A Vent

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

A Vent

Postby AlexP » 27 Nov 2013, 17:50

So, on top of dealing with this fissure & bipolar disorder, I also had a bad run-in with the nurse at my CRS's office recently. Backstory first..The clinic where I am a patient for my HIV has their own CRS, and he had examined me way back in his office for an infected polyp I needed removed. However, he was going to be out of town for several weeks, and I didn't want to wait that long because it was causing me a lot of discomfort. So, I went outside my clinic & found another private CRS to do the brief outpatient procedure for me. He also did a colonoscopy. No biggie, recovered fine.

But in future, I decided to just stick to my own clinic's CRS if I had any further butt issues, because it's easier & less confusing, & also more affordable there. I went and saw the original CRS in July, and he said everything looked great.

Fast forward to last month, when I had a bad episode of constipation. I strained, & bam, fissure. Been having that ever since. So, since I can't afford to go to the private CRS who did my other surgery, I made another appointment with the CRS at my clinic where I go for my regular HIV checkups. But here's the kicker..When I called to ask them to obtain the faxes of my medical records from my other procedure, the scheduling nurse (who gives people their bowl preps & directions for procedures, etc) flipped out on me. She said, "I don't mean to be nasty, but stop doctor-hopping, & there are a lot of other people who need medical attention, and it's just confusing when you skip around to different doctors". I was stunned. Her tone was nasty, condescending, & rude. I was like, why the hell do you think I'm even bothering to see the CRS again, out of fun?? Because DUH, I am having a new issue, like pain, probably from a tear! But she kept on lecturing me over the phone about why I had to get a referral first & patronizing me. I told her that I didn't "doctor hop", I only went to another CRS to begin with because mine was out of town & I didn't want to wait around with a bleeding ass for weeks. But she was like slamming the new healthcare law & stuff, and basically telling me "you don't need a surgeon". I was thinking b**** who are you to tell me what I need, you're not a CRS you're just a nurse! I couldn't believe her tone. It was like she was implying I was making my pain up. Like I would want to bother with a CRS if I didn't need one, sheesh!

Anyways, I told the CRS about her behavior, and he basically made some lame excuse for her, but he didn't try and defend her at all, because it was indefensible. I plan on reporting her conduct, but for now I am holding off, because I am going to have to go back to that CRS office (the CRS himself is actually pretty decent, if a bit brisk), so I don't want to force the issue just yet.

But why in the world would someone as mean and nasty as her even be in the medical profession, especially working with patients in such a sensitive area as colorectal! If she was that mean to me, I'm sure she's just as mean to other people, and that is scary! Well, she may think she got away with it, but I am going to report her butt at a time of my choosing! She picked on the wrong one!

Luckily, as I said, my CRS is actually okay, attitude-wise, he's a bit brisk & hurried, not sure if that's typical of other CRS, but I've been told my many he's a very good surgeon, so I may hold off reporting that mean nurse until a later date in case I need surgery for my fissure in future, because I don't want to burn any bridges yet. And he's the only CRS in my area, because I can't afford to go to another right now due to my bill from my last surgery. But wow, that nurse woman of his was totally vile to me! I definately plan on reporting her to hospital administration, after I recover.
AlexP
Salt Bather

Topics: 25

Re: A Vent

Postby jr2 » 27 Nov 2013, 18:16

Alex,

That's just all around really awful. I think most people can relate at one point or another to having had some kind of stressful encounter with a nurse or doctor at some point. As if the pain you're in isn't stressful enough for you to cope with, having the added stress of an experience like this just compounds everything even more.

I know it's easier said than done, but for your own health, please do try to get it out of your mind and therefore your body. It's great that you've vented. Hopefully that has helped you release some of the tension. These forums are a great place for doing that because we all get it and most of us have been there too.

There's no excuse for her behavior at all. But try really hard not to take it too personally. Who knows what it was that set her into the frame of mind to treat you so unkindly. Maybe she has a fissure. lol

Most important thing is to take it easy on yourself and find something to help you get into a healing frame of mind. Music, a bath, candles, a favorite movie, a book, anything to get some of that stress out of your muscles and get some healing chemicals going in your body.

:smilyhug:
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby AlexP » 27 Nov 2013, 18:35

Thanks for the nice words. I appreciate them! I'll try and put it out of my mind for now, but I have a hard time with that after somebody's done me wrong like that. I struggle with mental issues, and have only recently found a med combination for my bipolar that works somewhat. But somebody as rude & mean as her really sets me off. I'm trying to calm down, & just focus on myself. The meds I take I think cause a bit of constipation, so I am having to compensate a bit for that.

It helps to have people to talk to. I believe in karma, and so I'm sure she will get what's coming to her. Maybe she does have a fissure, if so, it's probably the biggest nastiest fissure in the history of the world for her to have been so nasty. Somebody like her shouldn't be working with people, let alone in colorectal area.

Maybe she just hasn't had sex in a LONG time lol.
AlexP
Salt Bather

Topics: 25

Postby jr2 » 27 Nov 2013, 19:06

Totally understandable with your added bipolar challenges that these kinds of triggers are especially hard on you. But you're already getting there by laughing at least a little, and also being open to receiving supportive, understanding words here.

It's definitely tricky when you have medications to contend with that can have an effect on your digestion, potentially causing constipation. It will take a bit more experimenting with your diet, etc., to kind of figure out what suits your system best to get the consistently soft, easy to expel stools needed when you have a fissure. You might benefit from writing down what you eat and what supplements you take and then note how that combination affected your stool consistency. It can sound obvious, but it actually can be really helpful to spot trends in terms of how your body responds to things you try out.

you're in the right place for tips, venting, and everything related to fissures!

Keep laughing : )
jr2

Topics: 15