AF versus haemorrhoid treatments

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

AF versus haemorrhoid treatments

Postby east_1234 » 22 Oct 2013, 14:58

I wonder if the treatment for anal fissure and haemorrhoid are counter-effective? For example, rectogesic is a vasodilator that improve blood supply for fissure healing, whereas haemorrhoid is treated with vasoconstrictor such as Preparation H.

My GP has just prescribed PROCTOFOAM, but it doesn’t have a very good review according to users in this forum.. Also, on the sheet it says that it can cause depression (I am already depressed because of this problem).. and also “don’t stop using this medicine without talking to your doctor – you may need to reduce doses gradually”, and that it thins the skin (making it more susceptible to fissure?) etc. It just makes me a little reluctant to use it. but I really need to reduce the swelling soon!
east_1234
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: AF versus haemorrhoid treatments

Postby Scientist2516 » 22 Oct 2013, 16:16

I have wondered the same thing about the vasodilator/vasoconstrictor issue. It does seem as though they would work against each other. I also noticed on some on-line sites that nifedipine (vasodilator) can be prescribed for hemorrhoids. So no answer for you, sorry, but just a note to say you are not alone in wondering about this.

I don't know anything about proctofoam, but it certainly seems to have drawbacks. Can you email your doctor with your questions? Can you ask the pharmacist about the side effects when you pick it up? Some pharmacists are great, others don't seem to know much; hopefully yours is well informed.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby east_1234 » 22 Oct 2013, 16:36

Thanks Scientist2516, when my GP prescribed proctofoam, she said that the main concern now is to relieve the symptoms (reduce the swelling), during which she was flicking through her prescription bible.. So I feel that the people who are most likely to give me reliable (tried and first-hand) answers would be people in this forum! The pharmacy is inside Tesco (a big supermarket), so I don't feel very comfortable asking about side-effect when there are constantly someone queuing up behind me... :oops:
I think I will skip it.. I have made coconut oil suppositories.. it is a bit messy and probably won't shrink the swelling, but at least I know that there won't be side-effect.
east_1234
Fibre Addict

Postby Scientist2516 » 22 Oct 2013, 17:01

Hi east, I wouldn't want to ask in Tesco either. Try Boots? They should help you even if you aren't getting your prescription there. I had to ask a question about what fibre to take for my anal fissure when I was in England this summer, and the pharmacist was very understanding - we stepped aside where no-one could overhear.
I did find coconut oil to sting a bit, so be careful.
Can you use aloe vera?
We need more people to join this discussion because I don't know the answers!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby east_1234 » 23 Oct 2013, 15:07

Unfortunately, either I have overdosed on lactulose (45ml for the whole day) or the salmon has gone off, my tummy has been rumbling and cramping a bit since last night. And I have been having bouts of diarrhoea since this morning:( and I have used up all my coconut oil suppositories.. :P
The coconut oil I used was "cold-pressed virgin coconut oil" (whatever that means..?), it doesn't sting.
The aloe vera gel I got from a health food shop (Holland and Barratts), on the other hand, sting a little. and it dries the skin.
Also, since my AF is internal, aloe vera is just too thin to allow it to be pushed though my very tight canal into the affected region..
yea, I hope more people will join the discussion! very often a post is read many times but no one says anything!
east_1234
Fibre Addict

Postby east_1234 » 23 Oct 2013, 15:09

Even if nobody knows the answer, it is better than getting no reply :verysad:
sometimes we just need a bit of moral support..
east_1234
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 2950 » 23 Oct 2013, 15:36

***Then theres always the phone you may be able to use to call your Dr. or pharmacist.***

Hey east_1234 I just read another post of yours saying perhaps you will never heal
and that you may have to live with your fissure the rest of your life. I don't think
you will have to live this way forever, not really. It seems that way now right? But
it will become much better later.

I use to think the same thing those 20 years battling my fissures. But with enough
perseverance and knowledge I believe most can and will beat their af's. Won't you
please hang tough in your battles.

I agree with you about responding to post and wondered the same thing why many
go unanswered. Perhaps its because more people are in need of answers and moral support
than there are people here willing to give it.

I know at other times here it seems to get busier and responses are better. Perhaps the influx
here and or time of the season cause things to slow down a bit.

I hope you will totally beat your AF hemmy or whatever else you have going on.
It's beatable my friend, please believe that.
Deleted User 2950

Postby east_1234 » 23 Oct 2013, 17:03

Thanks buttastic, your kind words got me all misty-eyed;') and I am feeling better now.
I hope that in 10-20yrs time, there will be new treatment/ surgery that will guarantee full recovery or relief from AF/hemmy.
It is puzzling why this part of the body is so fragile, and the symptoms are highly varied (e.g. some people experience pain but no bleeding, and others have it the other way round) etc.
east_1234
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 2950 » 23 Oct 2013, 17:35

Ohh, its ok east_1234

As for your original questions yes, many of the hemorrhoidal creams are
counterproductive to your AF treatment. That why I've seen many here
just tackle treating their AF first and worrying about their hemmy later.

Yes indeed some of the creams out there will thin the skin down there
like Preparation H. Live and learn.....

GL to you
Deleted User 2950