Over two weeks after the surgery and I'm still scared...

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Over two weeks after the surgery and I'm still scared...

Postby musik » 04 Aug 2013, 06:56

Hi everyone
I've been suffering with an anal fissure for over two years. Two years ago, I went to see a doctor and he told me I had hemorrhoids. I went on with it, dealing with the pain for another year and a half until January 2013, when the pain got suddenly unbearable.
I went to see a different doctor, who has been great. It turns out that I didn't have hemorrhoids, I actually had a chronic anal fissure. This new doctor treated me with Nifedipine, fiber, and laxatives. I was better with in a week. I had never felt so good, and my fissure was gone.
That is, until early April, when it came back.
I tried treating myself with all of the same tactics taken in January, but the results were very neither here nor there. I suffered for another few months, thinking there was nothing I could do besides just continuing to try what worked back in January. I did not want the surgery. But in late June, like in January, the pain got unbearable. I couldn't walk. I couldn't sit. Lying down hurt. Everything was horrible.
So in early July, I scheduled an LIS and fissurectomy with my doctor. I had the procedure on July 18th, 2013.
I felt immediate relief after the surgery. I was astounded and so happy. I was just a little sore, and the bleeding during bowel movements stopped just two days after surgery! I stayed in bed for several days, and within five days after the surgery, I was up and about. I went to work, I had barely any pain, just some soreness here and there.
But a week after the surgery, suddenly, after every bowel movement I was in excruciating pain. It was a similar feeling as before the surgery. But no blood. I was stuck in bed from last Thursday to Monday.
I made an appointment to see my doctor, and saw him on Monday, which is the day that I started to feel much better (no pain after BM). He told me that everything was healing up excellently and that I shouldn't worry.
So this week has been great. Barely any pain. I've been taking it easy, no exercise or anything serious. Slow walking. No bleeding in two weeks.
Until this morning. I just had a bowel movement, and it was a little harder than usual. There was blood.
I'm currently breaking down because, after two years, I have nothing left in me to go through this anymore. I don't understand why I'm having blood, for the first time in over two weeks after the operation. Is my fissure coming back? Did I screw something up? Is this normal?
I'm so scared. I don't want to be in pain anymore and I want to have my life back.
musik

Topics: 1

Re: Over two weeks after the surgery and I'm still scared...

Postby PIA » 04 Aug 2013, 08:18

Hi, I know it feels like a setback but it does sound as if you are improving. You have had a chronic fissure and the surgery area will still be fragile. You certainly didn't screw anything up. Whilst I haven't had surgery my fiissure is healing and somedays there are setbacks. Some blood after a hard stool is to be expected. Imagine if you had fallen over and grazed your knee. A scab would form and continues to form for a long time while you continue to heal. Just keep all the good things going, diet, water, exercise, hygiene and a hopeful outlook. If I have a hard BM I add some coconut oil to my diet. The healing process can be frustrating I know but just take a quick think back those days when your fissure was at it's worse. Now you have an arsenal of tools to help you back on track. Image Image Image Image Image 
PIA
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby musik » 04 Aug 2013, 08:22

PIA wrote:Hi, I know it feels like a setback but it does sound as if you are improving. You have had a chronic fissure and the surgery area will still be fragile. You certainly didn't screw anything up. Whilst I haven't had surgery my fiissure is healing and somedays there are setbacks. Some blood after a hard stool is to be expected. Imagine if you had fallen over and grazed your knee. A scab would form and continues to form for a long time while you continue to heal. Just keep all the good things going, diet, water, exercise, hygiene and a hopeful outlook. If I have a hard BM I add some coconut oil to my diet. The healing process can be frustrating I know but just take a quick think back those days when your fissure was at it's worse. Now you have an arsenal of tools to help you back on track. Image Image Image Image Image 

Wow, thank you. That definitely makes me feel good. Also, almost two hours have passed since my bowel movement and I haven't really had any pain, which is good, of course.
I'm doubling down today on stool softens, fiber, water and coconut oil so that tomorrow's bowel movement should be easier.
Thank you for your reply. :)
musik

Postby WelshDoubleFissure » 04 Aug 2013, 09:10

Hi Musik, well done on taking the leap to getting surgery, 2 years is definitely way too long to deal with a fissure. It's classed as a chronic fissure if it doesn't heal after 8 weeks. I had 4years before I had surgery. 2years of self treating Hemmies as I had no idea what the pain was.
I had a double fissurectomy and Botox back in June, I'm 7 weeks post surgery now. It took about 25 days for me to not have any blood. I had a bit of blood about a week ago which was horrid and it brought me down off a high. It can take up to 16 weeks to heal but up to a year to feel no pain.
It's a huge chunk of time and effort you have to put in to getting yourself healed, but in the grand scheme of things, it's a short time to be able to live your life without the feeling of pooping razors.
You need to be very strict with your diet and routine at least until the 16week mark. Stool softeners, plenty of water, chew your food rigorously, knowing the difference between how much fibre your body needs for soft stools.
Don't take on more exercise than your body can take. You'll know when it's ready to get back to your usual activities. A long slow walk for me can sometimes cause a sting (and I used to run 5K twice a week pre op).
Keep taking care of yourself and come back here with any queries or concerns you have.
Welsh x
WelshDoubleFissure
VIP

Postby musik » 04 Aug 2013, 10:07

I just had my second bowel movement of the day. It was much softer. Hurt in a burning way during the movement, but there was no blood this time!
I am very happy about that.
Again, thank you for all of your help.
musik

Postby WelshDoubleFissure » 04 Aug 2013, 10:10

The burning is natural at the stage you're at so don't worry, it's just the acidity in your soft stool moving passed the fissure site.
Keep it up and you'll be healed in no time!
Welsh x
WelshDoubleFissure
VIP