Rectiv Nitroglycerin question.

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Rectiv Nitroglycerin question.

Postby Loomis » 21 Apr 2014, 01:22

Hey guys, I'm currently doing the nitro .4% ointment. I have a question about using it. The directions say to squeeze out a one inch line onto your finger and slightly insert it into the anus. But, my fissure recently tore wide back open recently and I can see it when looking through a mirror. My question is, should I be spreading all of the ointment inside the anus like in the directions, or would it be better to most of the ointment directly on the fissure area since I can locate it?

Also, it says in the directions that come with the medication to use it for up to 3 weeks, but my prescription came with two of the 30 gram tubes, and I even have the option for a refill, so I assume my gastro thinks I can use it for longer, any idea on how long I should try using it for? 6-8 weeks?
Loomis
Fibre Addict

Topics: 10

Re: Rectiv Nitroglycerin question.

Postby Scientist2516 » 21 Apr 2014, 08:01

Hi Loomis,
Nitroglycerin is very well absorbed into the bloodstream, so where you apply it isn't so critical. Also, the idea is to relax the entire anal sphincter, not just the part with the fissure. So you need to apply it where it will be absorbed over the whole anus.
If you haven't started using it yet, you want to start with really small amounts - much less than instructions say. Try a fifth of that amount to begin with. If you can tolerate that without headaches, gradually increase the amount, over about a week.

I think you can use it basically for ever. But if you want to know how long you should try it before expecting to be healed, I think that depends on a lot of things including how big is your fissure and how well you manage your diet for soft stools. I think if there is no healing or progress at all after one month, re-evaluate.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16