Milk of Magnesium...HELP!

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Milk of Magnesium...HELP!

Postby Fissulyna » 16 Nov 2007, 12:09

My first mistake was with Miralax - took child dose and still ended having the worst kind of cramps and diarrhea ! After that I never used it. Tried MOM but again took half the dose and got my BM runny (lasted whole night and whole morning). Than my CRS told me that I should "titer" myself and not go by the instructions on the label _ well, one should hope doctor would advise that before the accident , but never mind >: / !!!! She said try 1 TSP first to see how it works - and of course - it was the right amount for me which is 1/4 of recommended dose.
Try to drink some metamucil because it has two-way action - it can help you go if you have constipation, but at the same time it absorbs all extra water from the guts so it helps with diarrhea too. Don't be afraid to eat because your d. is not caused food or bacteria or virus but by osmotic agent. Eat some rice or bread but not too much - you don't want to get constipated ! I panicked when I got antibiotics and got d, and started eating rice gritz - well major mistake !!!!! Did far more damage than with plain d.. As Kim said - if it is not "explosive" it will not hurt your f., I mean shouldn't and burning always go with d., even if you don't have fissure - extra acidity as others said .
Best of luck, and let us know how it goes !
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby motherluch » 16 Nov 2007, 12:51

You guys are great...it really is so nice to have some understanding and compassion for this type of thing that everyone else just takes for granted. I just ate 2 pieces of white toast..waiting to see what happens. I agree with not eating too much of this stuff...definetly NO RICE...the last time this happened to me was in August when I had a touch of the stomach bug, ate all of the constipating foods, got really busy and then realized it had been 1 week since I had gone to the bathroom. I ended up with an impaction...let me tell you...pain beyond belief, bleeding hemorrhoids, and this is when the tear happened inside of me. Thought it healed, and maybe it did, I am not sure if this is a re-tear, or a new one, but at any rate, I hate it.I don't even know what really caused it this time. Maybe a little pushing?? Now all I am trying to do is find the right combo of diet and meds like all of you, to have the "perfect poop"!! Now I will be so cleaned out, I don't know when I should expect to go again, and I need to take something to go, as I never really go on my own. I have been diagnosed as having colonic inertia and some pelvic floor issues. anyone else have these issues??
Anyway, thanks for all of the advice!
motherluch
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 25

Postby buttgirl » 16 Nov 2007, 13:21

I don't have a problem going on my own, but I recently came across supplements that are really helpful to keeping everything soft and moving. They're by Digestive Advantage and they're called "Chronic Constipation." you can find them in drug stores on the fiber supplements isle. They are basically fiber and probiotics. The fiber is glucomannan, which is a yam fiber that absorbs about 200 times its volume in water (far more than metamucil or even methycellulose). For me, this means that it stays super squishy in my intestines. It has really helped my keep my poo soft over this past month.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Deleted User 5 » 16 Nov 2007, 13:27

Lecia has pelvic floor issues....she'll be along soon!!
One good thing about the AF diet, you won't gain weight and you'll probably lose a few pounds; I have stayed on it even though my fissure is long gone. It's a very healthy way to eat...
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 16 Nov 2007, 13:44

I hope you feel better soon x
It's weird how it affects different people, I drank it from the bottle a few times and it didn't affect me at all, my hubby only needs 2tsp!
Hope you managed to hang on to your toast :)

Postby motherluch » 16 Nov 2007, 13:46

Can you believe I am still going....only 1 1/2 TBSPs of MOM and look at me!! Can you imagine if I had to do the colonoscopy prep???I will be sure to tell the Dr. before I have a colonoscopy how sensitive my system is.
Buttgirl...I just bought the Digestive Advantage for chronic constipation the other day and was wondering what that fiber was...I have taken Metamucil and Citrucel in the past and they have both made me way more constipated even with alot of water. See what I mean?? I am a bit of a nightmare patient!! But I let one of those pills dissolve in water and it really is like a soft gel consistency, seems like it may really work for someone like me.
I am really getting irritated both mentally and physically...I want this diarrhea to stop already!! My stomach is still rumbling like crazy...any other suggestions on how to stop this without completely stopping myself up over the next few days???? I guess I just have to cancel my plans tonight and stay close to the toilet...bummer.
motherluch
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 25

Postby Fissulyna » 16 Nov 2007, 13:48

Ha ha, Kim, you are right !!!! My weight finally stabilized around 125 p, (I am 5'6'') I was freaking out every day seeing it going down ....and down... : /... Now it kind of stopped going down (knock the wood) and I will probably have to get used to my new size 4 wardrobe. Then I remembered - I was size 4 when I was 18 years old - so- I can fit in my wedding gown 25 years later and after 2 kids ; ))). It is a healthy diet and we should look at it that way, otherwise we would feel deprived all the time. Now, if I just get rid of the pain and 4 bm's a day - I would be the happiest person alive !!!!!!!!
HUG :arwen:
Motherlurch _ I am so sorry that it is still making you go ! What a bummer !!!!!! If you are afraid of using anything constipating , than don't - it will just wreck tour nerves which will not help with the tummy :(. Just cancel your plans and try to relax. Keep yourself hydrated though !!!!!!! Try some black tea or Mint or Chamomile tea to calm your guts !
Best of luck and don't worry - it will stop soon !
Last edited by Anonymous on 16 Nov 2007, 13:55, edited 1 time in total.
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby Deleted User 5 » 16 Nov 2007, 13:52

Yes, what could be healthier than the AF diet? I can't wear many of my old clothes, but I have been getting new clothes and I guess it's nice to have a new wardrobe!!
I am at my high school weight, thought I would never see *that* again!
Deleted User 5

Postby Fissulyna » 16 Nov 2007, 14:02

heh heh, you see ; ). I just hate that I can't go shopping because of pain and the rest of the stuff (grrrrrrrrrr...) Can't wait to have my LIS - I found one more CRS that I will interview and will than schedule procedure. What is enough is enough - I want my life back and this going in circles is not helping me emotionally or physicaly at all - I will fall in depression and than what ???
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby buttgirl » 16 Nov 2007, 14:19

motherluch--perhaps you could try one of those chronic constipation tablets. They do absorb a lot of liquid. (I have been thinking of trying that experiment myself for curiousity sake. I have tried the citrucel in water and that just clumps into jello basically and makes my dishes hard to clean.)

Also, if I ever take too much MOM (I didn't have a measuring device once and misconverted oz to tablespoons, so I ended up taking twice my usualy amount) and feel really rumbly and cleaned out, I have a meal. That has always made me feel better. And since I am so cleaned out, I never have gotten constipated from that meal. You might want to try including some yogurt in the meal to replace the probiotics you may be pooing out.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67