anal fissure cause swelling anus?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

anal fissure cause swelling anus?

Postby orangejooce » 09 Mar 2013, 02:15

Hello all,
I'm pretty new to the forum, but this is some great stuff. I am currently trying to heal my anal fissure(s) (think I have two) and grade I hemorrhoids. For the past week I have been using Miralax a quarter dose everyday since this past monday and it has been working wonders by keeping my stools soft making the BMs bearable and progressively easier. Initially I noticed that my anus was really tight as if the sphincter was small due to the continual irritation of the hard stools. However ever since I started using Miralax and having soft stools, my anus does not seem to be as tight anymore. Although when I was taking a shower today, I noticed that my anus felt pretty swollen. So my question is if any of you ladies/gents have had or currently have a swollen anus due to anal fissures. If so, how long did it take for the swelling to go down? I might add that I think the fissure(s) are beginning to heal because I haven't had any blood in my stools since monday. I do still have a little discomfort sitting from time to time and some itchiness here and there after a bowel movement. I'm hoping that these are normal. Anyone have these symptoms?
Thanks!
orangejooce
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: anal fissure cause swelling anus?

Postby PIA » 09 Mar 2013, 02:36

Hi, Welcome. I guess your swelling could be any number of things. Maybe your sphincter has relaxed a little and allowed more blood flow to the area and filled your haemorrhoids a little more hence more swelling. You could have an infection or abscess.. it would feel hot and sore to touch and you may feel some tenderness in your groin form the lymph nodes. This is unlikely as you are not feeling more discomfort.You may be developing a sentinal tag from the fissures which the fissure forms to help protect itself. Best have a look with a mirror. xx Pia
PIA
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby orangejooce » 09 Mar 2013, 03:20

Hm the anus swelling isn't sore per se, it moreso feels soft/tender, definitely not tense like it was a few days ago. Hopefully it is a healing phase and isn't anything that could be a sign of another condition. I have been doing hot sitz baths after each bowel movement however, could that have caused it? Thank you for your input.
orangejooce
Fibre Addict

Postby PIA » 09 Mar 2013, 03:25

Sounds like not too much to worry about. Keep up the baths if you can..they are great for hygiene, pain relief and promote healing blood flow to the area. I guess just make sure it is hot but not too hot that it would burn you.xxPia
PIA
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby coconut » 09 Mar 2013, 09:33

That actually sounds pretty normal in AF land.
Keep babying your bottom. Balmex helps protect the area if the swollen feeling is on the outside. And using moisened wipes could also help.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby orangejooce » 09 Mar 2013, 14:43

Thanks guys, would any of you or anyone know how long it would take for the swelling to go down?
orangejooce
Fibre Addict

Postby coconut » 09 Mar 2013, 15:18

orangejooce wrote:Thanks guys, would any of you or anyone know how long it would take for the swelling to go down?

If you sooth the swelling and nothing else is in the way, it should go down in a day, in my experience.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby orangejooce » 09 Mar 2013, 15:24

Oh really? Hm my swelling is still although it seems like it is slightly less swollen. I guess i'll have to just wait it out keeping the stools soft and continually using the sitz baths. Thanks!
orangejooce
Fibre Addict

Postby coconut » 09 Mar 2013, 18:33

orangejooce wrote:Oh really? Hm my swelling is still although it seems like it is slightly less swollen. I guess i'll have to just wait it out keeping the stools soft and continually using the sitz baths. Thanks!

That's how it worked on me. I'd do something to inflame my butt, and if I stopped doing that thing, it would go back to normal after a day or two. But the fissure pain remained the whole time. I'm just talking about swelling of the skin on the outside.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby orangejooce » 09 Mar 2013, 19:03

ah gotcha, yea I hear that fissures take quite some time to heal. generally 4-6 weeks? hopefully i'm just on the road to having this condition healed, but as far as the swelling goes, hopefully that goes away soon.
orangejooce
Fibre Addict