Chronic Fissure healed 100% naturally!

Please help others by posting your success story here. Tell us what worked for you, before you move on with your fissure-free life!!

Return to Anal Fissure Success Stories

Chronic Fissure healed 100% naturally!

Postby Ever the Optimist » 10 May 2013, 17:09

Hello everyone,
Today my chronic fissure was confirmed 100% healed. Here's my story......
I'd been dealing with my chronic fissure for 1 year and 5 months to be precise.
It started at the beginning of December 2011, I was in sheer knife-stabbing agony with it until the end of January 2012, when I was admitted for an emergency appointment. Following an immediately scheduled Examination Under Anaesthetic (EUA) the fissure was diagnosed and I was put on a 7 week course of Diltiazem cream.
In the meantime, I acquired an abscess & a fistula, which took a lot of focus off the fissure and I underwent a simple Fistulomy to treat the Fistula in June 2012 (another story but with a very happy & successful ending).....
Prior to the Fistula op, and some time in March 2012, I came off the Diltiazem and the difference in the way I physically felt was unbelievable. My pain levels were hugely decreased and although I continued to have some spasms and a feeling of pressure in the anal area for a couple of months after, everything was manageable. I felt I was getting my life back on track.
Just to add that I have suffered huge stress-related issues with the fissure to the extent I was prescribed AD's because I wasn't coping and hit rock bottom mentally. These also played a major role in my healing, "lifting" my moods back to a level where I gained renewed strength and more determination than ever to beat this thing. They are not for everyone, but they worked for me.
Following the Fistulomy, I was pretty much focused on the Fistula recovery - Incidentally, and for anyone who is wondering, this had NO link at all to the fissure. It was a totally separate and unfortunate occurence.
I healed extremely well from the Fistula surgery. It took about 4-6 months for complete healing and to the point I would never have known I had suffered a Fistula.
The Fistulomy was performed under GA and it was also revealed at that time that I had two small internal piles.
In the meantime, the fissure continued to heal, slowly but surely, week by week.
Things got better & better. I was having no pain with BM's, I never bled although I continued to get mild twinging from the fissure site - just a gentle reminder that it was not quite healed and for me, a valuable warning to ensure that I continued with all the good dietary and toilet habits that I had learned through the whole thing and NEVER ever to strain or push again during a BM. I did however start to experience a whole new change of symptoms - feelings of general soreness, itchiness and "pricking" sensations, which I initially assumed were related somehow to the fissure as the main sensations were coming from the fissure site. These were not major, infact nothing compared to that original fissure pain but enough for me to feel the need to go back to my CRS today for an update.
The "twinges" from the fissure I was experiencing finally stopped.
In the meantime, I drew my own conclusions on those sensations and with a lot of valuable information acquired on this very site and a lot of internet research, I self-diagnosed my internal Sentinel pile, which was never particularly visible! I would never ever recommend anyone self-diagnosing anything but with the amount of knowledge I feel I have acquired over the last few months and the fact I now know my bottom so well, I just knew and sensed that I was correct in my thinking!
This morning, I saw my CRS. He performed a thorough internal investigation, which unlike previously, was painless.
He confirmed that the sensations I have been feeling were a result of minor scar tissue and the formation of the classic Sentinel pile! The fissure was 100% healed and the piles have shrunk hugely. He was beaming and so was I!!! He said he never wanted to see me again in the nicest possible way!
Going forward, he had two pieces of very important advice:
1) Never allow your body to get constipated. Continue always & forever with good diet habits and never ever force a BM. Do whatever you need to do essentially to keep those stools soft!
2) If I ever had a recurrence of major fissure pain, he advised me to get straight to a GP for Nitro/ Diltiazem and use it religiously for 6 weeks but he did stress that if I followed the above step, a recurrence was not likely.
So this is my story and I now have hopefully the final hurdle to overcome - the reminder of the fissure! - The classic Sentinel pile - but, my CRS did advise that even that with time, this would very possibly shrink and become less bothersome. He strongly advised me that he would NEVER consider removing it and was also against any form of pile-banding because these can create further issues in such a delicate area.
To anyone dealing with a chronic fissure, never ever give up hope!
Chronic fissures heal and even if you do have to take the surgery route, you will get there.
We are all so unique and heal in our own way and in our time, but have faith in your bodies' healing powers.
Positivity, patience and inner strength are key in the recovery process.
Please feel free to PM me if you ever need to.......
My fissure might be healed but I will always be around to help anyone suffering.
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Re: Chronic Fissure healed 100% naturally!

Postby CrackinUp » 10 Jun 2013, 05:57

That's fantastic news, pleased you are healed! :)
Bad luck ref the fistula, which brings me to;
So this is my story and I now have hopefully the final hurdle to overcome - the reminder of the fissure! - The classic Sentinel pile - but, my CRS did advise that even that with time, this would very possibly shrink and become less bothersome.

My skin tag / sentinel pile played up last week and caused me a bit of discomfort. No pain at all, I was just aware of 'something' down there and a bit of discharge.
Anyway... seems to be fine... I hope!! Brought back old memories I had shelved.
CrackinUp
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby marg6043 » 10 Jun 2013, 15:24

Ever the Optimist, I am now officially to join the club of healed fissure.
I am also so happy for you in your long journey to healing.
You are right, one big thing is never ever get constipated that was my doctors advice after todays check up
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby splinterboy1984 » 10 Jun 2013, 19:09

Congrats MARG! Was your fissure chronic? if yes did the crs mention anything about scar tissue? are your stools narrower then before?
splinterboy1984
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby marg6043 » 10 Jun 2013, 19:54

splinterboy1984, yes it was chronic, 12 months, the internal examination shows that my sphincter is relaxed and the walls are smooth, the scar tissue is soft, but because is new tissue I can get irritated, if I am not careful, I healed naturally.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby notmuchfunanymore » 27 Jun 2013, 21:35

So glad to hear that chronic fissures CAN heal!
I've been battling two since Jan 2012.
For the last year or so, I've had virtually no pain, and only a little blood randomly, but can't seem to wean off Miralax without returning symptoms, and my CRS confirmed its still there.
After reading some stories of chronic fissures being ridiculously stubborn, I'm glad to know someone made it out alive! Hope my story has a happy ending too.
I say a Hail Mary when I poo.
notmuchfunanymore
Salt Bather

Topics: 17

Postby Ever the Optimist » 28 Jun 2013, 16:56

I say a Hail Mary when I poo.
LOL - Love this!
Notmuchfun - Hang in there! You're doing great and we all know how long these things can take.
The fact you have reduced pain and rare bleeding is fantastic stuff and you're possibly closer to full healing than you think.
Do you think a little fear might be creeping in with the thought of stopping the stool softener?? Admittedly, I pretty much took a stool softener right up to the end and then began substituting with 300mg of Magnesium every night, which has proven to be as equally effective as the Lactulose I was on.
Just remember how it all started and look at you now! - Hopefully a few weeks more and you'll be there. Keeping my fingers crossed tight for you :) 
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Postby Ever the Optimist » 28 Jun 2013, 17:02

I just wanted to add a further update to this!!!
I now no longer have any issues with the Sentinel pile - it's still there but appears to have shrunk a lot, since taking care not to become constipated or to strain and to maintain soft stools, infact I rarely suffer any discomfort from the internal hems either these days.
I won't deny that I do now & again feel sensations from the scar tissue and the original fissure site but these are nothing major either. My bottom feels 99.5% normal today and maybe it always will but at least life feels pretty much normal again!
Stay positive all xxxxxxxxx
Ever the Optimist

Postby splinterboy1984 » 28 Jun 2013, 20:03

ETO How long did you take mirilax? and how much? I have been taking 1 cap mirilax but worried about side effects.
splinterboy1984
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Ever the Optimist » 29 Jun 2013, 15:33

Hi Splinter,
I never took Miralax.
I took Lactulose, 20ml at night and after Breakfast + a large tablespoon of Olive Oil before bed. This was when the fissure was at its worst.
As it got better, I reduced the Lactulose to just the nighttime dose and stopped the Olive Oil. Just before I was confirmed as healed, I switched the Lactulose to 250mg of Magnesium, which I took before bed. This has been brilliant in helping keep my stools nice & soft.....
I think 1 cup of Miralax is fine and it is one of the stool softeners that are safe to continue for long-term, if necessary. Initial side effects seem to include bloating, gas, minor cramps, whilst the stuff kicks in but these generally settle down after a couple of weeks. From what I've read, no one here has had major side effects but people have said how they've had to experiment to get the right dosage as too much can lead to runnier, too soft or more frequent BM's. Overall though, a lot of people have nothing but praise for it.
Ever the Optimist