Anal Fissures & Pregnancy

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Anal Fissures & Pregnancy

Postby Jerseygirl810 » 19 Apr 2013, 19:28

Hey guys,
First of all I'd like to say GOD BLESS whoever made this group. Seriously. I thought I was the only person on the planet with an anal fissure and this embarrassing terrible pain until I found this forum!
Anyway, I'm 25 and my husband I are talking about starting a family maybe in the next year or so (God willing). Well I've had this anal fissure for about 4 months now, and like most people on here, not much is helping to heal it... the pain comes and goes, and I've sorta figured out how to calm the pain, but it's not healing...
this brings me to being scared of getting pregnant.
I have always wanted to be a mom, but now I'm sincerely scared of pregnancy. I know from talking to friends and family how much pain and discomfort comes with most pregnancies, including hemorrhoids and issues down below. How will getting pregnant effect this anal fissure? Is it going to tear it open further? Will it mess me up for life? I really just don't know what to think.
If it's already something that is so difficult to heal, I dont see how pregnancy is going to help it... Image but my husband and I both want kids...
Has anyone on here gotten pregnant while already having an anal fissure? If so, please share your experience. I'm very curious.
Thank you!!
Jerseygirl810

Topics: 2

Re: Anal Fissures & Pregnancy

Postby guiness » 20 Apr 2013, 07:08

Me too, im getting better but never want a fissure again. Im getting married in four months, wanted to get pregnant soon after. If i wasnt getting better, i would think about surgery. However i dont know what that means for pregnancy either. I hope someone on here can inform us?
guiness
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby Englanddevon » 08 May 2013, 02:07

Hi ladies I'm also in the same position, we had wanted to start a family this year but this has messed up any plans, and just about every other part of life! I haven't been able to get an exact answer to this either. However, when I spoke to my consultant (3 wks post Botox, still pain) he said that it would be a case of seeing how I healed up but it would be wise to wait as long as possible after healing as the pressure of a baby could cause fissure or piles which he believes also causes fissures, great. So even if I finally heal and get pregnant then I'm going to be panicking the whole time that this is going to happen again. I'm also worried about it happening during childbirth as I couldn't imagine trying to cope with this and look after a baby x
Englanddevon
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Deleted User 2651 » 08 May 2013, 12:31

I'm the same boat too... evidently it's pretty packed :)
There is an earlier thread we started earlier this week titled "To conceive or not to conceive" when women who have been through pregnancy or are thinking about it weighed in.
Seems like there is no set answer. On one hand, you can get one or even if it heals it can come back during pregnancy. On the other hand it's so not fun to deal with. I have heard that C sections may be a better option than pushing. My personal situation is that I'm on week 4 of the nitro cream, since it's a pregnancy grade C I'm going to finish the 6 weeks and then go the home remedy route and try for a baby. Obviously with any "plan" it's subject to change based on pain, etc.
I have an appt with a CRS on Thursday afternoon and am planning to ask him. I'll let you know what he says.
But regardless, I think it's a personal decision and I don't plan to let this run my life.
I'm also only having pain during BM at the moment so it's not terribly disrupting daily life.
It's nice to know I'm not alone in this baby/fissure situation.
Deleted User 2651

Postby Deleted User 2651 » 10 May 2013, 11:05

Just updating... after going to see the CRS he said the fissures looked like they were healing (super excited!) and to come back in another 4 weeks if things aren't improving.
When I asked him about pregnancy he said that pregnancy can complicate things and for where my fissures are at right now, that should be my priority. So we'll see.
I'm pretty bummed though. I was really hoping to start trying for a baby. :( BUT I am thankful and excited and hopeful for the healing process.
Deleted User 2651

Postby Englanddevon » 17 May 2013, 08:40

That's great news that your healing, hoping that the rest of your recovery is speedy so that you can get on with your plans x
Englanddevon
Salt Bather

Postby guiness » 23 May 2013, 21:08

Talked to a csr today... He told me the fissure once healed is not a problem during pregnancy, and yes you can have lis before you have kids. He said c section would be optional, like if the baby is big or has a big head. But a c section is not mandatory. But i think thats what i would choose to be on safe side, since i never want to go through this again.
guiness
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Ceeteefeebs » 23 May 2013, 22:09

That's very encouraging news! I was just thinking about these very things this afternoon- so thanks for sharing! Someone inadvertently spooked me about having LIS before kids, and this makes me rest a bit easier. And I couldn't agree more with you. Six months ago, I had abdominal surgery to remove a fist-sized benign ovarian tumor. I'd take that surgery and recovery again in a heartbeat over the incessant, months-long pain of this fissure. If and when I have children, a c-section is the way I'm going!
Ceeteefeebs
Salt Bather

Postby Englanddevon » 24 May 2013, 03:31

Hi ladies I'm with you on the c section route. Before the last 6 months of hell I was very fit and active, and although not overweight I've got a big pair of hips so just always assumed that I would go all natural and be fine. However, the last few months have changed my views as its bad enough that this has happened at all but would have been worse if I had a baby to look after considering I can work or barely look after myself at the moment.
With regards to the LIS - I had done a lot of research on this and was open to it. However, in a nutshell i am currently recovering (2weeks post) from my second lot of Botox, but this time with 3 fissurectomy for each tear, polyp removal and a fair bit if stitching.
Prior to this second op my surgeon said absolutely no to LIS due to being female. As I said from research on this forum I was open to this, but it also seems to be that there are varying opinions between surgeons. I know the usual advice is to be aware of any surgeons who say this but I honestly trusted this surgeon as he has lead research projects etc specifically into anal tearing?
Anyway I really hoping that this is the last surgery for me, not gone into any of the details as my recovery to date has been so bad that I was kept in hospital for a week, I hope to be able to do a positive recovery post in the near future!
Englanddevon
Salt Bather