Kenalog

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Kenalog

Postby Jsingh » 28 Jul 2014, 18:46

I have had two lis surgeries and still have issues.Unfortunately my son also developed a fissure.He saw Dr Feingold at columbia Presbytarian hospital in nyc. In addition to the fissure he had moderate sized internal hemorrhoid and a single external hemorrhoid. Dr Feingold says he has stopped doing the traditional fissure surgery.This is what all he did.
For the fissure he freshened up the fissure,cauterised it and injected kenalog. For the internal hemorrhoid he did not band it or cut it but instead clipped the feeding artery.Once again no cutting..He also cut an anal papilla.
Post surgery my son was on toradol for three days and then 800 mg Advil in divided doses per day for fifteen days.Today is the 21st day and he is only on 200 mg per day and will soon stop.
As far as recovery he was in pain/ spasm5/10 for about 15 days which was down to 1 to 2 after advil. He did not have any burning sensation.
Since this procedure is done only by Dr Feingold there is not much information on the internet so I thought I would just put it up in case it helps anyone. My son is due for a six week follow up and will keep you posted.
Jsingh
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Re: Kenalog

Postby Apes » 28 Jul 2014, 19:28

Thanks, I'm sure there are a lot of people here interested to see how he makes out. There have been a couple of others here that had Kenalog, I believe one healed and did not post again. Please keep us updated it could be an important new procedure. Who knows maybe another doctor might take to reading here and investigate the procedure.
Fissure 2/13/14 from Colonoscopy
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
Botox 5/5/2014 work in progress
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Topics: 17

Postby Jsingh » 06 Aug 2014, 10:34

As promised I am reporting on follow up of my sons fissure surgery done by Dr Feingold at Columbia university New York. As I said earlier he does not cut any muscle but just injects kenelog into the fissure.At a little over a month post op my son is completely symptom free.No pain ,no burning only minimal spasm after a bowel movement lasting no more than a couple of minutes.He had a visit with Dr Feingold and was told that it takes about three months for complete healing .He is on a regular diet but does take 200 mg colace every day.As I mentioned earlier Dr Feingold says that he has had one hundred percent success with this procedure...hoping for continued recovery...but at the moment no complaints....My only wish is that I had known about this procedure when I had my two lis surgeries done.
Jsingh
Salt Bather

Postby jlm1 » 06 Aug 2014, 10:44

Thanks for sharing this! I had botox injections 12 days ago and still no relief. I am scheduled for surgery next Thursday, although this is really not what I want. I was able to make an appointment with Dr Steven Lee Kong at Columbia who evidently works with Feingold. I was very disappointed to find out that Feinglod does not accept any insurance and that is just not an option for us. If you don't mind sharing, what was the cost of the entire procedure?
I see Dr Kong on Tuesday so I am hoping that he can help me and LIS can be avoided. I was told that he is doing the same procedure as Feingold.
fissure May 2014
nitro, diltiazem
botox July
fistula surgery, piece of skin tag removed Oct
fissure declared healed Dec
currently have burning/pain-told it is nerve pain
physical therapy, sitz baths, valium suppositories
hoping I am healing
jlm1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22

Postby Jsingh » 06 Aug 2014, 10:58

Somebody has not given you the correct information because as of last month he was taking all insurances.. unless things suddenly changed or if you are out of state.My sons surgery did not cost me any money except for the usual co payments etc.Sometimes the physician might not take insurance but the hospital does and that would cover the OR expenses.Although I have only had interaction with Feingold I know it is a three man group with Kong and Kiran being the other two..Kiran is the chief of CRS there....they all however have great reputations as I had done extensive research prior to my sons surgery after have gone through my personal problems with lis..as far as my son goes so far so good...wish you luck.
Jsingh
Salt Bather

Postby Apes » 06 Aug 2014, 12:52

I know the procedure has been very successful but a 100%. I believe there is at least one person in this forum that did not heal with Kenalog.
If my botox doesn't work i probably will try it. Thanks for keeping us up to date, it would be great if you would check in from time to time. Maybe Dr. Feingold will publish a study and other doctors can learn the procedure.
Fissure 2/13/14 from Colonoscopy
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
Botox 5/5/2014 work in progress
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Topics: 17

Postby asdf123456 » 06 Aug 2014, 16:04

That would be me. I had the kenalog just over 2 months ago and am still symptomatic, pain, bled today etc. Same as it ever was. Feingold doesn't count me though because my problems are from a botched hemmie surgery so I do not really have a fissure in the classical sense.
asdf123456
VIP

Topics: 7

Postby Jsingh » 06 Aug 2014, 16:19

Initial healing of the fissure achieved I wonder what the longer term follow up of these patients would be.....hopefully low recurrence rate...
Jsingh
Salt Bather

Postby Keesia » 07 Aug 2014, 07:08

That sounds interesting! I think it makes sense not to cut more but treat the fissure area.

Do you know how much does this cost without insurance? I think I have to start saving money for this. I want my life back.

Although it would be interesting to know the recurrence rate, hopefully it's very low. How long has Kenalog been used for curing AF? Since last year, if I got it right?
Keesia
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Jsingh » 07 Aug 2014, 08:32

I do not know about the cost of the procedure....have you tried getting insurance through obamacare....wish you luck..
Jsingh
Salt Bather