Depression and AF

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Depression and AF

Postby Luka » 11 Jun 2013, 14:23

I can also relate to depression and what others have said so far. I've struggled with depression and anxiety (panic attacks) for years (ever since middle school) and, even though I'm taking Prozac, I still struggle with it. Don't get me wrong, as Prozac has helped me tremendously over the years; it just doesn't solve everything. It mainly just takes the edge off.
This fissure has brought back a lot of depression for me. Even though I'm currently healing and doing much better than I was a few months back, I get very depressed and anxious. I'm constantly worrying if the fissure will re-open and come back. It scares the heck out of me. I'm constantly worrying about what I eat and how my BMs will be. I worry if I will someday need surgery, which terrifies me. I'm tired of living in fear. It's very exhausting. : (
So just know that you are not alone. What helps me is getting my mind off of it (I do this by enjoying my various hobbies, including photography and video gaming). I also try to go out with friends as much as I can (as long as I'm feeling up to it) and take day-trips in the area. Sitting around the house all day, every day just makes me worse and causes me to ruminate on things. If I'm having a really bad (painful) day, I will stay home and try to relax. Talking to someone you trust (for me, it's my mom) also helps a lot. There will be days where I cry a lot, too, especially if I'm having more pain than usual. It helps to let it all out sometimes. Otherwise, it just festers inside you.
Have faith in your body and know that you are healing. This, too, shall pass. That's what I keep telling myself every day. One day at a time. You are healing.
Best wishes to you. : )
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Postby owmybum » 12 Jun 2013, 02:32

LUKA,
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby afpain123 » 12 Jun 2013, 11:01

Thanks All !! I feel coming to this board is like therapy(listening to success stories and sharing our pain)
afpain123
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby Luka » 12 Jun 2013, 14:36

Thank you, owmybum. : ) I know your surgery is coming up this week. I will be thinking of you and wishing you the very best in getting better. Image
I wish everyone the best in getting over this horrible condition.
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Postby Please go-away! » 15 Jun 2013, 17:01

You are all the greatest so much support:D. My sister recommended an anti-depressant.  I will talk to my doc about it..I was at my wits end when I recently got so plugged up,  and painfully couldn't go.
Take care, I luv you all.
:D:cheers:ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Fissure fighter
Please go-away!
King Fissure

Topics: 15

Postby torninhell » 17 Jun 2013, 01:16

This is what I'm feeling right now. I'm torn between depression and anxiety and all I want to do is sleep. The bad thing is I've always been such a cheerful person that never let anything get them down... but this pain is really getting to me and I'm having trouble staying positive.
I'm glad other people can relate and have coped with the situation. It gives me a little hope that I'll be able to deal with it too. I am at my wit's end and I can't afford a visit to a psychiatrist. And even if I did my dad would probably tell me not to bother as he doesn't believe in such a thing.
I'll try all the advice you guys gave in this thread. Thank you.
To the OP, I hope you are able to deal with your depression.
torninhell
Salt Bather

Topics: 5