How to apply Diltiazem

Help!

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: How to apply Diltiazem

Postby FissureHome » 07 Dec 2013, 08:32

Rachael, ive notice it sting if too much gets inside but not too bad and usually goes away sooner than later so i dont know maybe it doesnt agree with you?
FissureHome
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 16

Postby Rachael 1984 » 07 Dec 2013, 08:35

Hi FH,
The stinging does go away after a few minutes, but I don't feel much power from the Dilt like I did with the Nitro. Unfortunately I reacted to the Nitro (acid poured on my bottom springs to mind)! So I am thinking soon I may not be able to use any creams back there. Sigh. This stinks.
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby Unhappy Daddy » 11 Dec 2013, 16:18

I use fingers from a glove, a little more than a pea sized amount and apply about 3/4" internally as well as 1/2" diameter around the outside. Once around early afternoon and once before bed. Sometimes I miss the afternoon application but not the bedtime dose. I'll take the slight burning over the headaches I was getting with the nitro. The headache intensity fluctuated from mild to migraine so it was a... crapshoot, haha. :lol:

For me, it does sting a little and gives me the feeling like I have to pee, almost like a urinary tract infection but no burning when I pee.
I still haven't healed 100% over the last couple of months but they are much more manageable. The Dilt + diet change has helped a lot. I drink fruit smoothies with fiber powder or green tea smoothies with spinach leaves and a sprig of parsley. I also drink a few glasses of water a day and have limited my caffeine to 16oz of coffee a day.
Sorry, more info than was asked but there it is. :oops:
Hope it helps and good luck! :rainbow:
Unhappy Daddy
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Scientist2516 » 11 Dec 2013, 17:46

I would say, this is not normal - others should chime in - I didn't have stinging with nifedipine or nitroglycerine. The diltiazem only stung after I developed sensitivity to it, and was itching badly. I hope you are not itching? If you are, you need to consider switching to a different medication.
It could be the diltiazem that's stinging or it could be what they mix it with. Different pharmacies will mix it with different things. all my AF drugs were mixed with something like petrolatum, which looks like vaseline. What does it say on the container?
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Postby FissureHome » 12 Dec 2013, 07:32

Thank you Scientist hello. Ive recently starting itching like crazy with the dialtiazem but wasnt sure if it was that or like a fungal/yeast type thing form being moist down there all the time with the oinments and all. It actually kinda spread to my groin area and cant feel a couple of little raised very small bumps i guess id say and they itch like crazy. Also when applying with gloved finger i noticed a bump just inside my hole. Do you think this is the dialtiazem? Were these the symptoms you had when you became sensitive?
FissureHome
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Scientist2516 » 12 Dec 2013, 10:48

My symptoms were: severe itch of whole genital region, a horrible seepage of clear liquid from the skin around the anus - enough to make my trousers damp(luckily it didn't smell), and eventually a rash that covered my stomach and thighs, and spread over my whole torso and arms. And yes, it did sting, I think from the rawness caused by the itch, which I really could not help rubbing. My anus swelled up a bit. It was red and swollen, and there were bumps right around the anus. All the skin of my genitals got kind of hard and leathery. Ugh! It was horrible.
I didn't guess it was the diltiazem for about 10 days. Plus I was on holiday abroad and couldn't contact my doctor. Once I stopped using the diltiazem, the itch cleared up in 1-2 days, and the rash cleared in about 5 days.
Try stopping the dilt. and see what happens. I am really sorry you are getting this, FissureHome. I hope a different drug works for you, as Nitro did for me.
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Postby FissureHome » 12 Dec 2013, 16:15

Wow! Thank you for your wisdom Scientist. Im thinking it could be the dialtizem(i just kept thinking b/.c of the bumps and it spreading near my scrotum and groin it couldnt be the dialtazem since it was only on the hole)..Even my scrotum looked red yesteday im gonna stop using it for the next couple days if i can..Hopefully i doesnt get too tight down there without it. Thank you so much! Ill Keep yea posted! lol
FissureHome
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby FissureHome » 13 Dec 2013, 04:48

Scientist,,Also how long did it take for you symptoms to clear up after you stopped using it? And did u apply anything to hlep sooth it or releive the itch?
FissureHome
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Scientist2516 » 13 Dec 2013, 09:00

Once I stopped using the diltiazem, the itch cleared up in 1-2 days, and the rash cleared in about 5 days.
I did try desitin, but that was really messy.
The doctor told me to take Claritin, which I did, and it probably helped the itch and the rash. She also recommended a lotion called Sarna, which is on pharmacy shelves, and was very soothing on the body rash, but I did not put it between my legs. I decided that putting nothing there for a few days would be a good idea.
Once the rash had gone, the colorectal nurse let me have nitroglycerine.
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Postby FissureHome » 13 Dec 2013, 11:36

Thanks Scientist again.. i havent used it today or last night before bed and the itch is already alot less hopefully tomorrow or the next day i wont itch anymore!
FissureHome
Proctosphincteranalogist