Anal Fissures that won't go away, very painful, tearing.

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Anal Fissures that won't go away, very painful, tearing.

Postby TearingPain » 18 Apr 2013, 18:02

Hello, I am 29 year olds. Do not have health insurance, and poor. So I try to avoid going to the doctor unless it is very severe.
All my life, I have constipation. I admit this is due to my unhealthy eating pattern with lots of meat, and no vegetables. I have diagnosed with anal fissures before by family doctor. My bowel movement is like once every three day. And when I pass stool, I strain and push a lot, and it cause bleeding, and extreme anus pain.
Lately for the past one month, it is getting bad, very painful when passing stool, and I can feel it tearing, and saw bright red blood drops in the toilet bowl.
No other pain or discomfort when eating or digestion, so I am sure that my anal fissures is coming back to haunt me, lol.
So my a few questions I want to ask. Can I just try a healthy diet and let the fissures heal? I know it will take weeks.
If I don't get this treated, it is possible to died from loosing blood? Can anal fissures itself cause anemia?
How is others experienced the pain? Was it like cutting, tearing feeling when passing stool? I have this, maybe because I am constipated.
Any input is greatly appreciated, and thank you for reading.
TearingPain
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Anal Fissures that won't go away, very painful, tearing.

Postby Just 'Pain' Tired » 18 Apr 2013, 19:05

I'm a relative newbie, but just wanted to say I'm so sorry about your pain and situation. I'm weeks/months into enduring agony from a large AF almost every day. I don't know if you're male or female, but I'm female and the pain at times has been similar to childbirth. It can be so severe I wonder if I might pass out and fall off the toilet. Other times it's painful but more bearable. I'll recommend that you get going on diet changes and drinking plenty of water. You will have to find what works for you as far as stool softeners. Another really helpful thing for me was to get some of the nifedipine/lidocaine ointment, which I could use before and after a bowel movement. That was worth a trip to the doctor right there! There are many other ideas and experiences posted on this site. Take the time to read them. I wish you well, fellow sufferer. This problem takes a lot of time and patience!
Just 'Pain' Tired
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby TearingPain » 18 Apr 2013, 19:37

Thank you so much for your reply, very helpful.
I'm female too. I always anal fissures, but was mild.
This time it more severe. Everytime I have bowel movement, it feels like knife cut my meat, and I can feel it tearing as stool pass. Since I'm constipated, I strain more, so it tear even more.
I never give birth, so I don't know how give birth feels like. But this fissure tearing pain is terrible too.
I do lost blood, I see bright red color blood drip in the toilet bowl. I don't think the blood is a lot, since the blood mix with toilet water, it seem , scary.
Usually with anal fissures, you don't lost blood enough to be anemic right?
Anemia does happened to those people with stomach ulcers bleeding, but that is different. Their blood in stool don't drip down the bowl and bright red color like anal fissures.
It is normal for an anal fissures to continue experienced pain 2-3 hours after a bowel movement? Last time I visit the restroom was 3 hours ago, and now sitting on computer, I can still feel pain.
TearingPain
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby Just 'Pain' Tired » 19 Apr 2013, 10:56

Glad to offer some help/ideas! The pain after your BM's is likely spasm of the sphincter muscle. Many people on this website talk about these! That pain is bad too. Like menstrual cramps up your butt! It can help to get into a warm bath or the sitz baths you put on your toilet. The blood can be scary but it isn't something to worry as much about, according to the medical people I've seen. It does mean that you probably are re-tearing with your BM's. :( Water, more fiber, stool softeners are the way to go. You can overdo it with adding too much fiber or fiber supplements at once. As you add fiber you may have more gas, which isn't fun either with an AF. But your body adjusts. More water is important as you add fiber, too. I hope you can get your BM's looser and softer, that will start to help! Again, many good ideas under diet and supplements on this site. Oh, about sitting. Sitting is a major factor for me (painful and seems to make it harder to heal). I now stand at the computer or when on the phone. One more trick to help avoid straining. Drink two glasses of cold water before your main BM; it gets things moving and helps to 'push' out the poop rather than having to strain as much. At least it helps me! Some people like warm water for the same reason. Good luck! :)
Just 'Pain' Tired
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby Anonymon » 19 Apr 2013, 12:08

I got a little anemic from some significant blood loss in the beginning, but it doesn't sound like you're losing enough blood to get to that point.
Getting your diet and stool consistent and smooth, so you don't retear it every morning like I did, is a must. Diet changes, and stool softeners like Miralax or Milk of Magnesia (I use the Magnesia), are you chief method of healing if you're not going to get a prescription for an ointment to help. I'm presently healing on that alone, but it does take time.
Anonymon
Salt Bather

Topics: 26

Postby Miss K » 21 Apr 2013, 06:17

I called my out of hours medical helpline when I noticed blood dripping too about a month ago (was scared as was late at night and wasn't sure if I should go to the ER in case I fainted from blood loss). The doctor advised our bodies can handle losing quite a lot before it becomes dangerous (he used a blood donation as example where you can take a lot at once and still be fine). He said the body replenishes it's blood supply relatively quickly, so as long as I wasn't soaking toilet paper for a long time afterwards it should be okay. He also suggested taking an iron supplement if concerned about becoming anaemic, which I'm doing as I've cut red meat until this is fixed up.
Good luck with the fissure! Am almost 2 weeks into rectogesic, baths and the most simple, bland, dull diet I've ever been on and hoping so much to see improvements soon!)
Miss K
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

((((((((((((((((Diet alone can do it))))))))))))))))))))

Postby Guest » 21 Apr 2013, 14:02

Do not have health insurance, and poor

Me too TearingPain: Sorry that you are going through this.
I too had to fight my battles without a Dr. and on diet alone. You can indeed beat it this way as I did.
I am poor also and the only treatment I could afford is the few creams, vaseline and a change of diet.
But I was bull-headed as it took me years to finally correct my diet.
Who wants to be told what they can eat. But finally, after over a decade of so many retears and so many burning spasmic nights, and so many uncomfortable days I said enough is enough.
I certainly thought I could eat what I wanted, but my fissures finally convinced me otherwise.
I attacked my eating pattern, got rid of the foods I knew caused hard stools, increased the foods I knew caused soft stools, forced myself to drink plenty water even though not thirsty and that did it for me. I have now been fissureless for well over a year, and the few hard stools I now get does not cause re-tears, thanks to my new diet im convinced.
The hardest part was thinking the AF's would eventually stop recurring because my diet pattern was the same when I first started getting AFs, so I naturally thought it would go away for good while enjoying the same diet.
But they never did.
you say
And when I pass stool, I strain and push a lot,

You just irrigated a birth of a fissure, just like watering and sunshine helps a seed. Please do not strain now, grab some Vaseline-(Petroleum jelly if not in USA). Apply it liberally over fissure before bile movements. This cuts down the re-tears and burning and eases out the bm.
you ask
it is possible to died from loosing blood? Can anal fissures itself cause anemia?

I have never heard of anyone dying from an AF, and as for anemia I havent heard of anyone complaining of anemic symptoms due to their AFs.
Dont be bull-headed like me, make the corrections now in your diet to save you years of frustration pain and re-tears like I went through.
GL HTH
Last edited by Guest on 21 Apr 2013, 14:07, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: typo

Postby suzyljank » 21 Apr 2013, 15:01

Hi, sorry you having so much trouble. Just a word about bleeding. Most of the time it looks like a lot more than it is, that's to good news. The bad news, if you are bleeding everyday and it seems excessive see your doctor. Don't let them put you off either. I started bleeding from hemmies years ago. I thought it was too much but the docs kept telling me no, it just looks like a lot when it mixed with the toilet water. I finally insisted on seeing my doctor because my gut was telling me it was too much. By the time I got in and had a blood test I had lost a little more than 1/3 of my blood. I was put in intensive care and had all the tests because my doc assured me it couldn't be hemmies and turned out it was. I had to have 2 transfusions and emergency surgery. If you feel your bleeding is excessive please get it checked. We know our own bodies better than the doctors sometimes. All the best Suzy.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby bgd » 21 Apr 2013, 16:35

TearingPain wrote:It is normal for an anal fissures to continue experienced pain 2-3 hours after a bowel movement? Last time I visit the restroom was 3 hours ago, and now sitting on computer, I can still feel pain.

I wish it only lasted that much for me and still being able to sit. Do something about it NOW, unless you wanna end up like me. The longest spasm I had was for 14h, when it topped I was in tears screaming. I went through this for another agonizing month before I got treatment that worked (botox). Please stop your constipation asap. If I was me 1 month ago, I'd go vegetarian the next day till constipation resolved. The least and easiest thing you can do.
bgd
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby Port » 21 Apr 2013, 22:03

TearingPain all I can add is that I too had been constipated all my life, although not quite as bad as you sound. Straining to have a BM is a big NO. You have to experiment with Miralax or some other stool softener until you don't have to strain. You'll probably find when you change your eating habits(which you must) you'll start feeling better overall. For many of us, a new diet and life style will add many good quality years to our lives. Good Luck.
Port
Salt Bather

Topics: 2