............routine to avoid re-tears

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

............routine to avoid re-tears

Postby Guest » 28 Jun 2013, 13:17

It breaks my heart to hear of the many re-tears here...
I recently saw a post here stating that we should set certain routines and or journals of our AF progress and that this will help us in the long run. I could not agree more as I got to know my arse over the years on a one-on-one basis. I almost want to say we became buddies minus of course his "friends".
Anyway, with me being dirt poor and no Dr. to go to I had to really know whats going on down there. Thats when I decided I had to see for myself what the hell an AF looks like. Kinda awkward but a mirror between the legs worked for me. I was lucky that most of my AFs were right there near the end of the anus.
Also perhaps I am fortunate to have a few foods that act as my miralax, if you will. Milk of mag-guernsey (aka cows milk), mixed pure fruit juices are a couple of things I can always count on to keep me nice and soft. I only wish more of us can find our natuaral lax's.
Also in the shower every day I can tell the status of my AF or anus with a quick finger probe. Whenever I was on the verge of getting another AF I would always feel a little irritation as if the skin was weakening and thinning. That allowed me to take positive measures to avert re-tears or new tears.
Those first several years of battling AFs I was not aware of the benefits of vaseline, proper diet, exercise and baths to alleviate symptoms. Thankfully my skin tags never were too large and also I did not suffer from other ailments like IBS, Crohns or the like.
Looking back, I think I could have done what it took me 20 years to do, in only a few (if that!!) if I knew what I know now and if I had the discipline to avoid the foods that offended me.
I just wonder what % of us here, can become %100 again like me, without surgery. So please, stay the course people, keep up a good fight. I am in no way free from ever getting another fissure as I well remember a post here of a person who after 14 years had another AF. But I do feel right now that If I keep this same routine up, that I may very well avoid anymore of those dreaded "piranhas".
Please do find a routine of your liking, please try and find what makes you constipated vs regular and I believe that you too can one day soon become fissure free. Accent the positive and eliminate the negative and please don't mess with Mr. in-between.
(ok I digressed a little bit)
P.S. sticktoitiveness
HTH and GL

Re: ............routine to avoid re-tears

Postby Guest » 28 Jun 2013, 13:36

finger probe? I can hardly get a something small as a needle in there.

Postby Guest » 28 Jun 2013, 13:58

I hear you splinterboy2013:
This finger approach is not for everyone. Please do find what works best for you. Some do not like sticking anything up in there and thats a fine approach. Theres a routine for everyone, if we just knew where to look. alas
hth

Postby Guest » 28 Jun 2013, 14:08

how did you emotionally survive with this for that many years is amazing. I salute you mr buttastic, your fantastic...get it...i can make rhymes.hehe

Postby Ever the Optimist » 28 Jun 2013, 14:20

Love it Butt!
Spot on........& brilliant for doing so well for so long.
I finally healed without surgery, now in the same boat as you and hoping with some major changes to my diet, lifestyle and toilet habits that I will also remain this way!
Here's to "Sticktoitiveness"!!!! :) 
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Guest » 28 Jun 2013, 14:22

I get it Image :
I still look back and ask myself that same question. I do remember though that with each new AF that I became more determined than the last time not get these anymore.
I would always ask myself, now what did I do this time. I think in all, each of my AF battles just made me stronger as I am a firm believer in the phrase....If it dosent kill you....lalala.
thanks for your kind words
hth
Last edited by Guest on 28 Jun 2013, 14:24, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Guest » 28 Jun 2013, 14:23

hey butt one more thing...how long did yours last? what was average healing time? I mean did your ever go chronic and healed them?

Postby Ever the Optimist » 28 Jun 2013, 14:26

Splinter,
Mine was chronic and healed at 1 year & 5 months after first being diagnosed with it.........
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Guest » 28 Jun 2013, 14:37

Sure did go chronic splinterboy2013;
I pretty much ran the gamut over the years so far as healing times went. As you may know, the first ones are easy to deal with. But they turn chronic just like mine did over time and re-tears.
At my worst times I had the all night burning and occasional spasm. These AFs would not heal it seemed for close to a month before all discomfort, bloody stools,
etc would dissappear.
All in all over the years I would say on average it took a good three weeks for all burning, blood and spasm to disappear.
But then 3 days, weeks or months later (usually months) another re-tear or new tear. Those were the days.......yikes.
But if you mean chronic so far as to turning into a fistula or abscess, thankfully no, it never got that bad for me. And my AFs were always positioned where LIS was not necessary.
hth
Last edited by Guest on 28 Jun 2013, 14:40, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Guest » 28 Jun 2013, 14:39

ETO & Butt you guys are an insipration, gives me hope to keep fighting these fissures and delay surgery.thanks guys