Nitro/Rectiv Side Effects - More Than Just a Headache?

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Nitro/Rectiv Side Effects - More Than Just a Headache?

Postby crimeofpassion » 21 Jul 2013, 09:42

I've been using Rectiv two times (sometimes one time) per day since June 13th. So about 45 days. I used nitro ointment in the past, with the side effects mainly being some burning on contact, temporary headaches, and sometimes a fast/pounding heart.
Well, this time around with the Rectiv, I began to notice I felt nervous a lot. I chalked it up to just stress over the fissure (and fear of going to the bathroom), but I noticed that some websites list nervousness/anxiety/stress as possible side effects of nitro, so I began to wonder.
Rewind to last Monday when I began experiencing shortness of breath and a slightly faster heart rate (about 96 beats per minute). I keep having to take really deep breaths/yawn to fill my lungs all the way, and it only feels satisfying once in a while. All these deep breaths have caused some chest pain as well.
I started to wonder if Rectiv was the problem, so I've stopped taking it for the last 2 days. I was wondering, has anyone here experienced symptoms with Rectiv/nitro other than the typical headaches and burning? I know air hunger can be caused by anxiety, but given that I've never experienced this before (even during times of HUGE stress), I'm a little suspicious.
Not to mention, I sort of forgot you're not supposed to take Rectiv for more than 3 weeks. I know some people on the forums said they used it for longer, and it kind of just slipped my mind. When I was on nitro I took it for much longer, so... I just plain forgot. Image
Now, you may ask, "why haven't you called your doctor?!" I might if it doesn't improve soon, but I just feel like 9 times out of 10, they can't help me. For example, the day before Thanksgiving I was prescribed some oral steroids for severe shoulder pain that no one could find the cause for. The day AFTER Thanksgiving, I started passing blood and what looked like mucus/tissue instead of stool. Talk about horrifying! I also had nausea and stomach pain. The doctors seemed totally baffled and couldn't explain it - they said they'd never heard of such a reaction to oral steroids before. But sure enough, when I stopped taking them it slowly went away. So I wanted to give my body a few days to see if there's any improvement before running to the clinic, where I'm sure they'll run tons of expensive testing only to tell me everything's normal and they don't know what's happening. Maybe, if I'm lucky, they'll throw some pills at me before kicking me out the door. :roll: 
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 16

Re: Nitro/Rectiv Side Effects - More Than Just a Headache?

Postby Please go-away! » 21 Jul 2013, 20:33

Sorry I can't say that I feel that discomfort, My Gastro, Doctor prescribed me a compound mixed ointment.
Nitroglycerin 0.2%/ Xylocaine 5%.
My doctor warned me that the nitro  because it is for people with heart issues. (my dad had angina and took the little white nitro pill)
Can cause dizziness or headaches, I get non of the above so she told me I can use it as long as I want.
Can you get this compound/ointment in your area, by a pharmacist/druggist or hospital.  Have you had a full cardio check done on the ticker, I don't want to scare you, I have it done every few years because heart issues run in my fathers side of the family.
Luckily I don't have heart issues , just stomach , on my mothers side , oh lucky me ..po poo:roll:   lol
wouldn't that be great if they threw free pills at you to get you out, lol. I'm a dreamer.Image
Fissure fighter
Please go-away!
King Fissure

Topics: 15

Postby JHH » 30 Jul 2013, 10:47

Wow, just found this now. I have been getting this lately too. I also just put it down to stress/nervousness from looking at the toilet each morning.
It usually starts 15-30 minutes after applying nitro, but its not every time for me. Maybe once or twice in a week. It starts with shortness of breath, and then I start feeling shaky. It passes after a few hours for me. Could this really be nitro screwing us up???
- Fissure developed in Jan '13
- Started rectogesic in Feb '13 and diltiazem Apr '13.
- Got botox Jun '13
- Healed by Okt '13, although I still had some irritation for about a year.
- New fissure April '22, healed June 2022
- New fissure 24. December 2023
JHH

Topics: 16

Postby Please go-away! » 30 Jul 2013, 11:25

Yep JHH,
I'm glad the discomfort dissipates for you, I hope you can still use it, if not there are other compounds out there.
I remember those day's back, when my Dad, would ask me to get his tiny Little white nitro pill's, he would then put one under his tongue, if he needed too.
He had Angina, hypertension/heart issues.
It probably is, my Gastro, was concerned , she explained the possible side effect's with the Nitro ointment. Luckily I don't have any side effect,s....and  I have just recently, been applying the ointment on a q-tip wrapped first with half a baby wipe.
I gently insert about a 1/4 way in..wow the pain/discomfort that I felt before has subsided immensely.
I was also told ,at the time when I first purchased the script,(from the Pharmacist) that you mite get a headache or not because sometimes you will miss the sweet spot(she was being discrete)
(it's hard to see down there).
Do speak to your Doctor, if it concern's you, maybe the doze or another ointment will do.
Take care...Image
Fissure fighter
Please go-away!
King Fissure

Postby Now66 » 19 Aug 2013, 11:07

I have experienced only very mild headaches with nitro but it messes with my thinking. Hence, I only use it before bedtime at night.
Now66
Proctosphincteranalogist