how long does a fissure take to heal

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

how long does a fissure take to heal

Postby fissurevshems » 08 Jun 2013, 20:09

I have been treating what is supposedly an anal fissure now for about 5-6 weeks. I have had rectal problems for about 2 years now. Initially the CRS felt it was hemorrhoids but after a THD didnt relieve my symptoms I went to another CRS. He said that internal hems dont cause pain;just bleeding. He found a fissure and told me to apply Hydrocort and Diltiazem internally to the 2nd knuckle. I have been very consistently doing this for 5 weeks. Additionally I have been using miralax and colace. Metamucil made it worse so that was discontinued immediately.
Since the treatment I have been having some really good days, almost pain free. Other days are not so good. On those days I can feel a mild pulsing like a heart beat in my rectum and constant pressure.
My questions are...
1)how long does it take for this to heal?
2)When should I consider alternative treatment strategies?
fissurevshems
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Re: how long does a fissure take to heal

Postby Ever the Optimist » 09 Jun 2013, 02:19

Hiya,
This is really difficult to answer because we all heal at different rates and at different lengths I'm afraid!....
The sooner the treatment starts and the earlier the fissure diagnosed, the better the chances of starting the recovery process and dealing with the fissure whilst it's still in its early days. The longer left and depending on the size/ location etc. of the fissure, the greater the chances of it becoming chronic (after 6 - 8 weeks) but even then, there they can still heal naturally without surgery. It so depends on the individual.
You actually sound like you are making excellent recovery with the amount of almost painfree days you are having but it sounds also like you are still suffering a few spasms, which would still be normal as your fissure sounds like it is still healing and not yet completely healed. I personally reached a stage like this after using the Diltiziam cream for a few weeks too with the internal pressure going on that you describe. This lasted only a few weeks and after that I went on to reach complete healing, so this is still normal. I used Diltiziam for 7 weeks and after that yes, it took a few months longer to fully heal but week by week, the fissure got better & better, the pressure (spasms) totally disappeared along with the discomfort.
I think only your CRS can guide you with respect to as and when you should start considering an alternative healing strategy. Since you are largely doing so well, I suspect they would prescribe you another round of the cream or possibly botox if anything. LIS is the final procedure they would advise. It's important to follow through the check-ups with a fissure because only a CRS will be able to confirm exactly how well you are healing and how close to full healing you are and what you should be doing in terms of helping it heal.
All the very best to you and hope to hear you heal soon!!
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again