Post Pregnancy and fissures

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Post Pregnancy and fissures

Postby Nicola123 » 05 Sep 2013, 15:15

Hi just wondering if anyones fissures got worse after having a baby. Ive had one for 4 years didn't really have a big problem with it. Then the whole way through my pregnancy it had disappeared but when my baby was 6 weeks old it came back with a vengeance. He is now nearly 6 months and I feel like being pregnant had something to do with it. Any body else experienced this??
Nicola123
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: Post Pregnancy and fissures

Postby Ever the Optimist » 06 Sep 2013, 15:58

Hi Nicola,
Did you have a natural birth or C-section??
Just wondering, if natural, that pushing may have been a trigger for weakening the area that you had been previously suffering from?? If so, then perhaps, the fissure erupted because you simply passed a firmer stool or became a bit constipated at some point after and caused further trauma to the area?
There's also something wonderful about pregnancy because it balances all your hormones and can make you feel mentally & physically great - I do wonder about the hormonal link with a fissure because so many women have flare-ups when they are having their periods or ovulating. This of course doesn't occur during pregnancy...
Childbirth does attribute to fissures in lots of women and I'm pretty sure that it may have had some connection.
That's my thoughts anyway and it's an interesting point you've raised. I hope you are able to enjoy your precious time with your little son and not suffering too much in having to deal with a fissure too :) 
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again