Can the sphincter keep getting worse after LIS..?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Can the sphincter keep getting worse after LIS..?

Postby aimonaali » 18 Sep 2013, 15:14

This might be a weird question but is it possible that in months after LIS the incision site and the damage done to the sphincter somehow get worse? The tone of the muscle is supposed to get better within a year, right? I'm asking because I'm about 10 months post LIS and it feels like my ass is getting worse:( Last weekend I farted and accidentally soiled my pants. I didn't feel the stool at all before it came out. It was quite watery but still... It's not something that happend before LIS or even after it before this. Also I've had a leakage problem where I have to wipe again some time after BM and that only started two months after the surgery.

I just feel like I already have the anus of an old man, and I'm scared of how it will be later in life:/

And of course: the fissure is still there.
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Re: Can the sphincter keep getting worse after LIS..?

Postby owmybum » 18 Sep 2013, 15:23

Can you go back to your CRS who did the LIS on you and get him to look / do some tests to see what is going on in there??

Are you taking any type of stool softener?? If you are, could you possibly be taking too much??

Sorry to hear you had an accident, it may be a case of some physio therapy to tighten things up a bit more back there??

OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby aimonaali » 19 Sep 2013, 07:44

I could. But I don't really want to since last time he retore my fissure. I am very seldom using stool softeners, only when I feel like I need to.

The problem with the inner sphincter is that you can't really exercise it. And that's what they cut when they do LIS. Well maybe it was just that one time and I just have to learn to be more careful whenever I might have an upset stomach.
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Postby dent1 » 23 Sep 2013, 02:19

http://www.bristolsurgery.com/article.a ... eid=100640
this is an article on my surgeons website discussing anal fissures, LIS and post op issues
dent1
Salt Bather

Topics: 4