Oatbran/Oatmeal

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Oatbran/Oatmeal

Postby Kreaybutt » 20 Aug 2013, 06:45

So for the last few days I've been eating oatbran every morning (a delicious recipe I might add) and every morning my BMs have been ridiculous. Thank god for well healing fissures because these BM's are huge. The only thing I've changed in my diet is the oatbran in the morning. Does bran or oatmeal have this effect on anyone else? If so what about the bran makes BM's so big? I hate finding foods I love then having to give them up. Grrr
Kreaybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 30

Re: Oatbran/Oatmeal

Postby Now66 » 20 Aug 2013, 09:51

Kreaybutt: Before you give up, try sprinkling a tablespoon of ground flax seed into your cooked oatbran right before you eat it. The flax seed shouldn't alter the taste but I find the flax seed makes the stools much slicker and easier to pass - even large ones.
Now66
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Postby Guest » 20 Aug 2013, 13:41

Kreaybutt
Oatbran is considered a good source of both insoluble and soluble fiber, so your huge bm's may be due to the insoluble contents of oat bran combined with other things you've eaten (of that day or even the day before).
Oatbran soluble and insoluble:
http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/much-soluble-fiber-oat-bran-6035.html
It may be all adding up to that your still getting a bit too much insoluble fiber overall which are creating your huge bm's. Its so tricky and challenging to get it right but keep tweaking and you will find the balance.
Keep learning what are the solubles vs insolubles that your consuming.
GL

Postby Kreaybutt » 20 Aug 2013, 18:01

Thank you, both great suggestions!! I rarely pay attention to the type of fiber I take in. Will start right tomorrow :)
Kreaybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Kreaybutt » 01 Sep 2013, 11:59

How do you all eat your oatmeal? Do you buy instant oatmeal or cook it stove top? What do you add to it? instant oatmeal only has 3 grams of fiber, one being soluble. I bought old fashion oats but I don't want bland tasteless oatmeal. lol Do you eat it thick or watery? sorry for the random question. thanks!!
Kreaybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Now66 » 01 Sep 2013, 12:31

Personally, I like rolled oats, not instant, cooked on the stove top. Bring the water to a boil, stir in the oats and raisins, shut off the stove, cover the pot, and go shower/shave. It's pretty thick when I get back to eat. The raisins help a great deal along with a few prunes. A dash of maple flavoring is also good.
I tried steel cut oats but they just take too long to cook and aren't that great - my opinion.
Now66
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Postby owmybum » 01 Sep 2013, 13:36

I have the rolled oats too.
I just put a couple of spoon fuls in a bowl, add enough water to cover by an inch or so then microwave for about 2 - 3 mins.
Sometimes I have grated apple in with it, sometimes I top it with a sliced banana, sometimes just plain old milk and a sprinkle of sugar.
I love my porridge mmmmm
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby boulderguy » 28 Nov 2013, 12:52

1 part rolled oats, 1 part water, 1 part apple juice. Bring water/juice mix to a boil, add oats, cook 5 minutes. Voila! Sweet without adding processed sugar. Add: apple (chopped or whizzed in a food processor), banana, toasted almonds, dry sour cherries, raisins, etc.

I've started adding a tsp of flaxseed (when I can remember to), with no noticeable effect yet.
boulderguy
Fibre Addict