Alcohol at Christmas?

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Alcohol at Christmas?

Postby sugarspice » 05 Nov 2013, 05:07

I am very interested to hear your views and experiences with alcohol. Before my AF I would have had a few glasses of wine on a Saturday night, so not a massive drinker. Obviously during healing I wouldn't touch the stuff, not just due to the acidity, but also the dehydration it can cause and the possible 'runs' the next day!

Anyway I have been thinking about Christmas, when 'hopefully' I will be slighlty further along than I am now, and I am very interested to hear what is a 'good' drink for an AF or perhaps it doesn't exist??

Have a lot of you gone tea-total? But if you do drink what do you have?

My ingenious idea (perhaps not) is vodka (a high quality pure one) and fresh orange juice as oranges have a lot of soluble fibre in them. Sound ok? Maybe not :ashamed:

Looking forward to hearing all your views!!!

SS x
sugarspice
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Re: Alcohol at Christmas?

Postby JHH » 05 Nov 2013, 06:24

When my fissure were active, I worried a lot about drinking alcohol too. I even stayed away from it for 3-4 moths. Now I drink a few beers on occasion, and it hasn't changed anything one bit.

I think a few glasses of wine, or a couple of beers is absolutely fine, just remember to drink the same amount of water as usual.

This is just my experience :-)
- Fissure developed in Jan '13
- Started rectogesic in Feb '13 and diltiazem Apr '13.
- Got botox Jun '13
- Healed by Okt '13, although I still had some irritation for about a year.
- New fissure April '22, healed June 2022
- New fissure 24. December 2023
JHH

Topics: 16

Postby Ever the Optimist » 05 Nov 2013, 13:38

Hi Sugar,
Just like JHH, I also went teetotal for several months when I was going through the worst of my anal fissure trauma.
I started to have a couple of glasses a wine thereafter, but ensured I was matching each glass with a glass of water.
On holiday this year, I pretty much lived on beer & water and along with a very healthy diet of mainly fruit, salads, veggies, fish & chicken had absolutely no issues at all and no change to my BMs.......
Saturday night, LOL, I had a few vodkas with orange (and lots of water) and got a little drunk for the first time in a while...It was so worth it! I'd forgotten the fun that can accompany alcohol sometimes!! and I was fine the day after..... In my opinion, in moderation with lots of water to counteract dehydration, it's OK.....
There's no way I'd go back to my student days though of mixing spirits & drinking pints with no water supplement...I remember how dehydrated and awful I'd feel the day after! Not good :)
As for Christmas, absolutely a few drinks (with lots of water!) I can't do without my seasonal snowballs & tipple of Baileys!
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby sugarspice » 05 Nov 2013, 14:40

Cheers! Here's to wine & water!

:?:
sugarspice
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby Superfissure » 24 Dec 2013, 16:50

Thumbs up here for a glass of water for each glass of wine. I think good wine is also less likely to cause constipation than spirits, due to grape content :).
Superfissure
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby Deleted User 2543 » 24 Dec 2013, 17:51

Cheers hiccup :)
Deleted User 2543