I'm New!!! How I beat My AFs Diet diet, dare I say....

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

I'm New!!! How I beat My AFs Diet diet, dare I say....

Postby met6lqae » 19 Mar 2013, 11:14

How I Cured my Fissures.
Hello everyone. I thought I would spread the good news on my secret of curing my recurring fissures-(knock on wood). I have been to many sites like this heard all of the testimonials, triumphs, sorrows, fixes, heartaches, setbacks, you name it.
For me as I’m sure for most of us a big part is the diet. I always thought it has to be something I’m eating. And I most assuredly have finally found the culprit………”Bread”.
That’s right, bread was the number one thing that was causing me fissures that would come and go on a monthly bases for the last 25 years or so-(im 47). It was on another forum months ago that I heard that bread consumption should be reduced, but I thought, wow I love my bread, I don’t think this Is my problem.
Back then I was sure my fissures were from too much salt, not knowing that bread indeed has quite a bit of salt in it. I clearly saw In my diet, that when I took in a lot of salt-sodium of the processed foods that is when my stool turned into rocks-sort f speak.
Then I started to look at the sodium content of those refrigerated sub sandwiches that I love, but that makes my but feel like I’m giving birth, and I was surprised at how much sodium are in these sandwiches. Back then I was regularly eating three to four slices of bread per day not even realizing most breads have a high sodium count.
So to make a long story short, it was ultimately those subway sandwiches that turned the light switch on for me. I clearly saw that my stools were particularly hard a day or so after I have eaten one of those sandwiches. So I thought I would take a visit to my local grocery to check and see the sodium count of my favorite sliced bread.
After crunching the numbers and multiplying by the number of slices I eat per day or per week, I said wow, that’s too much sodium. So you guessed it. For the next several days and weeks, I swore off of all bread.
Bingo.. eureka..epiphany… BM after BM my stools were coming out fine. And this was around the holidays where you knew you would have plenty of BM’s. I’d get nervous when I really feel a push to unload thinking, oh this time my fissures will definitely come back. But no!!!! even a crap load around the holidays didn't produce my monthly recurring fissures.
God as my witness, for the previous 25 years or so I don’t think 2 or three months went by where I did not feel a little discomfort down there, where I knew if I did not break out the tucks or other ointments and creams that my little bitty fissure would turn into the “passing the shredded glass feeling” that we all dread.
But now that I've cut back on the bread(I now eat only a few slices a week vs a dozen or more), I have had absolutely no fissures whatsoever. Before, it was in the shower that I would actually probe with my fingers and press hard all around my anus for any signs of lingering fissures and discomfort. And during my battles there were only a few times that the anal area would seem completely healed and smooth. I’d go up my anus as far as I could with my fingers, and it seems I always find some old scar or lingering discomfort.
Not any more people. I still have my almost daily finger exams and I must say what a good feeling to be able to feel a nice smooth anal canal. I have been fissure free now for well over a year. Just recently I was wondering whether it was a salt-sodium thing at all or just the bread. So sure enough I started eating what I knew was too much sodium in my diet. This time I left out the bread.
At first BM after BM was ok. Then one day in the showers doing my exams, sure enough a little discomfort was felt---i.e, the tell tell signs of a birth of a fissure. So I immediately corrected my diet and backed off the sodium and I gleefully averted anymore fissures.
So guys, that’s my story. Perhaps in most of us there is a food or two that we must stay away from. It took me years to discover what mine was (Bread and sodium). Please my advise to everyone is to try and find that food. Do not stop trying. perhaps All the creams and potions are just Band-Aids. Perhaps for many of us we can avoid a drastic surgery.
And don’t get me wrong. Plenty of water and fiber and exercise are very important too. These things are like the natural remedies to replace the expensive creams and potions. I easily saw how plenty of water in the diet gives my stool the push where I did not need to “give birth” to my BM as much. And we all know what straining at the stool leads too……..
Thanks for your time……
Last edited by met6lqae on 19 Mar 2013, 11:52, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: caught more typos
met6lqae
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: I'm New!!! How I beat My AFs Diet diet, dare I say....

Postby JHH » 19 Mar 2013, 11:52

I envy your avatar.
- Fissure developed in Jan '13
- Started rectogesic in Feb '13 and diltiazem Apr '13.
- Got botox Jun '13
- Healed by Okt '13, although I still had some irritation for about a year.
- New fissure April '22, healed June 2022
- New fissure 24. December 2023
JHH

Topics: 16

Postby met6lqae » 19 Mar 2013, 12:20

Thanks JHH. I had many a days of doing just what your avatar is doing. Good luck to you.
met6lqae
Fibre Addict

Postby delasama » 19 Mar 2013, 14:54

Met6lqae- I already have soft poop from miralax.
Been on Miralax for over a month and fissure feels better. No pain during bm now. Hurts to sit a lot, but even then pain is only about a 3. I know some of our fissures are worse than others, but how long did it take for you to heal after you got your poop soft? My crs said I could take 2 or 4 months if it even heals.
delasama
King Fissure

Topics: 31

Postby met6lqae » 19 Mar 2013, 15:44

Yeah, it depends on how bad and how far up the canal. It seems the further up the canal the longer it takes to heal. for me most of my fissures were right at the opening or just a little way into the canal. I usually could always see and feel them with the finger. So after my poop stayed soft it was a little over a week before the finger exam returned no discomfort.
And as I think back now, you say it hurts when you sit but not when you poop. It seems with me that the ones that were worse and more up the canal were those when I experienced your symptoms of discomfort while sitting but not when pooping.
Yeah my worse ones took a while to heal completely because I would always slip up and not eat the way I should have, only to re-open the healing wound. And that process can definitely cover 2-4 months. Yeah, that's probably the most frustrating aspect of AF.
Perhaps the pain ratio is the ratio on the healing process up in there. Probably takes a bit longer because of the lack of the oxygen that the other fissures get closer to the opening.
Keep up the fight. Meanwhile try to find that culprit.
Before every bowel movement to keep the fissure less likely to reopen I used to lubricate it with plenty of petroleum jelly, which really seemed to help. And even then, it was right to the showers to clean out any residual bm for optimal healing. I even walked around with medicated pads (tucks-witch hazel) wedged in my but, and also while I slept, which also seemed to speed up healing.
My mom and my dad both had hemorrhoids so I new I was in for a fight. It attacked you, now you have to attack it back.
Good luck to you delasama
met6lqae
Fibre Addict

Postby marg6043 » 21 Mar 2013, 06:43

met6lqae I am so happy that you found a way to get your fissure problem under control.
Are you now off anything with gluten? gluten can cause so many problem on people with sensitivities to it.
Last edited by marg6043 on 21 Mar 2013, 14:08, edited 1 time in total.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby met6lqae » 21 Mar 2013, 09:20

Nope, no problem eating gluten. The only thing I really cut back on eating is foods with high sodium and too much bread of any type. If the serving has way over 300 grams of sodium on the package, I wont buy it.
Those sub sandwiches that I use to eat had upwards of close to 1000 grams. I was even eating whole wheat bread for the longest and noticed fissures and very hard stools from that diet.
Again it was only when I really cut back on the bread that I noticed my fissures clearing up, and stools not as hard.
It took me about 15 years and 500 fissures later to figure this out ( if my figuring is right), but indeed it looks like I really did beat this thing.
You can to............Good Luck
met6lqae
Fibre Addict

Postby buttquestion » 21 Mar 2013, 11:29

I finally start drinking Metamucil twice (once in the morning and once at night) and I've noticed that my poop is much easier to pass. No, it's not too soft but soft enough to pass without pain. I don't have much pain to begin with but I am sooooooo scared to tear it up again.
Anyway, during my recent battle, I notice that by cutting out TWO THINGS, my fissure is completely manageable (still not 100% as I am a gay bottom and I want anal sex).
I completely get rid of Caffeine (I drank a lot of coffee, Large Caramel Ice Latte from Dunkin almost daily) and Spicy food (which I love).
You don't know how hard it is for me to take these two things out of my diet... but for the sake of my Ass, I am determined to beat this. I love anal sex more than food so I am sticking to it for the rest of my life and I am only 33 years old...
buttquestion
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby met6lqae » 21 Mar 2013, 12:55

Well, putting anything in your butt that is going through AF may be asking for it.
Trust us if it gets too bad even anal sex will be the last thing on your mind.
your 33, but think 43 with years of tearing and weakening, not a pretty picture.
Its good to hear you found some culprits. Give this time though as you want to be sure you really found something.
In my battle there were times I thought I had it beat only to be disappointing
Good luck.
Last edited by met6lqae on 21 Mar 2013, 12:56, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo
met6lqae
Fibre Addict

Postby marg6043 » 21 Mar 2013, 14:12

met6lqae, thanks for the tip, my fissure is 9 months old and due to chronic diarrhea, I never had the constipation problems, thankfully I have my fissure under control and still under doctors care as I have decided to see if it heals on its own before contemplating surgery, is been a slow recovery but doing better.
I am also on a high protein diet so carbs are just minimal, this is because I am a health nuts. :D
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8