Milk of Magnesium...HELP!

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Milk of Magnesium...HELP!

Postby motherluch » 16 Nov 2007, 06:48

Okay, so I was a little backed up, took a LOW dose of MOM last night, only 1 1/2 Tablespoons, and went very watery first thing this morning, I felt much better without the pressure and was happy. Now, I have all of this rumbling and just had to run to the bathroom again. I hope this doesn't last all day. I just had a treatment at the beginning of the week (infrared coagulation) on my internal fissure which so far has stopped the bleeding, now I am scared that this is going to aggravate it. Any advice?? Also, how exactly does diarrhea aggravate, or cause a fissure as opposed to constipation?? If all is soft, why would it bother it??
THANKS!!!!
motherluch
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 25

Re: Milk of Magnesium...HELP!

Postby Deleted User 5 » 16 Nov 2007, 07:18

Diarrhea either caused my fissure, or made it worse. I had seen blood on the tp a few times over the course of a year, but had no pain. Then I contracted a virus which was going around, and had a very sick stomach. I took only liquids, mainly, for a couple of says and I developed explosive diarrhea. If you have ever had that type, you know what I am talking about -- the waste is expelled under high pressure and this pressure can just rip you a new one, which it did me.... The pain started immediately thereafter...
I would just try regulating the dose, perhaps just 1 teaspoon? Personally, I couldn't guess at how your treatment might affect the fissure....
Good luck!
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 16 Nov 2007, 09:22

Maybe if it is too runny stuff can get stuck in the little tear and irritate it but I don't think it would scrape it or make a bigger tear unless you were going all the time.

I don't think you will continue to go all day. That was a pretty small dose. The first time can be a little tricky as your body isn't used to it but it should sort itself out. You may only need to use it every other day.

Postby motherluch » 16 Nov 2007, 10:20

Well it is a little after 11 am and I am still going from that small dose of mag...mostly water...UUGGHHHH!! I just hope I don't bleed again, any sugggestions on how to stop this?? This never happened to me before from Magnesium although I usually drink my Mag in a drink called Natural Calm, not the Milk of Magnesia...
motherluch
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby buttgirl » 16 Nov 2007, 10:36

Watery poo shouldn't really hurt the fissure. It may sting a bit and irritate since it is an acidy liquid, but there should be no lasting damage. Because of the antibiotic I was on after the absces drainage, I had liquid poos for two months after the surgery. I think I healed best around that time.

to stop the runs.

-Don't take any magnesium today.
-eat something with soluble fiber--oatmeal, bran bread, etc
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby juney » 16 Nov 2007, 10:48

i had the same experience after taking MOM for the first time. but i took almost 4 tablespoons (a full dose)! after my first time taking it i vowed to never use it again. but recently i've found that up to 2 tablespoons a night makes things move much easier in the morning.
i think your body is just not used to it and doesn't know how to react to this first dose. my suggestion: eat some wheat toast or something else that will absorb everything in your stomach. take some hot baths to keep the area clean from all the waste matter. and don't take any more MOM for the next week or so, so that your body can readjust to normal.
i'm not sure why runny stools/diahrea would cause a fissure, that definitely wasn't the case for me!
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby motherluch » 16 Nov 2007, 10:56

Thanks everyone...I am a little reluctant to eat anything, I am starving, but after I ate some crackers I still am going...now I am getting a little irritated and am feeling burning and stinging although my fissure is internal and virtually painless. I suppose watery diarrhea can cause burning in even "normal" people! I am usually praying to just go once every other day...who thought I'd be begging to stop going...Go figure, I never seem to get this right and get on a normal schedule...trial and error I guess.
motherluch
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby motherluch » 16 Nov 2007, 10:57

Juney....
How long did the runs last after you took that 4 TBSP dose???? I have plans for tonight...I can't seem to leave my house today, hope it stops soon.
motherluch
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby juney » 16 Nov 2007, 11:11

it lasted all during the next day, i could barely eat anything for fear it would start up again. by the evening my stomach was still a little rumbly, but i'd stopped going to the bathroom. by the next day i felt like it was completely out of my system.
i had just had LIS 4 days before this and i was SO WORRIED about what it would do to my healing process...it didn't seem to cause any additional problems though. you should be ok by tonight, and by tomorrow you'll be back to normal (and fully cleaned out!!)
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby buttgirl » 16 Nov 2007, 12:02

Well, ya know, whatever helps....I was glad to find someting that helped my poo without killing my intestines, so it was either MOM or pea soup for every meal. I do like pea soup and all, but there's only so much of it I can take.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67