Pain ONLY when sitting - normal ?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Pain ONLY when sitting - normal ?

Postby John Stavrou » 30 Oct 2013, 00:05

Is it common that your AF only hurts when sitting down, particularly the feeling of the sphincter tightness/pressure ?

When I'm on my feet, or lying down in bed - I can't feel any pain or discomfort at all (aside from occasional lingering pain after sitting for a long time). I can run and do (non-seated) work outs in the gym no problem either.

In fact, even when sitting on the toilet with the "opening" under me - nothing. What is quite different to what I've read about most people - passing stools is FINE also, it feels normal, doesn't feel like I'm being torn apart at all.

Sitting in a chair at a desk though (which I do all day for work), or driving, yeah it's damn tight and sore - and annoying. As soon as I stand up, it's such a relief.

Am I unique in this, or this what happens to most of you ? I can't help thinking if I didn't have to sit for long periods day after day that this thing would heal up easily - :evil: (I've been sporadically using Rectogesic for a few months, but it doesn't seem to combat the sitting tightness too well).
John Stavrou
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Pain ONLY when sitting - normal ?

Postby owmybum » 30 Oct 2013, 05:06

Yes, my fissure hurts a lot more when sitting, especially sitting in the car. I think it's due to the increased pressure. .... If you were to have a paper cut on your finger... Whilst its a little sore most of the time, if you were to press down on it, it would hurt like hell!!!

OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Scientist2516 » 30 Oct 2013, 14:48

I'm the opposite - when I was having spasms, I could barely walk or stand. Sitting, with pressure on the anus, eased the pain.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby John Stavrou » 30 Oct 2013, 20:23

Scientist2516 wrote:I'm the opposite - when I was having spasms, I could barely walk or stand. Sitting, with pressure on the anus, eased the pain.

Yeah that's pretty much why I asked, as I get the impression most people feel it all the time, or at least not only/predominantly when sitting. I've read lots of comments where people say it affects them when walking around, exercising etc., and/or when in bed hence struggling to sleep - all of which are no problems in my case.

Although what "OMB" wrote makes perfect logical sense too.

I guess it's different for everyone ?
John Stavrou
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 2950 » 01 Nov 2013, 10:34

Yep

Once I started walking things were fine. It as when I sat or even stood in
one place that the burning and occasional spasms seemed to start.
Deleted User 2950

Postby Scientist2516 » 01 Nov 2013, 10:36

I think when you have a fissure, it's normal to be different. Or maybe highly unusual to be the same as everyone else. Or maybe I just need a cup of coffee.

(followed by a pint of water of course).
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby Just 'Pain' Tired » 02 Nov 2013, 02:06

It may also depend on the nature of pain. For me, after months of healing I can finally sit without squirming...even in the car. I think that had to do with stretching of the AF. Walking can also be uncomfortable or painful for various reasons. The AF itself, or chafing of the sentinel pile/external hemmie. The best position for relief? Lying on my stomach on the bed....ahh........I recommend 'respecting' the pain and trying to bring comfort and healing. Best of luck! :sunny:
Just 'Pain' Tired
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby John Stavrou » 02 Nov 2013, 21:00

Just 'Pain' Tired wrote:The best position for relief? Lying on my stomach on the bed....ahh........I recommend 'respecting' the pain and trying to bring comfort and healing. Best of luck! :sunny:

The killer is sitting in the office Mon-Fri. Yes I do get up and walk around more often than usual, but still it's 90% of the time seated from "9 to 5".

I'm off overseas for 4 weeks in a couple months, where I will be on my feet most days. Looking forward to it for reasons of relief as much as anything else.
John Stavrou
Fibre Addict

Postby vdb324 » 02 Nov 2013, 22:25

Prior to my Botox treatment, it was always sitting that was painful. Walking felt glorious. One day, I was in such pain that I just went walking for an hour for relief. I'd sit at work each day, squirming in my chair, trying to get comfortable. Some days, I would pace around the office for relief, as well.
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
July 2013 - Diagnosed AF;nifidepine lidocaine treatment
Oct. 2013 - 1st round of Botox & skin tag removal
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
March 2014 - Spinchterotomy
June 2015 - Diagnosed with Pelvic Floor Dysfunction/Vulvodynia
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 52

Postby Just 'Pain' Tired » 02 Nov 2013, 23:49

I forgot a couple of things. I made work stations at home and at the office that allowed me to stand to work. That way I could alternate between sitting and standing. I considered myself 'sitting disabled' and only scheduled so many sitting hours per day. Fortunately, I am self-employed and it affected my 'bottom dollar' (no pun intended but it's there) but I could do what I needed to. I looked on-line to see if AF was a 'disabling' condition and it wasn't. I truly believe it is disabling if severe (my was!!!) but it would be hard to get an employer to see it that way. You might just try to get accommodations to have a flexible work station for 'low back pain' or 'tailbone pain.' Anyone else tackle this issue at work? Oh, yes, having the right seat and seat cushion is important, too. I think there are other posts about this. Soft seating, foam seating, etc. NOT donuts or seating for tailbone pain ...you need it soft or soft/absent in the middle...not spreading the cheeks kind of seating.

My other thought has to do with spasm pain. Spasm pain (I call it 'cramps up the butt') can occur at anytime. Most often after a BM but other times at well. I might wake up at 1 am with cramps or any other time. I found the diltiazem ointment to be most helpful, along with a heating pad. This is a bad pain and impossible to ignore. Thankfully it was relatively infrequent.

The most frequent and severe pain was during and after a BM. I used 'Lamaze' type breathing to survive the BM's and then into the sitz bath as soon as possible after. One day you will be doing better and not suffering this terrible pain. Bless you. :huggies:
Just 'Pain' Tired
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10