Need some advice or support

Recently diagnosed with anal fissure

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Need some advice or support

Postby Hurts donut » 03 Mar 2014, 10:50

Hey I'm new here and was trying to find a topic similar to what I'm going through but had a hard time finding it. Here's a little background. I just went to the doctor last week after dealing with weeks of unbearable pain during bowel movements, it seems to get stuck at the worst possible moment, halfway in halway out and takes over an hour to push the seemingly hard stool out. I've already been taking stool softeners but they don't help at all, it's actually got worse since I started taking them. The doctor was a rectal surgeon and told me I have an anal fissure, gave me an ointment called rectiv some laxatives and told me I could try enemas for the time being. I'm supposed to just keep dealing with this for 3 more weeks and if it doesn't get better then I might need surgery or Botox injection. If it doesn't get better soon I'm afraid I'm going to kill myself or pass out from the pain during a BM.

I take suboxone which causes constipation so I had to lower my dose. I'm taking 3 different laxatives and stool softeners, nothing seems to work. I think I'm going to have a bowel movement today (it's been 3 days since my last) and I don't know what to do. I used an enema for my last but I was still sitting on the toilet in complete agony for 45 minutes trying to get this log out of my ass wile having a third of it hanging out just to tease me.

I just don't know what to do, I might run to cvs and get some mineral oil and try another enema but I feel like every day the pain and the fissure are just getting worse. What can I do for some immediate relief for the time being? I'm kind of desperate and lost right now (almost used a corkscrew and called 911 a couple times) any advise or support who's dealt with this would be greatly appreciated.
Hurts donut
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Need some advice or support

Postby Hurts donut » 03 Mar 2014, 11:26

Long story short: I have an anal fissure and take suboxone(constipation). Used many diff laxatives and softeners but bowel movements are getting worse with agonizing pain on the toilet for up to 2 hours. I feel like I'm hopeless and the only person dealing with this. What can I do??
Hurts donut
Fibre Addict

Postby hoonoo » 03 Mar 2014, 12:14

Hi hurts donut, I'm so sorry to hear about your pain and anxiety. This is a hard thing to go through, and you definitely aren't the only one!

You should look at your diet and water intake for help here. Stay off processed foods, sugar, coffee, alcohol, bread, eggs - anything that will bind you up, just avoid it. Eat fruits and vegetables, and drink tons of water.

Can you also try a warm bath or sitz bath, or even a warm shower? Try to relax however you can, go for a walk, talk to a friend, play a game or puzzle, anything to take your mind off of the stress and anxiety.

A few days ago I was constipated and sitting on the toilet for a very long time - I kept having to stand up because my legs were falling asleep, and stool was stuck half in and half out, and I kept trying sitz baths and showers and sitting. It sucked, that is for sure, and there wasn't much I could do other than pray and try to relax.

You mention harming yourself in your message, which suggests you are getting into emergency territory and should consider going to the hospital. The pain and agony are serious and real, but fortunately this is a treatable condition and there is hope for improvement.

I'm sorry I can't do more to help you. I hope you find relief soon!
hoonoo
Fibre Addict

Postby Savaici » 03 Mar 2014, 12:42

Hoonoo has given you the best answer, and believe me we have been there where it comes to constipation.

If you feel that the pain is too much, you may have impaction. Take yourself up to the ER if necessary, and get this sorted.

Even if your wife does laugh (?), invest in a Sitz Bath from Rite Aid/Boots, depending on which country you're in. Excellent to use with warm water and it stimulates that area to 'release'. I use mine at least four times a day and it gives me a lot of relief.

Also, get some Miralax (look on google for what is similar in your country). I use Milk Magnesia, but Miralax is the best, I am told.
:smilyhug: and a big :wel: to the Forum. We are here to help where we can.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Hurts donut » 03 Mar 2014, 13:07

Thanks for the responses guys. I don't want to harm myself it's just amazing the thoughts that go through my head while I'm sitting on the toilet in constant pain.

I'm actually taking a warm bath as I'm writing this, I didn't know u could buy a sitz bath so I'll look up more about that. As for the other suggestions I've done just about everything I can including diet and am currently taking miralax but it helps a lot to know other people have gone through this and understand what this is like.

I'm wondering if it's dangerous to combine too many laxatives together or use too many enemas? I'm taking miralax a generic softener and just bought mineral oil, considering others to see what works best.
Thanks
Hurts donut
Fibre Addict

Postby Hurts donut » 03 Mar 2014, 13:14

Also is it wrong to push? I've been told not to but the only way I can get my stools out completely is by many hard short pushes.
Hurts donut
Fibre Addict

Postby Scientist2516 » 03 Mar 2014, 13:26

Hi Hurts,
I'm sorry you are going through such a agonizing time. Yes, we all know what the pain is like. Just know that once you get your constipation sorted out and start having regular soft stools things will improve, and the rectiv will help you heal.

It is a bad idea to push. Lots of us got the fissure by pushing, and sometimes people who have healed will push and tear again. Do everything you can not to push.

A warm bath sometimes triggers a BM.

Try squatting, not sitting. That puts the rectum at a better angle for expelling the stool.

You can also try supporting your anus with your hand. I have found that this sometimes helps the stool to come out in one go. I put two fingers of my hand so that the tips are just above the anus, but not touching it. The fingers are down the crack as it were. And I press hard while the BM is coming out. It seems to help it slide out, and also helps prevent the pain of the BM. There is even a special toilet seat for giving you this support and one person on the forum used it to totally cure the fissure. But I have found that my hand works quite well.
success-with-colorec-toilet-seat-t7541.html

I personally like mineral oil. I haven't tried the laxatives, but mineral oil lubricates the stool, which is why I like it. I take a kind called Kondremul, which is an emulsion, and even tastes good.

Are you drinking enough water?
Are you taking supplemental fibre? It could be that with supplemental fibre and not enough water that the fibre is actually hurting you, not helping. Even if you do drink a lot of water, be careful of taking a lot of fibre. It bulks up the stools. Eventually you will want to settle down to a healthy diet with fibre from fruit and veg. In the meantime, it may be that just the laxatives are the way to go.

Try experimenting a bit, keep a food idiary and make a note of your stools and how much pain you have. Over time a pattern may emerge that tells you what your bowels need for healthy function. Everybody is different in what their body needs.

I also agree that if you don't have a BM today, or can't get it all out, you should consider going to the doctor, as it could be impaction.

Good luck, and welcome, and keep us updated on how you are doing! We are all friends here and will do our best to help.
:smilyhug:
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby hoonoo » 03 Mar 2014, 14:43

My doc prescribed dulcolax 2tablets per night for 3 nights, plus mineral oil 2x per day, plus miralax with each meal... This is post-surgery instruction and I'm not suggesting that it's the appropriate remedy for you... But it does indicate that it's safe to combine certain products on a short-term basis.

You could call the pharmacist if you have specific drug interaction questions. I agree with the others here that if you don't go by tomorrow, you should get medical attention.

Hang in there!
hoonoo
Fibre Addict

Postby dent1 » 03 Mar 2014, 15:45

Hi I was in similar situation to you a couple of years ago- I had a combination of problems - tendency to constipation resulting in impaction combined with a rectocele which is bit like a hernia in the rectum due to a weak pelvic floor so the BM gets "stuck" . Miralax/ movicol takes a few days to get through your system and in the mean time you may need to use glycerine suppositories or get microlax enema to get things moving. I have had to have surgery to fix the rectocele as well as flap surgery and botox for the fissure. I do feel for you it was the worst thing I have had to deal with .
dent1
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby Hurts donut » 03 Mar 2014, 20:09

Thank you for all the replys guys! Very helpful. Dent were you able to complete a bowel movement at all with an impaction? I'm able to go eventually it just takes hours of very painful and very little progress if any.

I did not have a bowel movement today and I'm afraid that's just going to make it worse tomorrow. Even if I talked to a doctor I don't think he'd be able to do anything for another week. I don't know if this is worth going to the er for either.

I wish there was an immediate way to solve this but it looks like I just need to stick it out and do what I can to make my bowel movements easier. At least I know that it's somewhat normal and will get better eventually(hopefully :/
Last edited by Hurts donut on 03 Mar 2014, 20:22, edited 1 time in total.
Hurts donut
Fibre Addict