LIS on Wednesday, need help fast!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

LIS on Wednesday, need help fast!

Postby ThroughRecovery » 02 Mar 2014, 22:53

I went in for my LIS surgery on Wednesday, I also had an external hemorrhoid excised. I tried to have a bowel movement last night but only a little came out, I haven't had a BM since Monday. I need to go but it's all hard and dry. I am taking Hydrocodone Acetaminophen 5/300 every few hours for pain. I tried to ease up on the medicine but the outside of my rectum where the external hemorrhoid was excised hurts bad. I have stitches and the area hurts. My internal doesn't hurt at all. It's just on the outside. I can't get a hold of my surgeon until tomorrow morning. What should I do? I haven't taken any stool softeners or anything to help me go yet. I was scared to go but now I need to.

The BM that's stuck inside of me now is large and kind of dry. It's definitely too large to pass, what do I do? Will taking stool softener's help it at this point or is it already too late?
ThroughRecovery
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: LIS on Wednesday, need help fast!

Postby Savaici » 03 Mar 2014, 12:58

:wel: to the forum and sorry you are in so much pain. Sadly, the pain relief medication is very constipating, and the pain from the surgery (had this myself) is so painful. I hope you have had some relief now. :smilyhug:

Here is some info on recovery after hemorroid surgery. Also, look under the Hemhorroid and hemorrhoidectomy section, and you will find a post in announcements which I've just posted. Let us know how you are doing.

You can expect rectal and anal pain after undergoing hemorrhoid surgery. Your doctor will probably prescribe a painkiller to ease the discomfort.

You can aid in your own recovery by:

eating a high-fiber diet
staying hydrated by drinking eight to ten glasses of water each day
using a stool softener so you won’t have to strain during bowel movements
Avoid any activities that involve heavy lifting or pulling.
Some people find that sitz baths help ease post-surgical discomfort. A sitz bath involves soaking the anal area in a few inches of warm water several times a day.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Scientist2516 » 03 Mar 2014, 14:51

Welcome to the forum, the club nobody wants to belong to!
I'm so sorry you are suffering like this. Savaici always gives good advice.
I just want to add that if sitting hurts, a whole body bath is good for relaxation, and can help stimulate a BM. You really want to pass it as soon as you can, because it will only get drier in there.

Mineral oil may help. If you can, you could apply some cream or coconut oil or similar, to the area (if you can bear to touch it) for lubrication.

So sorry, and I hope you feel better soon. Remember - however bad it is now, it WILL pass, and it WILL get better.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby ThroughRecovery » 04 Mar 2014, 11:28

Thank you guys for your responses. I still have not successfully made a BM. My surgeon recommended I take stool softeners, MoM and drink a bottle of magnesium citrate. I haven't tried either of the magnesium options yet but I'm going to today. Does anyone have any experience with these? The surgical site on the outside is still quite sore but I've had my wife take pictures every night and can definitely see progress going on. I feel better reading your posts, they are very encouraging. Thank you two for your help.
ThroughRecovery
Fibre Addict

Postby ThroughRecovery » 04 Mar 2014, 11:31

I wanted to add. I've been taking around 4 baths at around 15-20 minutes each a day and they help more than anything. Especially when I need time for the hydrocodone to kick it after waking up. Seriously if anyone is having pain after a external hemorrhoid excision, the baths work amazingly well.
ThroughRecovery
Fibre Addict

Postby ButtQueen » 07 Mar 2014, 07:20

How are you doing ThroughRecovery? Hope your first BM was fine...
ButtQueen
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby ThroughRecovery » 08 Mar 2014, 23:15

ButtQueen wrote:How are you doing ThroughRecovery? Hope your first BM was fine...

Thanks for checking on me. :D

I had a outpatient surgery scheduled to get rid of the impaction under general anesthesia, my surgeon told me it was going to set my surgery back to square one and he wouldn't be able to get all of the fecal matter out. I went home, kissed my wife and went to the bathroom.(this was two days ago, on the 6th) I felt barely any pain while I was manually disimpacting what was stuck. I took a couple stool softeners and drank a disgusting bottle of Magnesium Citrate the day before. The Magnesium Citrate definitely softened things up way more than I thought they would. The drink also made anything hard to swallow. I tried to take my Hydrocodone but I just immediately threw up when it hit my tongue. I was having an adrenaline rush like do or die and got through it. I hopped in the bath tub immediately after, then had some diarrhea about five times that night and just continuously drank water. I decided i'm going to live through the pain now and not take any pain killers besides Advil to make sure this wouldn't happen again. I haven't taken a pain killer since, I take 400mg of Advil in the morning, 400mg when I get home from work after my BM. My quality of life went from maybe a 3 to about an 8 now. I am super excited because I didn't mess anything up. I just got done with a kind of hard BM but the pain wasn't that bad.

Can someone tell me their regimen? I need very soft BM's while i'm healing up from the stitches of the hemorrhoid removal and also the single stich at the end of my fissure to keep the bleeding down, that's where all of the pain comes from I don't really feel the fissure that much anymore. I am taking 100mg Colace docusate sodium, no stimulant now and i'm not sure if I want a stimulant one because things are consistently moving now. I haven't tried Miralax but thinking about it. What do you guys think?

Another thing is that this leakage of pink/brown fluid is disgusting and if anyone wear boxers like me, what I do is take two Kotex panty liners and cut one side off of one and overlap to make one big liner, it helps so much and keeps my boxers clean and my butt dry. Another word of advice, after you have an LIS, get off painkillers as soon as possible because they can ruin everything if not taken with tons and tons of water and some stool softeners.
ThroughRecovery
Fibre Addict