuesday. I am looking forward to it.
Without this site I hate to think where I would be. My fissure friends have helped me with more advise and help than any doctors. In fact my GP had no idea what was wrong so referred my to the CRS. I self diagnosed by googling my symptoms.
I have stabilised quiet a lot now. I only use the GTn ointment every few days and might use Ibrufren for discomfort a couple of times a week.
I have porridge and prune juice for breakfast as well as one tablespoon of Metamucil and one sachet of Movicol. I have a warm bath after every BM and if the spasms recur. I still drink lots of water but I am now able to eat what I like for lunch and dinner but I tend to avoid red meats and add lots of fruit and veges. If I travel I add more Movicol. If I think my BM is going to be firm I insert frozen fingers of coconut oil before BM. I have not had any bleeding for a long while. I am riding my horses again and have not had any setbacks for a few weeks. There was a few times over the past few weeks where I thought this affliction may ruin my life as I know it.
I start a bowel prep for the colonoscopy tomorrow which is my greatest concern at the moment. I plan to keep up a regular application of Vaseline to protect my precious healing area.
I just want to reassure those who are struggling with the pain of their fissures and spasm that you can find a way through and it can get better.
It seems that when you can find the cause of your fissure you can better find the treatments that will help you heal. Fingers crossed for the expected intestinal emptying tomorrow and Colonoscopy/Botox under anaesthesia the next day. Xx PIA
PIA
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Re: Botox and colonoscopy this week.

Postby Rachael 1984 » 03 Mar 2013, 05:29

Good luck PIA. I have Botox in 4 weeks. I just want to heal from this. It is so awful, taking over my life. I feel sick every day I wake up. I have 2 AF'S 1 chronic and 1 acute. So much pain! I had it under control on the Nitro creme, but as soon as I stopped after 8 wks, they reopened.
I have some Dialtizem until I see CRS for Botox.
Let us know how you get on. Xx
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby PIA » 05 Mar 2013, 05:07

Well back home after eventful day. The prep was ok. No food for 36hrs just fluids then nothing for 10 hrs before admission. I had three doses of prep over 6 hours. Hardly necessary as I was passing clear fluid after the first sachet. Two hour drive to the hospital.
Woke from anaesthetic to find a worried anaesthetist hovering over me. Colonoscopy was aborted half way through. Apparently I vomited when they repositioned me to advance the probe. This led to me aspirating some vomit, coughing uncontrollably, my oxygen saturation levels dropping and an irregular heartbeat. So he hurried through the botox while I was waking up. So I had a chest xray to make sure I hadn't aspirated into my lungs and was kept on close observation and oxygen for the day. Everybody was fabulous. Felt fine except for the raspy throat from coughing. The CRS has said that the fissure is quite deep and doesn't feel it has heeled much. He is pessimistic about the chance of healing with the botox. I requested and was given a script some analgesia stronger the ibrufren. Tramadol.
So how does it feel. Actually pretty damn good. I haven't needed any pain relief and didn't have any during op. The prep yesterday left me pretty sore and sphincter clamped shut. Using the Vaseline for protection was vital I think. There was some bleeding just after procedure but nothing since.
So how does it look. Not bad...there is some bruising around about a third of the anus that look like injection sites. The rest is the same.
So what next. Get my bowel function back on keel. My gut is completely empty so I don't expect a formed bm for a couple of days.so lots of water. Soft foods. Movicol and prune juice. Oh and coconut oil. I have made some tiny coconut oil suppositries out of disposable glove fingers. I freeze them then cut the end and insert them. They slowly melt and soften the start of a bm.
I believe I can heal if I can get my sphincter to stop spasming. The botox is a tool to this end.combined with all the other ingredients that I have learnt from this site I am optimistic. Fingers crossed.
I was once again amazed at the lack of information I was given.
I plan to write a letter to my CRS to express this. If I did not have this forum and my medical background I would be completely in the dark
Sorry for the ramble. Xx PIA.
PIA
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby PIA » 05 Mar 2013, 18:54

Morning after the Botox day before. Wonderful nights sleep. Everything feels fine downstairs. Just a little tenderness on left side where it is bruised.
The sad thing is the bowel prep has left me with a soft empty mushy abdomen. I am so disappointed. I thought the hard things I could feel in my belly was my trim, taut abdominal muscles. Turns out they were just lots of hard turds lying in my intestines.
The good thing is that things come to those who wait. Like 25 years . My husband put the rubbish out last night. Image Image
PIA
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby marg6043 » 05 Mar 2013, 20:41

Pia I am so sorry I missed your post, sorry about the procedure problems.
I hope thing will get better with the botox, but if they don't you know now that your fissure is very chronic and the only thing to get it fix next is surgery.
Im glad you doing better today, take care of yourself hopefully something good will come out of the botox.
By all means complain about whatever bothers you, is your right.
take care. Image
Last edited by marg6043 on 06 Mar 2013, 09:35, edited 1 time in total.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby PIA » 06 Mar 2013, 08:45

Thank you Marg hope things are still improving for you. Xx
PIA
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby marg6043 » 06 Mar 2013, 09:38

I am doing better after my mild retear, back to the routine and things settle down again.
My fissure is no gone by any means just more manageable, rest assure that in my next app. if I don't get better than I am now I will ask the doctor to go in and see if I am healing or not.
And if things are not better I will get the LIS.
One year with a fissure in my mind means that I am not going to heal at all, by natural means.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby owmybum » 06 Mar 2013, 10:45

Wow Pia... What an ordeal for you to go through!
I hope everything is settling down for you and that Botox proves to be the answer to your prayers!
Keep us posted!
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby jr2 » 06 Mar 2013, 12:52

Pia,
I am so glad you are okay after the ordeal you went through. How scary! I too hope the Botox works for you, especially after all you've gone through to get it!
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby PIA » 06 Mar 2013, 19:58

Thank you. Two days post botox. First BM this morning. Very soft but pain free. 2hrs later still pain free. Still feel completely flat after procedure. Just want to sleep. Have strange whooshing sound in my ears when I do too much. But at least my bum feels good. Image
PIA
Proctosphincteranalogist