LIS and fissurectomy this wednesday

LIS and fissurectomy

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS and fissurectomy this wednesday

Postby bumtastic » 25 Sep 2013, 23:18

12:15 AM
Now i am having spasms in the other butt (it is not yet painful but i am worried). Does anyone know if this is normal. I dont want to go through the whole cycle again.
bumtastic
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby bumtastic » 26 Sep 2013, 08:42

Day 2 9:37 AM
I was able to pee at around 12:30 yesterday. Oh Boy what a relief it was. I peed around 3 times after that. No problems so far. As for the spasms it is not really painful yet. Got a call from the surgery center. They asked me to call the doctors office. Spoke to the nurse there. She said that they might stretched the anus a little during the surgery and it might be because of that. She asked me to take Ibuprofen and call them back if it persists for more than 2 days or the spasm worsens. They also said that no BM is expected for the first 48 hours in most cases.
Just had oatmeals, banana and apple juice with colasce and miralax. Waiting for the bowel movement. Not in much pain.
So have not take any pain killers since 12:15 AM yesterday. Will take one if i sense a bowel movement.
bumtastic
Salt Bather

Postby Scientist2516 » 26 Sep 2013, 09:51

Sounds like you are doing fine! Thanks for all the updates.
Today I get to find out if I need surgery, so I really appreciate knowing about your experience.
Keep on taking care of yourself!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby varunnagpal86 » 26 Sep 2013, 12:32

Some of my experiences which I have started penning down here http://bloggerinv.wordpress.com/categor ... full-year/
I had a comfortable surgery. Wish you all happy recovery !
varunnagpal86

Postby bumtastic » 26 Sep 2013, 13:32

Scientist and Varun
Thank you for the encouragement.
2:37 no bm yet. Lots of gas today. I am able to control it to an extent. The first two times i could not. Now i feel i can. Not that I am trying to. Just letting in rip)
No pain yet. The nurse told me not to take the pain medicine unless needed since it can be constipating. She did mention that the pain levels might rise within a couple of days till the swelling goes down. Apparently they put something there on the day of surgery so that it does not pain for a couple of days.
Had Pasta, Apple Sauce and Oranges for lunch with metamucil and colasce
bumtastic
Salt Bather

Postby bumtastic » 27 Sep 2013, 10:12

Day 3: 11:06 AM
Slight pain on the right side where they did hemorrhoidectomy last night. I am beginning to suspect if the occasional spasms on the right are because of that. Took a pain killer.
Still no bowel yet. This is starting to worry me. Will call the docs office and find out if i should do an enema. The amount of fiber that i have had should have defn produced a BM by now. Hard to imagine so much being stuck in there. Lots of gas yesterday. Makes me wonder if i am constipated.
Hade a Banana, Oatmeal and Apple juice for breakfast.
bumtastic
Salt Bather

Postby Deleted User 2950 » 27 Sep 2013, 10:50

Hi bumtastic

Did you take a laxative yet to help you have a bm? Milk of magnesia is a good choice among others as experts say if you do not have a bm every two or three days start taking MOM.

Don't forget, you really have to watch your water intake now too as those pain killers can constipate you.

Sitting in the tub a few times a day especially after a bm can help lesson the spasming too and is recommended.

PDF on LIS aftercare
http://www.umassmemorial.org/File%20Lib ... issure.pdf

GL to you
Deleted User 2950

Postby bumtastic » 28 Sep 2013, 15:21

Day 4 4:11 PM
Thank you buttastic. Had trouble accessing the forum all day yesterday.
Called my doctor office today morning around 9. Spoke to my doctor himself as he was on call. He mentioned that I should try doubling my Miralax dose to twice a day and also drink plenty of water. In case nothing works, he asked me to get fleet enema, empty it and use water as an enema. He asked me to do it with Recticare or some other lidocaine gel as a lubricant since this can hurt and to call him if nothing works.
An hour after my call, i had my first bowel movement without doing any of the above. There was some blood in the stool (maybe from the surgery) but no bruises or fresh blood. Pain was about 3-4/10 for about half hour(more from the hemorrhoidectomy site than the fissurectomy site). Avoided the pain medicine since i felt i could take it. I jumped into the sitz bath immediately after for 20-25 min. Felt much better afterwards. There was quite a bit of stool as one can expect but it was pretty smooth except the initial one. I am glad i followed the instructions to the T. High fiber diet, coalesce and plenty of fluids. Also has some prune juice last night. Also the icky thing that was stuck to my butt since surgery fell off as the doctor had told me. Feeling much better now.
bumtastic
Salt Bather

Postby bumtastic » 28 Sep 2013, 20:33

Day 4 9:28 PM
Had my second bowel movement. Truckload of poop. But feeling much better today. The same routine. Pain 2-3/10. Hit the sitz soon after for about 20 min.
Just had dinner. Usually have half spoon of metamucil 15 min before dinner and lunch. Brown rice, Lentils sauteed with Spinach, Yoplait (Yogurt) and some beets with Colace.
bumtastic
Salt Bather

Postby bumtastic » 29 Sep 2013, 11:01

Day 5 11:54 AM
today is a so so day. Had a little bit of trouble with bowel control. Soiled the gauge quite a bit. It was because the poop was softer that usual. Will see if it continues for the next few days. Hoping it would get better.
No pain from the LIS/Fissurectomy site (Left). But throbbing pain from the hemmies site (Right) for about an hour after bowel movement. Sitz helped again.
Just had breakfast. Oats, bananas and apple juice with Miralax.
Doc has also prescribed ketorolac (Pain reliever) amd metronidazole(Antibiotic) for the first five days- one every eight hours.
bumtastic
Salt Bather