Making your own Coconut Oil Suppositories

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Making your own Coconut Oil Suppositories

Postby Toobusy » 17 May 2014, 04:20

I finally perfected a way to make coconut oil suppositories.

Supplies:
Coconut Oil
Smoothie Straws (they are bigger around than regular ones) or milkshake straws.
Lighter
Scissors
Pinch Nose pliers

You can use regular drinking straws if you have a way to fill them..I just found that the smoothie/milkshake straws are easier to fill and a better sit for insertion.

Cut the straws in half. With Pinch Nose pliers, crimp the bottom of a straw leaving a bit past the pliers exposed. Use the lighter to melt the end and then slide the pliers down and crimp to make a seal.

After you seal all your straws (I make about 4 straws at a time ..8 half straws). Melt the coconut oil for 30-40 secs in the microwave or until melted. I do it in a measuring cup with spout. Pour the oil into the straws and place your filled straw in a short cup or any container that will hold them upright.

Place in refrigerator or freezer until solid. Cut off the crimped end (some of mine will leak if I don't get the seal done well enough) off the straw. Let it sit for a few mins. Then you can usually squeeze it out of the straw onto a paper towel or plate or whatever you want. Leaving it sit for a few minutes at room temp helps get it out. Otherwise, for stubborn ones, I use a piece of dowel stick --or anything that will fit into the straw and is long enough--to push it out.

Use a knife and cut the bars into pieces. Mine are about 1/2 - 3/4" long.

Store in small container or ziplock bag in refrigerator. Use as needed. They melt pretty quick when inserting so expect that. I take vinyl gloves (Allergic to latex) and cut the fingers off to use on one finger to insert like a finger cot.
Toobusy
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3