Fissure aggravation/ Retear????

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Fissure aggravation/ Retear????

Postby Ever the Optimist » 01 May 2013, 15:06

Hi all,
So, I have been suffering a particularly nasty bout of IBS over the last couple of weeks and for the first time in a long time, I'm worrying a little again...
I have a chronic fissure (1 year, 5 months old) and it's always given the odd twinge on & off to let me know it's there but in the last couple of days, the sensations have changed again and the fissure feels aggravated again. It is not the intense knife-type pain I originally had, just little (less painful) stabs again, and not all the time, sadly more after a BM and also if I get a build up of wind down there putting pressure on the area. The sentinel pile has also always played up a little, but again nothing major and this fissure is internal and can't be seen visibly.
In anyone's experience, does this mean that I have retorn or damaged the fissure again and the pain levels will now just continue to increase to those awful really painful days?? or is it just a possibilty that I have aggravated it and if I'm super careful, it might just settle down again???
I'm seeing my CRS again on May 10th but any advice would be really appreciated in the meantime please!! Damn it! - Just when I thought I was finally getting a grip on this all too - Image
Thanks Image
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Re: Fissure aggravation/ Retear????

Postby richibeno » 01 May 2013, 17:00

Hi eto what are we like eh'
Have you changed any thing in the last week diet ect '
Any blood or just uncomfortable or pains
I know if I have a bad time I have normally eaten something bad or a lot of something
If I eat more than a couple of slices of bread it can really bung me up and I have /a big bm like Monday when I think I agrivated a hem and had some blood and today Ihad a second bm and I felt it a bit and had a tiny bit of blood may be go really soft foods for a while 'plent of water
One other thing on last Sunday I helped dismantle a trampaline'which in evolved some straining and after I could feel my muscles down there '
Be carefull '
Here's to great healing
Health and happiness
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby Savaici » 01 May 2013, 17:18

Sorry you've not been well these last couple of weeks, ETO. What a bloody see saw we live on, never knowing if one little scrap of food is going to mess us up, set back months of 'work'. I had a month of hell with my Behcet's so know how lousy things can get suddenly.
Get better soon. I've missed you on the Games! Image
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby jr2 » 01 May 2013, 19:07

It is a see-saw . Every time there is an extra twinge or extra feeling of irritation we all re-live the times of our nightmares when things have been at their very worst. The battle in our mind with our thoughts is just as hard as the physical pain is to endure.
The thing I've learned with my own chronic fissure life is that the depth and extent of the tear is the critical factor when it comes to those worst days of pain. So, even if you have had a recurrence it doesn't necessarily mean you are headed for the worst of the worst.
It could also just be irritation from the flare of your IBS, irritation that would totally be expected.
It seems that those of us suffering with other ailments are all in bad flares right now. Maybe the changing seasons ?
Anyway, I hope things calm for you on all fronts soon, and it turns out to just be some irritation from the recent tummy flare. It's good news that you have a doctor appointment so soon. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Ever the Optimist » 02 May 2013, 00:22

Aw you all made me cry this morning.... :(
You are all so wonderful in these times of need...
No, no blood, just these awful stomach cramps prior to a BM and no major pain this morning going, just more irritation afterwards than usual and I know the area is definitely more sensitive right now because I could feel everything pass over the fissure but I am using lots more vaseline again, so hoping this is irritation and any damage done is not major, just like you say, "bad days".....
I've not done anything differently in my usual routine other than had a couple of glasses of red wine at the weekend but that hasn't bothered me in the past, so I'm certain it's all to do with this IBS flare-up again and the fact that two days ago I was having well-formed but larger BM's although today, I seem back to softer, smaller days.......I guess time will tell but it will be good to go back to the CRS for a bottom chat and definitely a GP too for an IBS related chat.
It's been such a long time since I've had any issues really with the fissure, so to experience this as you say Jnr, is definitely another emotional blow.
Thanks again all of you for just being there. It helps so much and hoping you all too are keeping well.....
Time to mentally take the focus off that fissure, no matter what is seems to be doing and focus on positivity and optimism that it's just a bad flare and it'll soon be better again!..........
Sav - It's been busy but those games are fun! I'll be back soon and Rich, we're putting up a trampoline today! - so I will hide and only appear if needed in the process!!!
Thanks so much again all for being there......
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Postby Rachael 1984 » 02 May 2013, 01:39

Hi Ever the optimist, hang in there, I am thinking of you. I know the problems IBS can cause. Why not see if you can be referred to a dietician?! I wish I had done this a long time ago, as the FODMAP PLAN I am on is really helping me. I know I will never get rid of it, but if managing the symptoms and the constipation helps, then I see it as a positive. Also killing the monsters is paramount! C'mon full arsenal ahead.
Image enjoy the sun today and don't overdo it. Good luck with the CRS, and I hope you see some improvement soon. Xx Image
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby owmybum » 02 May 2013, 02:42

ETO,
So sorry you've had a set back..... We all know and dread that heart sinking feeling when something gets irritated and that nagging pain starts to take centre stage in our minds.
Try to stay positive... Stick to super safe foods you know won't irritate your IBS or fissure and hopefully things will settle down.
You are not due your period are you? My af always feels raw and agrivated a week or so before I start.
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Ever the Optimist » 02 May 2013, 15:34

Thank you OMB & Rachael for popping in!
You are great! Thanks so much for your advice too x
OMB - I just finished my period when all this started, so I was feeling a bit raw & sensitive anyway. With the IBS on top, it's just made things prolonged & worse I think!!
I am definitely doing more research on IBS friendly- foods to see what might really help & Rachael, would be really interested to hear more on the FODMAP plan too & how/ if it's working for you....
Thank you so much for your kind thoughts. I'll update soon & be in touch Image
Ever the Optimist

Postby jr2 » 02 May 2013, 16:04

ETO ...
If you want to learn moreabout FODMAPS and are considering a dietician, there is an excellent book on it called "IBS Free at Last" by Patsy Catsos. Basically, you learn about the kinds of foods that generally cause trouble for people with IBS, and follow a diet plan that eliminates the most common trigger foods and has you add back foods slowly over time to test your tolerance levels.
The idea behind it has to do with imbalances in the bacteria in the intestines of people with IBS and how you need to learn what foods feed the problem bacteria for your individual physiology so you can be careful about limiting those foods in your diet.
I'm so glad to read that Rachael is seeing improvements with it! Yay!
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby marg6043 » 02 May 2013, 19:48

Ever the Optimist sorry you are having a set back, I am there with you, my fissure is 11 months now and I like you get the twinge and mild stabs once in a while but never as bad as it was in the beginning.
I think it has to do with changes in diet and stool consistency, in my case I get an occasional mild pain and irritation after a BM with some bit of blood once in while.
I guess when it comes to chronic fissures they just seem to have a mind of their own.
But make sure that you keep the routine lubricate, lubricate and more lubrication.
I also have an app with my CRS on june, I am seriously considering putting and end to this hide and seek fissure symptoms once and for all.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8