Stomach Flu

What to eat?

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Stomach Flu

Postby powderblue » 16 Feb 2014, 13:57

Well, to add to the whole experience I managed to wake up today with a stomach flu that's been going around my family.
Diarrhea and just a touch of vomiting.

I am feeling better and need to plan what to eat. Any suggestions on what I should be eating (in progression), I don't want to have any hard BMs / constipation, after all that's what started it all 2 months ago.

Please help!
powderblue
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Re: Stomach Flu

Postby Savaici » 16 Feb 2014, 14:16

Hope you'll feel much better very soon. Here are a few uptodate hints from WebMD:

**Drink more. It's important to increase fluid intake when you are vomiting or have diarrhea. Adults should aim to get one. Drink slowly, since too much at once could worsen vomiting. .

**Drink wisely. When you have diarrhea, drinking more water may not be enough. You're losing important minerals and electrolytes that water can't supply. You can use oral rehydration solutions or diluted juices, diluted sports drinks, clear broth, or decaffeinated tea. Sugary, carbonated, caffeinated, or alcoholic drinks can make diarrhea worse, so be sure to dilute sugary beverages if you drink them.

**Don't eat only bland foods. The old advice was to stick with a liquid diet for a few days and then to add in bland foods, such as the BRAT diet of bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast. That's fine for the first day or so of stomach flu. However, doctors say that you should return to your normal diet as soon as you feel up to it. BRAT foods aren't bad. They just don't provide the fat and protein that you need. Sticking with them too long could actually slow your recovery.

**Get the right nutrients. Look for foods with potassium (such as potatoes, bananas, and fruit juices), salt (such as pretzels and soup), and yogurt with active bacterial cultures. Even a little fat could help, because it slows down digestion and may reduce diarrhea. If you feel up to it, add a pat of butter or some lean meat to your next meal.

**Use over-the-counter medications. They're not necessary, but some people find relief in medications for diarrhea and vomiting. Just use them with care, and read and follow the label instructions. Never give a medication for diarrhea or vomiting to a child unless a pediatrician says that you should.

**Rest. Give your body time to recover.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby powderblue » 16 Feb 2014, 14:18

Thank you. Now what about all the fibre that I should be eating? I don't want to constipate on wrong kind of foods.
powderblue
Salt Bather

Postby Savaici » 16 Feb 2014, 14:20

I suggest you go gently on fibre for the time being. Only 25g per day for a woman anyway. I think what is recommended just about covers it. Good luck.

Here is a link to a post by one of our moderators that might be good to read:

a-stomach-upset-and-diarrhea-thats-all-i-need-t4237.html
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby powderblue » 16 Feb 2014, 14:32

Thank you! This is very helpful indeed. I'll try to ride this one out.
powderblue
Salt Bather