Swelling?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Swelling?

Postby Kreaybutt » 22 May 2013, 08:49

Today Ive already had 3 BM's, all had no blood, no pain or spasm BUT now after soaking in a hot bath and then shower my bum is feeling sore to the touch and I can feel swelling. Is this normal? How can I relieve the discomfort a little? Thanks!
Kreaybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 30

Re: Swelling?

Postby Ever the Optimist » 22 May 2013, 14:57

Hi Kreaybutt,
When you say "swelling" do mean from the anal area in general or in a specific area??
I know the more BM's I have in a day, the more sore I can feel by the end of it and especially moreso, if those BM's are runnier/ harder than the good well-formed soft ones. I also know that any form of straining creates that same "swelling" feeling for me, so not good, if you are doing this.
Sometimes just the extra pressure from going a bit more than usual, can give you a "swelling" sensation down there especially if you are suffering a bit more generally. I also have internal hems, so the additional pressure on those doesn't help and probably contributes to increasing the anal pressure generally. I think it probably is normal and chances are you will feel better in the morning, but as ever, just keep an eye and ask your CRS the questions if you feel the need........
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Kreaybutt » 22 May 2013, 15:04

Yes they were runnier than usual and I think that may be the problem. I also have internal hems (from child birth) so that could be past of it. I think I'll cut back in the Miralax a bit!
Kreaybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby bgd » 23 May 2013, 04:06

Hot bath caused me swelling too. It took me a while to get the temp right and I found that 38-39C works best, relaxing muscle without causing too much swelling.
I was at my worse when I had 3 BMs per day, definitely not good for the AF. Now I'm at one BM every other day, but before I was at one BM every 3-4 days. Only works of course if you are able to keep stool soft for that long with proper diet and water intake.
bgd
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby Kreaybutt » 23 May 2013, 05:58

I never even considered a hot bath to be the culprit! I out the water as hot as it can go. Ill have to change that up a bit lol
Kreaybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby bgd » 23 May 2013, 07:19

Well the main cause is the irritation after BM of course, but I found very hot bath just adds a lot to it.
Applying ice also worked reducing the swelling, but sometimes even ice caused a burning sensation. Apply with caution.
bgd
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby owmybum » 23 May 2013, 12:44

You could always use a cotton wool ball, soaked in fridge cold water, and hold it on the area for a few minutes. I always find that ice is too cold, and gives me brain freeze!!!
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !