Colonoscopy tomorrow

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Colonoscopy tomorrow

Postby Now66 » 16 Jun 2013, 16:23

I'm scheduled for a colonoscopy tomorrow. Hard to believe it's been 10 years since the last but truly believe I should go through this since developing a fissure late last year.
I'm doing the clean out today meaning nothing to eat since midnight. Also using the doctor recommended cleaner, Prepoooptik. Really vile, nasty stuff. 
Strange to me that the prescribed method for Prepotik is one dose at 5:00 p.m. followed with 5 glasses of water over the next 5 hours. Then repeat starting 5 hours later at 10:00 p.m. Good gosh, if I did that I'd be pooping all night.
My brother, a surgeon who also does colonoscopies, told me I could just as well take the first dose at noon, the second at 5:00 p.m. and hopefully get some regular sleep. Hence, I'm doing that - well sort of. 
I couldn't start until 2:00 p.m. today as they all wanted to eat out at the Olive Garden for Father's Day after church. I told them in no uncertain terms that I was not going to sit there and watch them eat while I nursed a glass of water. I did relent and take them all to Wendy's where I could sip a coffee as they gorged themselves - on my dollar!
The Prepoptik does work - sort of like gastric munitions. The detonations are hard to predict so I'm staying close by the restroom. Although my fissure has continued to heal, I suspect I'm going to be sore by the time this is over.
Now66
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Re: Colonoscopy tomorrow

Postby marg6043 » 16 Jun 2013, 19:10

Now66, colonoscopies are not fun that is for sure, also if you have a healing fissure this can make it a bit sore so you seem to know what to do and are prepare for what will come next.
Perhaps during the colonoscopy the doctor can take a look at the fissure and see how is doing.
It took a year after my last colonoscopy  to have the doctor do an internal exam after I developed a fissure because the area was so bad I could not let nobody near it.
So I hope everything works well for you, you are lucky to have a surgeon as a brother.:D
I Wish you the best.
ImageImage
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby Guest » 16 Jun 2013, 19:12

Wish you ALL THE VERY BEST !  Yeah i know that feeling when normal food is prohibited.

Postby Deleted User 2651 » 16 Jun 2013, 20:12

Hi NOW66,
Just wanted to wish you a minimal pain experience and the best of healing! Good Luck!
Deleted User 2651

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 16 Jun 2013, 21:34

Good luck tomorrow!
I recently had a colonoscopy and I asked the nurse to use TONS of lube during the procedure, and she did. I wasn't sore at all afterwards!
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby owmybum » 17 Jun 2013, 02:56

Good luck for today!
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Now66 » 17 Jun 2013, 16:15

Finished the colonoscopy early today with an excellent report. Doc says my fissure is healed but have a few minor hemorrhoids. (Actually I'm told we all have hemorrhoids. The problem is enlarged hemorrhoids.)
The preparation was another issue and I would like to warn any of you who need this.
I took the last packet of Prepoptik at 7:00 p.m. followed with 4 full glasses of water by 9:00 p.m. I really didn't have a great deal of activity after that and thought I was essentially done when I went to bed at 10:30 p.m.

Wellllllllll, come around 11:30 p.m. I awoke to violent rumblings, dashed for the bathroom, and made it - only through the door before the nuclear detonation. Oh my gaaaaaawd. 
Apparently I caught the door but missed the light switch as next thing I remember I was laying on the bathroom tile, in the total dark, in the muck, with my wife calling through the bathroom door.
Seemed like it took forever before I could sit up on the stool while my long suffering wife cleaned up the floor. (I'm gonna owe for this.) It was even longer before I could stand up long enough for a shower.
Once cleaned up and back to bed, I slept fine though the wife swears my thinking was none too good.
Once in for the colonoscopy, I related this to the nurses thinking I had a terrible reaction to the Prepoptik. To me they seemed a bit cavalier about the whole thing and simply said I'd gotten dehydrated which upset my electrolyte balance.Well whoo hooo. Wish they'd been laying in that crap.
The doc appeared to be a bit more concerned and ask if I'd hit anything on the way down - as though I'd have known.
Looks to me like they should have warned me about this possibility. Also believe I'll forgo the Prepoptik - if there's a next time.
Also believe I'll start in the morning and camp out IN THE BATHROOM should I do this again.
Now66
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Please go-away! » 17 Jun 2013, 16:31

Prepoooptik.  Image..they sure have funny names, mine was called movi-prep.(to get it moving)
Ya Now66, I had to split my doses in half,  my final does at 9:00p.m..went to bed late.
Now 66 you are so funny.omg, you almost got me pissing in my pants, Now if I could only just poo..lol, Hay what area do you live in, I,m from Ontario Canada, 51 year old female, does your brother the doctor live here.Image
(" To me they seemed a bit cavalier about the whole thing and simply said I'd gotten dehydrated which upset my electrolyte balance.Well whoo hooo. Wish they'd been laying in that crap."especially that sentence )
Glad it went well..You should be a comedian, Just what this forum needs..we all need to lift our sprits and laugh..its the best medicine.Image
Last edited by Please go-away! on 17 Jun 2013, 16:38, edited 2 times in total.
Fissure fighter
Please go-away!
King Fissure

Postby Now66 » 17 Jun 2013, 16:37

Please go-away: Surgeon brother, who does anal repairs and colonoscopies, lives in Fond du Lac, WI.
Same brother, who is scheduled for a colonoscopy next month, says he has a lifetime supply of Fleet’s phosphasoda prep which he intends to use. He claims it is more gentle but taken off the market because it destroyed kidneys in a few people.
I used the pill method for clean out 10 years ago but that has been banned for the same reason. Too bad. It was violent but manageable.
Last edited by Now66 on 17 Jun 2013, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.
Now66
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Please go-away! » 17 Jun 2013, 16:40

Ahh..  poo  poo lucky you. Take care and keep that humor rolling..just luv it.Image
Fissure fighter
Please go-away!
King Fissure