Superficial (papercut) fissures?

Small Anal fissures undetected?

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Superficial (papercut) fissures?

Postby Alyssa » 05 May 2014, 22:07

Hi I was wondering if anyone has been healed but still have the feeling of having tiny superficial (several) fissures. I feel as though my bum is not as stretchy and when I wipe there is a little blood. I had my butt checked by two general surgeons which stated that the fissure had healed. I've read other posts about people having tiny fissures that are not really visible... Could this be my problem or do I have a pelvic floor problem. Tight sphincter?
2/14 Fissure developed
3/14 Diagnosed w/ fissure given Nifedipine
4/14 Referred to Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy=Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
5/14 Fissure declared "healed"/chronic anal pain persists
9/5/14 Botox to pelvic floor
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Topics: 26

Re: Superficial (papercut) fissures?

Postby Ever the Optimist » 07 May 2014, 14:11

Hi Alyssa,
Does your bottom feel "dry"? Does it itch?
It could be your bottom has developed a reaction to something you might have been using on it or to something you have been eating and has dried out a bit - when the skin dries out too much, it can develop miniscule type lesions that seem to fit your description. I don't know your background but nothing from what you've written makes me think it's a pelvic floor problem. Several of us, even after being healed, report that things still don't feel quite right down there and continue to feel twinges of pain or itchiness or rectal pressure/ tightness & spasms for quite some time. It could be completely normal (Do you have internal piles because they can bleed too?) Always go back to your CRS to check if you have any worries or just need a bit of reassurance :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Alyssa » 07 May 2014, 18:20

My bottom feels dry but it looks normal...no noticeable irritation and no itching.

I just saw a new crs yesterday and she thinks that I might have an allergic reaction to difedipine since I've been on it for almost 8 weeks and I did not have this problem before. She recommended for me to stop the medication, (the other doctor said to just put it on the outside of the rectum) use vaseline instead and use just water to clean my bottom, no wet wipes since some contain alcohol. Do you think the sitz baths have dried my bottom? Is there another medication that anyone suggests (that is safe) to put on /in my bottom?

My bottom has been checked by 3 doctors (2 general surgeons, 1 crs) and I have no hemoroids , I have two skin tags from having a hemorrhoidectomy 5 years ago but they don't bother me.
2/14 Fissure developed
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Postby Ever the Optimist » 08 May 2014, 14:05

Hi again,
It's really easy for such a sensitive area to develop some form of reaction over time, especially when it's never been used to being smothered with creams and everything else we try out on there to help provide us with relief, so the allergic reaction was my instinct too. Not all baby wipes contain alcohol and I always go for the alcohol-free varieties when buying them. I doubt the Sitz baths would create an issue in themselves (as long as you are not adding in salts of any kind) but be careful not to over wipe or dry (check the washing powder or softener you use for your towels isn't a culprit too! - that is if you use them to dry off)...I found great relief with Coconut Oil - it didn't cure anything and some people do react to it (itchiness), but generally it's a pretty safe & natural option for some relief. Cooled PrepH again gives me great relief or natural Aloe Vera. If you are in a position to lay off the topical applications, that's always best but you could try the above and see how you go - Sometimes a dab of Sudocrem (baby cream) helps too.
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Postby Alyssa » 08 May 2014, 14:26

I've applied a&d diaper ointment and used tucks last night, I'm feeling a little better on the bum today. I'm definitely interested in purchasing the coconut oil too and will try aloe Vera. I was scared to stop the medication because the "fissure" might come back. Other people have been on it for months with no reaction whatsoever but my bum is different.

Thank you again for your response.
2/14 Fissure developed
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Postby Ever the Optimist » 08 May 2014, 15:46

If your CRS thinks it's OK for you to come off the cream, that's great news - I remember being really scared about coming off my Diltiazem, thinking everything would go back to the way it was when it was all so painful but I was really relieved to find it didn't & I was much better (and things continued to get better too) Although the wound had healed (finally!) I still experienced some of what you describe and found relief with all the above, especially Virgin organic Coconut Oil - (keep it cool because it gets really runny as it heats up!) Also to add, I alternated them all now & again, so I wasn't using the same relief all the time and getting too immune to them! It really is great stuff & I hope it works for you. I also meant to add before not to be too concerned about some bleeding now & again - A lot of people heal OK and still experience this occasionally - the main thing seems to be pain levels - If they are gradually reducing and you're feeling better, then that's probably the best indicator of all that you're heading in the right direction :)
Ever the Optimist

Postby Alyssa » 08 May 2014, 18:23

Where can the coconut oil be purchased at?
2/14 Fissure developed
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Postby Ever the Optimist » 09 May 2014, 01:46

Try online or alternatively, a good health store will stock it (but generally more expensive - certainly in UK)
I always use Amazon and got a really good deal for 3 tubs of the Biona Organic Coconut Virgin Oil ( in 200g jars) and it's lasted for ages - the sell by date lasts a long time. I bought mine well over a year ago and I still have a jar and a half left.
As well as using on your bottom, you can cook with it! or use it as a natural skin & hair moisturiser. It just provides wonderful silky moisturising relief and takes the edge off sensations down there. I hate feeling "dried" out in this area and this helps me with that feeling a lot.
Ever the Optimist

Postby Alyssa » 06 Jun 2014, 22:55

I had a fissure for two months and it healed with nifedipine; after 6 weeks of being on the medication, I went back to the doctor because I was still having pain after bowel movements; dull rectal pain throughout the day but I was surprised to know that my fissure had healed. I've been to 4 doctors (2 general surgeons/ 2 CRS) and they all have stated that they don't see an active fissure and have referred me to a pelvic floor therapist; i have now been to 3 sessions but it only provides temporarily relief just like sitz baths.

After being on the nifedipine for 6 weeks, I felt as though I got an allergic reaction to it so i stopped using it, I felt rectal burning/ stinging, lesions (paper cut feeling around my anus) so i started using A & D ointment, vaseline, coconut oil, vitamin e oil, tucks instead but realized that I only get temporary relief for a day and then the symptoms continue.

When I have a bowel movement (without lubrication its worst) it stings and burns and sometimes I see a little blood (some bowel movements are painful and some are not); BM make the pain worst and other days it reliefs pain, my anus hurts (burning, irritation) when I sit for a long period of time; I feel dull ache (soreness)/ pain all day (pressure in the rectum as though I need to defecate and some days I don't). I have good and bad days in terms of pain ranging from 1-6 (stinging, burning), I feel as though my anus is tight but I have a normal sphincter according to the CRS. The odd thing is when I go in for an exam, I feel some pain during it but feel relaxed afterwards.

My anus feels as though it is not stretchy, (paper cut feeling around my anus like chapped lips), some days it is sensitive to the touch (inside and out). There is no visible irritation or redness (to me or doctors) but I feel as though I have it. When I don't add anything there it feels really dry and chapped.

This week, I started to have painful bowel movements again so I applied nifedipine; today is a good day but the constant ups and downs have me down. One day you feel as though you're getting better and then the other you're in pain again. Any input would be appreciated...
2/14 Fissure developed
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP