Family history

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Family history

Postby Deleted User 2543 » 15 Jun 2013, 10:36

Just wondering do any of you have family members that suffer from anal fissures & the problems  they create.
 In my family my father had anal fissure & polyps lots of them removed & cured with one round of Botox. 
My brother has anal fissure & tags 1 round of Botox, waiting on LIS & tag removal. 
Also 2 other brothers in early stages of bleeding & pain won't go get it checked out. 
Myself anal fissure, hemmies, polyp & tags all gone now. 2 rounds of Botox, hemmies injected, polyp removed & now just over LIS, fussurectomy & tag removal. 
Seems strange that so many of us in one family suffer the same problems!!!!  Any thoughts?
Deleted User 2543

Re: Family history

Postby Luka » 15 Jun 2013, 10:55

Hi Edel,
Nope, nobody in my family has ever had a fissure... at least, to my knowledge. It's a very private thing, so maybe they just don't talk about it, but I highly doubt it since my family is very close. My mom has/had hemorrhoids, but that's about it.
Personally, I think my fissure(s) stem from stress. I am a VERY stressed out person and it's something I've struggled with all my life. I rarely get constipation, so that wasn't the cause in my case. I'm just naturally tight down there, I guess, and always flare up when I'm under a huge amount of stress. *sigh* Still praying I can heal this naturally and not have to go the surgery route, which scares me to death.
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Postby crimeofpassion » 15 Jun 2013, 10:58

I'm sure you're aware of this, but surgery goes very smoothly for most people. If you're very tight, it may be necessary, since you could just keep retearing.
I had LIS once, may need to do it again since my surgeon was pretty conservative I guess, and now I've had a retear (but its been about 2 years since my LIS, I think). My situation isn't the norm, though.
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 16

Postby Luka » 15 Jun 2013, 11:03

crimeofpassion: I realize that, but unfortunately I cannot afford surgery at the moment, even if I wanted to do it. I am currently unemployed and don't have health insurance and can't even afford another appointment with a CRS (which would cost me $500+). So, pretty much, I'm screwed at the moment. : ( All I can do is keep using the Diltiazem ointment I was prescribed and hope for the best. The pain has gone down dramatically since I first developed this in late December, but it is worse some days and better others.
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Postby Please go-away! » 15 Jun 2013, 14:04

Edel that's a great topic,  Yes in fact, I'm the youngest of four.  My brother is the oldest, being in his middle sixties now, the doctors discovered he had Crohns and IBS in his early 20's, My middle sister, diverticulitis, Crohns, hemies  with anal nerve damage leading to fissures.
I have Diverticulitis, with hemies and a related fissure.
I guess  its all in the family..lol
Fissure fighter
Please go-away!
King Fissure

Topics: 15

Postby Guest » 15 Jun 2013, 15:27

Well, not fissures.  My mother has bleeding hemorrhoids (just recently my husband experienced it too) and every time I talked about my gruesome/ painful episodes, she would look at me, like I am making it all up or exaggerating.  She would say, I am bleeding and you are not.  Now whose experience do you think sounds worse?  Then I would think... maybe, I am a real chicken when it comes to enduring pain.  However, Thanks to aunt Google.  It became very clear how worse a fissure feels like and what's the reason to own one.
I think it's impatience ! or should I say "obsessive compulsive disorder".  Well, impatience would be the right word. 
And for some reason, it gets worse as you get older.

Postby Ever the Optimist » 15 Jun 2013, 16:16

Interesting one!......
No, to the best of my knowledge (and as Luka points out) - perhaps because no-one really discusses these things! 
I am the first with a chronic fissure.
My mum is pretty open though and she confesses to have had dealing with piles now & again (brought on she thinks by 3 natural childbirths) and my oldest brother has an internal pile, which prolapses about once a year and scares the hell out of him, until it finally pops back in again!!.........We don't have any cases of any gastro-issues either.
On saying that I do have a second cousin, who had LIS to resolve his fissure. He's a commercial airline pilot, so guess it was a pretty major thing for him to resolve quickly but he's pretty much back to normal now!! :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby marg6043 » 15 Jun 2013, 16:22

Edel94, interestingly it wasn't until I got my big flare up last year that I decided to tell my mother about my fissure and she told me that she had the same problem for years.
Now my daughter also have some problems once in a while with her bum but it seems to go away within a few days to a week.
My husband once in a while complains of problems but they also go away in no time.
I imagine that fissures and hems are something that are common this days when our diets and the food choices we get are not as healthy and wholesome as we think.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby owmybum » 17 Jun 2013, 03:03

Yes... My dad suffered terribly from hems and fissures. Not so much now he's older. My brother also gets bad flare ups of hems. I definatly think its hereditary.
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Deleted User 2543 » 17 Jun 2013, 04:43

I definitely think its hereditary too. I know our diets and stress doesn't help but there has to be some connection.
Deleted User 2543