From Movicol to Magnesium?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

From Movicol to Magnesium?

Postby ukguy » 20 Jul 2013, 13:36

I find if I strictly stay on Movicol it generally keeps me the right side of Ok, with the occasional wobble here and there, but I really worry about the long term effects of taking Movicol for the rest of my life. Yes its better than the AF, but I have read so much about Magnesium working for many people and it feels much safer/natural?
Has anyone ever transitioned from Movicol to Magnesium? I only take 1 Movicol sachet a day (1/2 am, 1/2 pm) but want to switch to Magnesium supplements. Anyone else done this with or without success?
ukguy
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Re: From Movicol to Magnesium?

Postby Guest » 20 Jul 2013, 21:01

Yes I agree.  Magnesium is an excellent substitute for any stool softeners out there.  In my case, the transition from Miralax to Magnesium was gradual.  I took a supplement of 250 mg with the main ingredient listed as Magnesium Oxide, once a day before going to bed.  I think in your case, it would be easy if you continue taking your AM Movicol sachet and substitute your PM dose with Magnesium.
I had hard time choosing the right form of Magnesium.  I learnt that selecting Magnesium in its vitamin form can be very confusing.  So, here's some information that would help you to know the different forms of Magnesium available in the market.  The excerpt is from the following website:
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/12/17/magnesium-benefits.aspx
Magnesium glycinate is a chelated form of magnesium that tends to provide the highest levels of absorption and bioavailability and is typically considered ideal for those who are trying to correct a deficiency
Magnesium chloride / Magnesium lactate contain only 12 percent magnesium, but has better absorption than others, such as magnesium oxide, which contains five times more magnesium
Magnesium carbonate, which has antacid properties,contains 45 percent magnesium
Magnesium citrate is magnesium with citric acid, has laxative properties
Magnesium oxide is a non-chelated type of magnesium, bound to an organic acid or a fatty acid. Contains 60 percent magnesium, and has stool softening properties
Magnesium sulfate / Magnesium hydroxide (milk of magnesia) are typically used as a laxative. Be aware that it's easy to overdose on these, so ONLY take as directed
Magnesium taurate contains a combination of magnesium and taurine, an amino acid. Together, they tend to provide a calming effect on your body and mind
Magnesium threonate is a newer, emerging type of magnesium supplement that appears promising, primarily due to its superior ability to penetrate the mitochondrial membrane, and may be the best magnesium supplement on the market
Good Luck !

Postby ukguy » 21 Jul 2013, 06:33

Thanks mabs for the comprehensive reply. It's certainly confusing which type of Magnesium to take. I have some Oxide tablets that i will continue to use but may switch to Citrate longer term.
I've also done as you suggested and switched my evening Movicol to Magnesium. All good so far (only 1 day so not counting any chickens yet!)
So has Magnesium worked well for you?
ukguy
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby Guest » 21 Jul 2013, 07:23

Yes. I have been on Magnesium and Olive Oil support for quite some time now. Have been doing absolutely great since then... :D 
I am sure you will too ! TC

Postby Please go-away! » 21 Jul 2013, 11:02

Hi Ukguy.
My doctor and Pharmacist recommended Magnesium oxide.
At first I was using Restoralax (in Canada) The hospital told me to use it at the time I was severally plugged up. Now I'm OK, My Gastro, Doctor wanted me to switch to a less habit forming solution. I now take twice a week at nite, 400mg. It work's well for me too.
Hay mabs I heard alot about: Magnesium threonate, by penetrating the mitochondrial membrane, it's a great option for people with a sensitive colon, like IBS or crohn's.
Told by a Doctor that it bypasses the colon wall's and goes directly to the problem, something like that.
Theirs another magnesium for colon sensitive issues. I saw it at my health store,( I have IBS) my Nutritionist recommended it, but I didn't pick it up at the time, it's magnesium in a liquid, easier to digest and easier on the colon.
I'm going to look into that, and probably try it.:D 
Take care eh.Image 
Fissure fighter
Please go-away!
King Fissure

Topics: 15

Postby Guest » 21 Jul 2013, 15:51

...Hay mabs I heard alot about: Magnesium threonate, by penetrating the mitochondrial membrane, it's a great option for people with a sensitive colon, like IBS or crohn's....
Yes I agree too.  A life saver for IBS sufferers.  But I haven't found this in the market yet.  Right now, all OTC supplements have Magnesium Oxide.  Also, do you know the name of the one that your nutritionist recommended?  Apart from the good old MOM, the only liquid form that I am aware of, is Magnesium Citrate.
Thanks PGA! TC.

Postby Please go-away! » 21 Jul 2013, 19:39

No it's definitely no the MOM kind, I was told it's a clear liquid in a big white plastic bottle.
 I think my nutrit, (at this health store near me)said it sells out fast, and hard to get it in again. Always back ordered, I can see why.
I will look into it again,sorry I don't know the name.
See if you can find it in a health store near you.  
This is why the liquid is preferred for people with sensitive colons:
Magnesium Liquid is a solution (usually flavoured) that allows about 98% of the elemental magnesium to be absorbed by the body – unlike minerals in tablet or capsule form which are less bio available and need to first be broken down in the digestive tract which can irritate and cause discomfort in the colon/bowels.
Check this site out:
http://www.florahealth.com/product_conditions_usa.cfm?conditions_id=3&prod_id=210
It is not the one I saw, but a friend of mine uses it and I have seen this brand, FLorahealth in many health stores, check yours out. I hope that helps ya.:D
Fissure fighter
Please go-away!
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 21 Jul 2013, 23:35

Hey PGA,
Thanks for the valuable insight.  The Florahealth product seems a good one.  However, $26 for an 8.5 oz bottle in the US is ...  Image .... kind of expensive.
Nah.., haven't come across clear liquid sold in a big white plastic bottle other than rubbing Alcohol  (hahaha).  Just kidding. Please do let me know whenever the name is made available to you.
Blessings!

Postby Please go-away! » 22 Jul 2013, 07:47

Your welcome...:D 
The royal baby watch..Image
Fissure fighter
Please go-away!
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 22 Jul 2013, 18:47

PGA,