Laxatives Spread Out, or All at Once Daily?

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Laxatives Spread Out, or All at Once Daily?

Postby Anonymon » 08 Apr 2013, 19:59

I use Milk of Magnesia, and I know many here swear by Miralax. I've read of both that you can take them in minor doses throughout the day, or daily in larger doses.
Before bed, I take a super dose of Milk of Magnesia, and though it has been all that has made my poops permissible to my fissure in completely liquefying them, sleeping can get tricky as all that's going through me for a morning BM. I'm afraid to spread it out, however, as the full dose is all that has worked well enough for me without a retear.
Does anyone have any experience with osmotic laxatives like either of the two mentioned, mainly in the effects of a full dose vs 2 lesser doses throughout the day? I'm concerned with stool softness over regularity. I'm already a little too regular at the moment.
Anonymon
Salt Bather

Topics: 26

Re: Laxatives Spread Out, or All at Once Daily?

Postby Peppermint Patty » 09 Apr 2013, 13:27

Hi, Anonymon! I'm afraid I don't know which is better, one dose or two halves, but I guess it's whichever works best for you. Everyone is different. When I went to my GI with a thrombosed hemorrhoid he told me to take 2 docusate sodium pills (I use Phillips stool softeners, but Colace is the same) to soften things up. They didn't work terribly well and after the thrombosis cleared up I had developed a fissure! Image I went to a CRS (at my GI doctor's recommendation), and he told me to keep using the docusate, but add Miralax once a day. I must admit, I haven't had a hard bm problem since (a little over a month now).
I also tried taking the Miralax at bedtime, but it bothered my stomach (woke up nauseous!), so I take it earlier in the evening now. And as for the docusate sodium, I take one in the morning and one before bed. I've been having soft regular morning bms ever since - thank goodness!!!
Unfortunately, what works for one person doesn't always work for another, so I'm learning that there is a lot of trial and error here! Hopefully we can each figure out what works best for us and all have painless bms from here on out!
Best of luck!!!
Peppermint Patty
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1