How do I get a referral to a CRS or a new GI?

I need advice on how to take control of my medical care.

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

How do I get a referral to a CRS or a new GI?

Postby ezmerelda » 24 Dec 2013, 15:04

Hello,

I am new to this group. I am SO thankful to have found this site, it is nice to know I am not the only person who is going through this misery. I guess misery really does love company, lol :)

So, I have had IBS for many years, and have had bleeding with bms (no pain) for years. I had a colonoscopy a few years ago because I was worried that the bleeding had gone on for so long, they were pretty dismissive of me. They basically said, you don't have cancer, you're fine. So I went on with my life and accepted this as my "normal".

FFD from there: 14 months ago I gave birth to my son and now I have terribly painful bms. I had bad vaginal tearing when he was born. I was on some pretty heavy painkillers and wound up getting really constipated...bam --> now I have a fissure.

I waited it out for a few months, it didn't get better, so I asked my ob/gyn for a referral. He sent me to the same GI practice that did my colonoscopy. I told him I didn't want to go to that practice again, but he insisted and just referred me to a different doctor in the practice. I was diagnosed with a fissure and was given diltiazem and told to drink plenty of water, take sitzbaths, and eat more fiber. I did all of the above and nothing got better.

I went back. I was in so much pain I couldn't even stand for her to give me a digital exam. She said it must be hems so she gave me a rx for suppositories. Well, they didn't help either.

I have tried every cream, spray, laxative, etc possible for the last 14 months, but I am still suffering. Miralax gave me the best results, but eventually it started causing diarrhea, which was painful for my af.

So, I called my GI back this week and they said all they will do is diltiazem, so just refill my rx and keep trying. At this point, it has been 14 months of misery. I called another GI and they said that they don't do second opinions. (??!!??) So, now I am at a loss. What do I do? How do I get a referral to a CRS? Or to a new GI? Can they give me something to reduce the pain so that I can tolerate an exam?

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. I just can't stand to live like this any more. There HAS to be something that can be done. I am in the U.S if that makes a difference.
ezmerelda

Topics: 1

Re: How do I get a referral to a CRS or a new GI?

Postby Bettyblue » 24 Dec 2013, 18:22

I am not in the USA, but I used to leave there.(California). I can not believe that your GI let you suffer that long. That guy is a jerk and deserve to have a fissure himself. If dialtizem have not help you all this time. Probably is not going to help you any more. They need to change your medication or do something else. You should go to your primary care doctor and tell him to refer you to a CRS not to a GI. CRS are the ones specialized in butts. So they surely will know how to help you. I am so sorry you are suffering with pain without any help. Plus being a new mom that's a lot to take at the same time. I feel for you. I really hope you can find help soon.
Bettyblue
VIP

Topics: 7