Size of fissure restricting the use of rectogesic?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Size of fissure restricting the use of rectogesic?

Postby Hak » 10 Jul 2013, 06:00

Hello all, my first post around here.
In early April I had a hemorrhoidectomy (I was covered by insurance and surgery on a private hospital in Norway) and after that I was pretty constipated a couple of times and teared one of the stitches.
The surgeon said there was nothing to do about it, and that I should just give it time.
And he wouldn't advise rectogesic because of the EXTREME HEADACHE and that it wouldn't do any good considering the fissure was so big.
I visited again in the start of June, and he just said he wouldn't advise it.
Now there's been a month, and my regular doctor have gotten me a prescription for rectogesic, and he thinks it would work well, but as he said, he have no real experience with fissures.
I still bleed and have pains after BM, but there's no blood dripping into the bowl, and my bms are all pretty smooth, I nearly don't have any need to push except to get it moving a little.
What do you think?
Would rectogesic save my ass? I'm really fed up with all of this, and even if it costs over a $100 for me I'm willing to do it, because there's a complete hassle to find a toilet equipped with a sink so I can wash instead of using the dry sanding paper here at work.
I'm really looking forward to your answers.
Hak
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Size of fissure restricting the use of rectogesic?

Postby Guest » 10 Jul 2013, 07:36

I don't understand why the doctor did not take care of the fissure while he was performing a Hemorrhoidectomy.  It would have been so much easier and pain-free.  Or is it that one cannot perform both operations together?  
Just for information, I would like to mention here that any cream that works for Hemorrhoid does not work for fissures and vice-versa.  Found that out recently through Wikipedia.  So maybe before the surgery, anything that you applied to help the hemorrhoids, was actually aggravating the fissure and that may have been the number one reason for the fissure to become chronic.
Well anyway, since you had a hemorrhoidectomy, the focus can now be diverted to treating fissures and thus, you may go ahead and apply Rectogesic.  It helps in relaxing your sphincter muscles.  In the US, if one is allergic to Nitro, then the prescription gets changed to Diltiazem.  So, may be you could look into that as well.
To answer your main question (size of fissure restricting....???), I would say that since Rectogesic is a cream used for the purpose of relaxing your sphincter muscles, it is a remedy and not a direct treatment.  It may therefore take a while to completely heal.  You will need to be super patient and super careful with the diet, given that your fissure is big :(
Hang in there... coz even though it all seems a bit tough right now,  I know for sure that your recovery from fissure is inevitable, no matter what !  Patience will help you to endure it better.  TC.

Postby Guest » 10 Jul 2013, 10:55

Hi Hak
From what I have heard and read the Rectogesic helps by bringing blood to the fissure area, thereby promoting healing. It also helps by lessening your spasms which for many people if their spasms do not stop, then their fissure will not heal properly or at all.
Its the tug of the spasms that stop a fissure from healing. So its important to know if in fact you are in that situation-(if fissure is located in a position where spasms prevent healing). A second opinion from a qualified Colon Rectal Surgeon will help you make the right decision on using the Recto.
From your description of your symptoms it sounds like you are not having too much problems with sphincter muscle spasms which is the involuntary tightening of your "butt muscles" right near the anal opening.
Do you experience frequent spasms? Are you seeing a CRS?

Postby blackecho » 10 Jul 2013, 13:49

Hi Hak...
Firstly have to agree with Mab.........any cream for hems is not useful for. fissures...when I first got mine I just grabbed a tube of Anusol and was useless...
my Dr put me onto Retrogesic and I have been using if for about 5 days now. You mentioned "extreme" headache..... because I have the pain threshold of a 3 year old that sorta scared me too...but tried it anyway the first couple of times....gave me a slight headache but easily settled with paracetomal......I lowered the dose a bit and now no headache but some slight light headiness..
the thing is though I do feel like it is working.............If you do get a bad headache ....lower your dose ....but I have to say again I think it is doing the job for me ................
best of luck .........:D 
blackecho
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby Hak » 11 Jul 2013, 00:09

Thank you for your answers.
I did not get any creams after the surgery, and I was explained that the fissure would heal by it self, but apparantley not. And there was a stitch on a removed hemorrhoid that became a fissure, or enlarged it.
I'm going to get a second opinion in the start of August, but meanwhile I think I'll try out Rectogesic.
The thing is that a 2nd opinion would cost me about $500, and right now I don't have that kind of money.
I don't think I don't have any big spasms, but I have a dull pain so I need to take ibuprofen and paracetamol at least after the first BM of the day. (usually only have one).
I think my diet it pretty ok, as I have regular BM sometime between 8-10 o'clock every day, and it's more or less pretty smooth with nearly no need to push.
How long are you supposed to use Rectogesic?
Edit:
Might be a stupid question but here it goes:
I'm going on vacation to Ukraine in mid-August, anybody had troubles with having rectogesic in their luggage?
Was thinking about the possibility for "sniffers" to smell the Nitro.
And in September I'm going to Cape Coral, FL.
Hak
Fibre Addict

Postby blackecho » 11 Jul 2013, 00:32

One thing I have noticed whilst on this forum is the mentioning of how much treatments are costing eg visits to Doctors costing $500. How does that work. I am in Australia and it costs nothing for medical treatment just a small levy at tax time that pays for Medicare. You can have private health insurance which I do for $150 per month which makes private health care so much cheaper. SOrry off topic but was wondering how your health system works.
blackecho
Fibre Addict

Postby Hak » 11 Jul 2013, 00:57

I live here in Norway, govermental paid healthcare and all.
The problem is that things are taking too long, the inquiry from my regular doctor took 3 months to use the gov. health care, but since I had insurance they got me into a private hospital within a week for a rectoscopy and then surgery within another 2 weeks.
The problem is that the surgeon seems to have lost interest in me, and the insurance company is not very willing to hear me out. But I've already made clear that I want another check up in August, but they're not paying for me going to another doctor right now, and if I get it through my regular doc I would have to wait for a long time to get the "normal" hospital to check it out.
Hak
Fibre Addict

Postby blackecho » 11 Jul 2013, 02:05

Not sure how long you can use it for .....my Dr wants to see me after two weeks to see how things are going. In regards to travelling with it I think you would just need a letter or script from Dr to show it is for medical use as per any other medications.
Rectogesic Ointment contains 0.2%glyceryl trinitrate in a base of liquid
paraffin, soft yellow paraffin, lanolin and ethanol. It is used for the
treatment and relief of symptoms of anal fissure and to relieve pain and
discomfort and assist in wound healing following haemorrhoid
surgery.
If you suffer anal fissure (which has been diagnosed by your doctor),
Rectogesic is used as a treatment to help reduce the fissure and relieve
the pain and spasm (muscle contraction) associated with this
condition. If you are having haemorrhoidsurgery, Rectogesic will relieve your
pain and discomfort and assist in wound healing.
Because Rectogesic contains glyceryl trinitrate it must be used strictly as
directed. A 1cm to 1.5cm strip of ointment (see measurement indicated on box and tube) should be inserted into the anal canal with your finger.
You should ensure that you have a period of 12 hours each day where you do not use Rectogesic. This is necessary to avoid tolerance (that is to maintain the full effect of the medication). For example, you could use the ointment at 8am, 2pm and 8pm - this would give you a full 12hours from 8pm to 8am without the
medicine.
Headache is a common side effect experienced with Rectogesic. These
are usually mild and occur after the first few applications only, due to
intolerance to the Rectogesic. The headache may be relieved with a
simple analgesic, such as paracetamol.
Hope this helps a bit with knowing more about Rectogesic ....
blackecho
Fibre Addict

Postby Hak » 11 Jul 2013, 04:24

Great, thanks for the advice. :)
I'm also wondering, I had a case of diarrhea today, and does that give a major set back and keeps the fissure "open" longer?
This happens from time to time (maybe every 3 weeks), could be some bad food in the cantina at work or something else.
I noticed that I was bleeding signicantly more now, than earlier today, but could that also be because of the earlier BM I had?
Hak
Fibre Addict

Postby blackecho » 11 Jul 2013, 04:47

Not sure about the bleeding part of all this.... I only bled on the time I remember when I got the fissure....really painful BM and some bright red blood....other than that I haven't had any bleeding at all....pretty sure though I have read on the forum somewhere that diarrhea can be bad for the fissure...but someone more knowledgeable might be able to help ya ..................
blackecho
Fibre Addict