God Help Me - I Have Another Fissure.

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: God Help Me - I Have Another Fissure.

Postby crimeofpassion » 13 Jun 2013, 08:42

Having a bit of trouble applying the Rectiv – I actually made another post asking for suggestions. For now I’m using my pinky finger, but I wonder if a syringe type applicator would work better. The headaches have been mild, noticing some burning today, but I think I remember that from the compounded nitro I used 2-3 years ago.
Today is day 23 of my fissure. Still taking two baths per day with Epsom salt, drinking a bit over 100 ounces of water daily, one dose of Miralax per day, plus 2 soluble fiber gummies.  Occasionally using a heating pad as well when I’m at home, and I bought a cushion (not a donut-style cushion, which I’ve heard mixed things about) for my chair at work since I sit most of the day. And I’m mostly sticking to foods with fiber/foods that are easy to digest. Fruit, oatmeal, a slice of whole grain wheat bread with peanut butter on it, hummus, brown rice, occasional fish or chicken, etc. In fact, I’ve been going to the bathroom twice a day lately, so I’m wondering if I should maybe incorporate some non-fiber-heavy foods.  And now I’ve got Rectiv. So far as I can tell, I’m doing everything I can.

I’ve been poking about Google a bit trying to get a feel for how fast I should be healing IF I’ll heal without a second LIS surgery. A number of websites say healing takes 4-6 weeks (28-42 days). I’m nearing the four week mark, so I feel a bit nervous even though I know I probably shouldn’t. The CRS I saw told me he doesn’t consider a fissure chronic until after 8 weeks, and he said my fissure looked like it was both acute and healing, but… Ugh. Every little nip of pain or moment of soreness makes me nervous.
I’ve come across more than one website that states fissures can heal in a few days to two weeks! So fast? Is that true for some people?!
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 16

Postby Fernie1 » 17 Jun 2013, 07:46

I have burning with nitro most of the time too and zero headaches even from the very beginning ..we are all different I guess..we all have different healing rates too..I say don't compare ur self to others. I know after my LIS I was freaking out because I read some where after two weeks all should be back to normal, no pain, no blood..well it took me way over two weeks. I say don't guide your progress by what u read..we are all different..u are eating right and taking allthe right steps guide ur progress according to the first day u got urfissure. Comparring my selfto the things I read or to others just got me. depressed and made me more nervous and miserable...I know u will get better u seem to have a great routine and u do ur research and know ur stuff..feel better soon and speedy healing!
Fernie1
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby crimeofpassion » 17 Jun 2013, 18:04

So true, Fernie!
Tomorrow I’ll hit the 4 week mark – 28 days since I tore. I haven’t bled for a while (not that I’ve seen anyway, but I’ve heard a lack of bleeding can be due to a tight sphincter rather than healing), and I have no sharp pain when going to the bathroom. But I still get some minor burning and ache-y pain, and just sort of an “off” sensation at times, especially if I sit for too long.

I feel better, but I don’t think I’m actually healed.

I have a question about exercise (not sure if I should make a new thread, but I'll try here first). I’ve read mixed things about whether walking is good. Some people say it irritates their fissure and people should focus on resting, others say it increases blood flow and helps them feel better. I understand this may vary person to person, but in general, is walking considered a good thing? All the summer festivals are coming up, and I’m wondering how paranoid I need to be if I’m on my feet for a long time. It seems to me that it could actually be a good thing…
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Fernie1 » 17 Jun 2013, 18:44

I know walking is good for me. Any other type of exercise just creates to much sweat and stingy feeling..like lime juice on a paper cut..ouch...this is what happens to me though..maybe others do more rigorous exercise with no probs..I say try walking at first..then see if u can add something else..for now walking is all the exercise I do...u see certain exercise moves like lunges, Pilate's or even running hurt my bum..I guess we are all different when it comes to exercise too.
Fernie1
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby crimeofpassion » 21 Jun 2013, 09:53

Ugh! Darn it. I've been having some issues with the Miralax. My stool has actually been pretty ideal consistency-wise, but in the last three days I've had a BM three times, two times, and then three times again so far this morning. It's not diarrhea, but that is TOO DARN MUCH. I only want to go ONCE a day, thank you! I've been taking around half a cap of Miralax, maybe just a touch over half. Also eating two soluble fiber gummies per day (4 grams of soluble fiber each, I believe). Trying to go easy on the insoluble fiber. I guess I may need to cut my Miralax dose further...
Anyone else experience this with Miralax? Anyone have suggestions for foods high in soluble fiber? Insoluble seems more common, almost...
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Please go-away! » 21 Jun 2013, 11:05

Hi every one, hay marge what are the muscle relaxing exercises, you are talking about, got to have it,,lol.  the strangest things happen with me, My stool is a excellent type 4 to 5 on the bristel scale, and no pain..but wait(there's more).
My breakfast had the right amount of fiber, good oils water etc etc,
then the wonderful BM happened. no pain ,no blood it sounds to good to be true, and to boot I haven't taken any co-lace(stool softener) for three days.
Slowly but surely the pain starts to descend.
1.throbbing.
2.pressure spasms
3. slight sharp pings that relax a bit then throb again.
the pain is a 2 going to a 3 or 4 on the scale and lasting for about 21/2 hours. If i put a slight pressure like rolling on a tennis ball when sitting it helps  or laying on my left side.
My healed fissure is on my right at the 5:00 o'clock position, I wonder if the pain I think is coming from my left side a tag or heme or another fissure.
Oye vay!   Image. The nitro cream helps..when I see my doctor I'm going to ask for a stronger compound, since I get no headaches or dizzy.
I can see how frustrating we all get , its  different for all of us.
For me walking seems to work by calming the nerves, relaxing but it takes time, and you have to get out of the funk, I try to block out the pain, just enough to get my pants on ,lol and running shoes on and get out the door and walk, and for some reason slowly walking up the stairs takes all pain away.
Image  So iam good to go now pain dulled to just sore,finally, its now 1:00,  I need to look for a job soon, how can I with this intense pain, Ya, tell my boss, "sorry do you mind if I go home or rest in the lunch room for 2 hours ,because I'm having intense pain.lol.
Any hew, luv ya all..toot toot..Image
Fissure fighter
Please go-away!
King Fissure

Topics: 15

Postby crimeofpassion » 27 Jun 2013, 09:10

I’m a little nervous that I’m in week 5 in the next few days and still experiencing some pain/burning – mostly a dull ache (exacerbated by long periods of sitting) with an occasional sharper nip here and there. I generally don’t experience much pain while actually going to the bathroom - no “cutting glass” style pain (knock on wood). I’ve been going to the bathroom 2-3 times daily for the past week or so, which is very annoying. Previously my stool seemed a bit too soft, but now (even with the same regimen of water & Miralax), it's often a 3 on the Bristol scale.
I’ve only been using Rectiv since about June 12th (2 weeks), so I know I should try to be more hopeful. My previous horrifying fissure experience is just making that difficult!
I confess I’m still a little confused about spasms. I was doing some research on this forum as to what a spasm actually feels like, and there are very mixed descriptions. Some people say it feels like an actual muscle spasm, others say it’s intense, sharp pain, and others say you may not actually feel it, but if you go to, say, apply nitroglycerin, your muscle will feel really tight.
Now, when I got my first fissure years ago, I thought my spasms were the tiny, painless muscle twitches I experienced (similar to when your eye twitches). But am I to assume I’m spasming when my rectal muscles feel tighter than normal? Usually my muscles seem a bit tight right before (when I go to apply some Vaseline) and after a BM. Unless I take a bath afterward, which I can’t always do, I have more difficulty applying the Rectiv internally (and usually settle for applying it externally). But that being said, I’ve noticed the same phenomenon when I DON’T have a fissure, especially after a bout of diarrhea. I’ll go to apply some Calmoseptine and notice that I feel tight. I never thought much of it. But now it sounds like it should concern me, since some people are insisting that’s actually a spasm.
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby jr2 » 27 Jun 2013, 09:51

crimeofpassion
Yes, the spasms concept can be confusing. The internal anal sphincter is normally closed and under a certain amount of tension. This is what keeps a person continent. When there is no fissure, it still should be easy to insert a finger (even two fingers) without any problem. The theory goes that people who naturally have a higher level of tension in the muscle (even without a fissure) are at higher risk of developing a fissure and hemorrhoids. The theory is this is both due to shearing forces when having a BM against a tight muscle, and the fact that the tissue itself is weaker because being under all that tension all the time there is less circulation in the area.
Now, you get a fissure. In response to the wound, the muscle gets even tighter than it was before (this is what is meant by a spasm). The kind of pain this can cause is described in different ways by different people, but mostly the pain is being caused because the muscle is tightening around a wound. If you think of a cut on your arm. Now, imagine that you are constantly pulling on the edges of that cut and squeezing it at the same time, and rubbing poop into it every day, several times a day. Not very conducive conditions to healing.
There is also a natural closing of the sphincter muscle that occurs following a BM that happens whether you have a fissure or not. This response is exaggerated after you have diarrhea. So, the fact that you feel the sphincter is tighter after a BM isn't all that abnormal, but in the presence of a fissure it's going to be pretty painful, especially because the muscle is likely to "overshoot" the forcefulness of this closing because of the presence of a fissure.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby crimeofpassion » 27 Jun 2013, 10:01

Ouch, 2 fingers?!
I had LIS back in, oh, I think it was 2009? My first fissure began in 2008, I think. I had a really hard time with it and lots of burning pain from the incision site, and a CRS I saw for a second opinion said my muscle tone hadn’t seemed to greatly improve. It took a long time for me to bounce back from surgery. However, my fissure did heal. But I’ve heard that the muscles can tighten back up again a few years after LIS…
It makes me worry that even if I do manage to heal this time around (again, I’m on week 5 now, week 2 of the Rectiv use), I’ll be at a constant high risk of retearing because my muscle tone still isn’t ideal. It’s not horrific – I can usually apply some Rectiv internally with my pinky finger, and some people describe being so tight they can’t pass gas, which has never been the case with me.
But on the other hand, surgery will lead to more scar tissue.
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist