Craziest thoeries for why AF won't heal

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Craziest thoeries for why AF won't heal

Postby thisunpleasant » 31 May 2013, 13:36

Does anyone else have crazy theories about why their AF won't heal? I'm over a year into mine and I've tried everything - radical diet changes, Diltiazem, Botox, Nifedipine...and it's still here. I went out of the country for a month and to my great surprise my pain levels were MUCH reduced. I walked more and (possibly) drank more water, but I'm still baffled by how much better I felt. I can't believe that it was because I was "distracted" by being in a new environment. And during the trip there were bad days here and there when the pain and blood returned temporarily.
Now I am back in NYC and things have almost instantly become worse again.
SO - I'm trying to figure out why.
One of my craziest current theories is that it's environment-related. As in, there's something wrong with my apartment, or New YOrk city,...or maybe it's because I live in a high rise and I'm on the top floor...! Or maybe it's Wifi related??
Anyways, wish I could experiment with a change in environment again but unfortunately do not have that luxury...
thisunpleasant
Fibre Addict

Topics: 15

Re: Craziest thoeries for why AF won't heal

Postby JHH » 31 May 2013, 13:47

Likely you are just more stressed at home.
- Fissure developed in Jan '13
- Started rectogesic in Feb '13 and diltiazem Apr '13.
- Got botox Jun '13
- Healed by Okt '13, although I still had some irritation for about a year.
- New fissure April '22, healed June 2022
- New fissure 24. December 2023
JHH

Topics: 16

Postby galamat » 31 May 2013, 14:39

lol WIFI related :D so funny.
Like you I have the same theory, for me is totally a brain state, because when I'm distracted I don't even remember the spasm. Is so annoying, try to relax. And don't think to much about it.
galamat
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby snowdog » 01 Jun 2013, 13:20

Stress/anxiety. Not in 100% of cases for sure, but I'm putting my money on a LOT of fissures caused by tightness back there due to anxiety and stress issues.
snowdog
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Luka » 01 Jun 2013, 14:21

Totally agree about stress being a factor in failing to heal or slow healing. Constipation did not cause my fissure (I hardly ever had constipation issues before developing it) and my diet was honestly fine. But I have a lot of anxiety issues and tend to be a real worrywart (especially when I'm PMSing). Stress just makes everything worse, making you tighter down there and making your immune system weaker. Even with anti-depressants, I have a hard time controlling my anxiety. I think controlling my stress levels has been the hardest part of all of this for me.
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Postby Ever the Optimist » 01 Jun 2013, 16:51

Totally agree with Luka! and all the other stress-related post here....
In my opinion, being in your own surroundings (i.e. your own home, particularly your own bathroom!!) just constantly seems to trigger both conscious & subconscious fears/ stress about what you've previously experienced in that very environment. ...
Take yourself away from it completely and you feel SO much better! I've just spent 3 days away from home and felt fab, the minute I come back and head for that bathroom, my focus immediately jumps back to my bum!! :D
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby sufferer » 01 Jun 2013, 23:12

Yes! totally agree...stress it is! and the more you try to calm yourself and let go of the stress the more stressful it is. crazy situation. I'm 100% sure mine is stress related. I have new fissures now :( so I worked hard to heal the old one and a new one comes up. Now this adds to the frustration and here comes stress all over again....so tired of it all...
sufferer
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby Mrs B » 02 Jun 2013, 04:24

I wonder if this could be a valid theory; I have been on Diliatazem cream for nearly 8 weeks and things did improve until about a week ago when the pain and blood suddenly returned. I am in the middle of trying to move house and everyone knows how stressful that is! I wonder if this could be connected?
Mrs B

Postby Ever the Optimist » 02 Jun 2013, 04:48

Mrs B,
I would have to say this is absolutely related!
My fissure started a few weeks after a house relocation for me. I wouldn't say it directly caused the fissure itself but almost certainly created a lot of the stress that contributed!!
Physically, I was bending and twisting a LOT whilst packing and unpacking (which may have been a very minor factor) but the mental stress that went with move was huge, plus finding a new job, sorting a school for my daughter and so on....My diet was reliant on more convenience and fast foods because we didn't have the facilities to cook for a short while and the stress on my digestive system therefore overloaded, resulting in more irregular and probably harder BMs, hence fissure arrival!....Jus try to take it as easy as you can in the middle of your house move, be sure to continue drinking a lot and don't neglect your diet with fast foods like I did! Diltiziam REALLY helped me, so don't give up on it just yet, even if you are advised to keep using it for longer. All the very best to you with healing your fissure and settling in to your new home.......
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Mrs B » 02 Jun 2013, 04:52

Thank you Ever! I probably have taken my eye off things a bit; I was taking magnesium as well and I have forgotten to to do that for a while as well. I do think stress must play a part in the healing process; if your body is tensed up because of haring about from work, family etc it can't help things.
Mrs B