I'm an exclusively breast feeding mom..

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

I'm an exclusively breast feeding mom..

Postby Kreaybutt » 13 May 2013, 11:37

How much water should I be drinking a day if I'm exclusively breast feeding? I feel like I drink a ton but it might not be enough.. I'm suffering from two AF's and just started taking a full dose of Miralax a day for two days but stool don't seem "that" soft yet. Does it take a while to start working? Should I take Metamucil with it to keep stools formed? I'm so lost on what to do to heal these things! Also, what does a spasm feel like? After a BM I have a feeling of my butt twitching or a feeling like I have to go again but I don't. Thanks for any answers!
Kreaybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 30

Re: I'm an exclusively breast feeding mom..

Postby jr2 » 13 May 2013, 18:02

Kreaybutt
Miralax can take some time to kick in for some people. Sometimes several days to see the effects of softened stool. You do need to compensate both for the breastfeeding and the Miralax by drinking a lot of water. Also, Not sure what the weather is like where you are, but going into summer will make water even more important.
Generally, it is recommended to take half your body weight and drink that much water in ounces per day. You can start there and use the color of your urine as a guide to keeping hydrated. If it's darker yellow you can adjust up your intake of water, or if you're urinating really frequently and it's totally clear you can adjust downward in your water intake.
Good luck, and I hope you heal soon. It must be so hard to have fissures with a baby to care for!
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Mommyof3 » 13 May 2013, 20:06

Kreaybutt
I could have wrote your post! I am breastfeeding also and I know not taking care of myself like I should have has gotten me in to this mess. Hard to do with a baby. Have you been taking Metamucil? I bought some but have been afraid to take it.
Mommyof3
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Deleted User 2651 » 14 May 2013, 17:21

Hi Kreaybutt,
I'm taking metamucil and I think it works well for me. I put two heaping spoonfulls in a mug either in the morning or before bed. It's not a laxative so it doesn't give you the "OMG I need a bathroom NOW!"
I also don't think it makes my stools any softer. I go more, like it sure cleans things out... but I don't think it really softens things us.
My husband and I are trying to start a family in another month or so no matter what my fissures are up to then. (The CRS diagnosed a few small tears, said they were healing, and said to give it another 4 weeks). SO I know there are some medications that are pregnancy class C drugs. One thing I've used that has really seemed to help is extra virgin organic coconut oil.
Good luck!
Deleted User 2651

Postby Kreaybutt » 14 May 2013, 19:53

Mommyof3- kind of funny how alike our situations are because I've also bought Metamucil and have been too scared to use it! Today I found maple and brown sugar oatmeal that has 8 grams of soluble fiber! I plan on eating that every morning. Are you taking Miralax or any stool softeners?
Keepingthehope- does the Metamucil help your BM's to come out easier and on their own? That's my problem right now...do you out the coconut oil inside or just around? Good luck with starting a family by the way!
Kreaybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Mommyof3 » 14 May 2013, 20:10

Hi Kreaybutt, I have been eating oatmeal too! Mine does not have that much fiber...what is the brand name? I also eat Raisin Bran and fiber one cereal. I was going crazy with the bran...baking with it in muffins and eating the cereal in the morning. It was a little to much! I guess all the insoluble fiber?? I don't know! Lol! I am not taking any stool softners or Miralax. Thinking I should but maybe. I just don't know what to do. Ugh!
Mommyof3
Fibre Addict

Postby Kreaybutt » 14 May 2013, 20:30

Mommyof3- how much water do you drink a day? I get about 130 oz anything less than that and I'd get hard BM's. I just bought bran muffins and I can't wait to eat one in the morning lol. Hope it doesn't back me up though?? Does the fiber one cereal make you go a lot? That's what I'm afraid of. The oatmeal is instant oatmeal by Quaker oats
Kreaybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Mommyof3 » 14 May 2013, 20:57

Kreaybutt
You are doing better than me on the water! I bet I am only getting maybe around 100 oz. I can't keep up! I know I need more water or something. I had bleeding today and had not for about a week. Something I ate made my BM's a little harder :( I don't think the bran will not back you up. I was having I think too much of it...because I was going like 3 times a day for a few days! Not a good thing! I felt very sore. Yes, the fiber cereal I was eating was the Kelloggs fruit and yogurt cereal. Very yummy! I would eat it at night and then first thing in the morning I would have a BM...but I think I was over doing it too. After today I think I will do oatmeal one day and bran flakes the next and see how that works in the morning .
Mommyof3
Fibre Addict

Postby Mommyof3 » 14 May 2013, 21:12

Kreaybutt, was also wondering if you are drinking anything else besides water? I want to drink juice or something but not sure it is a good idea. Lol!
Mommyof3
Fibre Addict

Postby Kreaybutt » 14 May 2013, 21:19

I drink coconut water and just bought organic orange juice today to start drinking with breakfast, I too have been scared to drink anything else! I will let you know how the juice affects me tomorrow :)
Kreaybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist